Question to BLIde free and plus users

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Question to BLIde free and plus users

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi, I'm in the process of updating some areas of BLIde, and I need to know:

1.- Is there anybody using pre-xp systems?

2.- Is it ok to upgtrade BLIde to .net 3.5?

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#2]
1: No
2: No problem, as long as .NET 3.5 isn't a beta

Jake L.(Posted 2009) [#3]
For me it's ok. And btw, just a suggestion: Would it be possible to get code completion for types within themself? (like when typing self., just without the need to use self). Or is this already in and I'm doing something wrong?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#4]
@Jake L: I think it is already implemented. Unless you mean autocompletion a la visualstudio 2008 (when a single letter is enough to throw autocompletion window). This is not supported becouse it would introduce a big performance hit in current BLIde status. I'm making improvements in this direction and I hope to be able to provide this soon.

@Htbaa:It is not a BETA is the default framework for Visual Studio 2008. Now i'm using Visual Studio 2008 targeting the 2.0 .net framework so I can't use the Linq technology, and using Linq would make my life easier as a coder. That's why I'm asking.

Muttley(Posted 2009) [#5]
1. Not me, Vista Ultimate 64bit here
2. Fine, I've had 3.5 installed for ages anyway as it's well over a year old and included in Windows Update.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
Is there some benefit to you for using .net 3.5 ziggy?

Because you will be making your program unable to run on Windows 2000. I know you know this, as you asked if anybody was using anything less than XP. But I don't think you made it clear that it would NOT be able to run on anything less than XP when you asked the question. There is no .net 3.5 for Windows 2000. I had to upgrade a server from 2000 Server just because one of the programs running on it was ugraded to .net 3.5. It did NOT make me happy. :)

I do not use BLIde on a machine with Windows 2000, so I am fine with it. But, you could be excluding the possibility of some users. So, unless there is some benefit to you for switching, then I wouldn't do it. :)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#7]
It is just that Linq could help a lot providing more intellisense in some scenarios, but needs .net 3.0 (at a minimum). So, given the fact that it would need a framework update, why not to update to the latest version. That is, if I do this, BLIde will be compatible with:

Windows XP 32 bits
Windows XP 64 bits
Windows Vista 32 bits
Windows Vista 64 bits
Windows 7 Beta

And not compatible with:
16 bits windows of course
Windows 95, 98, 98se, NT, 2000, Me

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
1. I only use Vista for dev.

2. Fine by me, but what will the advantage be?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#9]
The advantage, it will be easier for me to make improvements on intelliprompt if using Linq. So at the end, BLIde will beneffit of better intelliprompt. I would like to provide something like the new intelliprompt existing on VS2008. I'm just planing it, so not sure yet.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#10]
I do not use BLIde on a machine with Windows 2000, so I am fine with it. But, you could be excluding the possibility of some users

FWIW: Microsoft's extended support cycle for Windows 2000 ends some time in 2010 -- until then it's still an officially supported MS platform that still receives critical MS security fixes.

There's bound to be still a few installations of it out there.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#11]
I still use Win 2000 on quite a few things at work. As long as it is a machien protected from the Internet, then not getting the latest updates doesn't matter.

A machine that serves its purpose and is running fine on Win 2K doesn't need to be updated just to give MS another $200.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#12]
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Unforutnately is is broke once there are no longer critical updates released for it. Mitigated by being protected from the internet a bit, but if there is any network connection at all there is still some risk.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#13]
1) Nope
2) No problem at all ! Thinks evolved and we should too.

By the way, would it be hard to add this feature to blide :
Firefox-like middle clic button to scroll smoothly in files.
Mouse wheel quickly worn... like mine for the moment ^^

Thanks for working on Blide.

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#14]
1. Nope.
2. Sure, go ahead!

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#15]
Sorry. xlsior, I disagree. If, in its current state, it serves its purpose, it isn't broke.

Just because MS decides to do something to it does not mean it is broke.

Is your car broke, because Honda improved on it after you bought it, and yours doesn't have the newest improvement? Nope.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#16]
Thanks for the answers. next stable release will be .net 2.0. After this, I'll continue development targeting a more complete .net framework (3.0 or even 3.5)

Kurator(Posted 2009) [#17]
go for 3.5 ;)

i think, especially for you, upcoming net 4.0 will be even more interessting regarding the oslo framework ( m modelling language and mgrammar for code analysis )

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#18]
@Kurator: been looking for information during last weeks, and didn't get much, apart from some brief explanations about the model driven architecture. do you have any resources? I'm very interested! specially on the suposed cross-platform nature of the MDA by definition (will we see silverlight here or something like that...? )

Kurator(Posted 2009) [#19]
here you go: http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-at/oslo/default(en-us).aspx

Documents, Downloads, Tutorials, Videos, Links, Forum - best place for information I found until now.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#20]
Thanks! the MGrammar looks sexy :D

AlexO(Posted 2009) [#21]
I'm all for going with .NET 3.5. The better the features, the easier it is for me to develop. As a developer I'm willing to jump through a few hoops to get a dev machine up as long as it helps me make something easier. But I already have 3.5 installed so that isn't an issue for me.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#22]
1. Not me.
2. I don't know!, what difference would it mean to me?.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#23]
It does sound like going with .net 3.5 is a better deal in the long run -- however, since you'll be giving up compatibility with Windows 2000, you should probably consider keeping a download version of the current release of Blide on your site as well, for those still running Windows 2000 or that can't install .net 3.5 for whatever reason.