Minimum requirements

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Minimum requirements

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been looking all over the site.
For my latest project I'm now writing the documentation.
Can somebody tell me what the absolute minimum system requirements are to run a BlitzMax application?

For Windows, Mac(Intel) and Linux.

I always like to provide my info as full as possible, y'see.

(Oh yeah, my current project uses Max2D and MaxGui. DX in Windows, OGL on the other platforms).

Abrexxes(Posted 2009) [#2]
Wait...

...no, i see nothing. ;)

Make a small demo and we will see.

bye

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#3]
Okay, and now an answer from somebody who has something INTELLIGENT to say :P

klepto2(Posted 2009) [#4]
The post above was intelligent and just suggest to post more details as from this few infoes you had given to us it is not possible to give you your desired information.

Without knowing what you're doing it is impossible. Also it depends on your programming stlye because even a simple snake clone (wrong programmed) can have a minimum spec of an i7 etc. But a good programmed mmorpg may only need a P4 or lower.

Also it depends on how many images etc are on screen, how do you update the logic etc. From just knowing you are writing the documentation i can't say what the min req are.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#5]
My point was rather how much BMax takes up anyway regardless of the program.
Like does it require Vista or XP (now I know that), which DirectX version, OpenGL version etc.

Exact requirements are for me always recommendations based on the machine I used to test the app on. But I really don't know what directX version BMax uses. I can see the version I use now of course, but would it work on previous versions? Since that's data dependant on Max2D itself, I'm in the dark there.

Of course I would always recommend to have better than the absolute minimum, as say, my 8 years old Windows machine will run the game without crashing but be slow like hell, but when it comes to minimum requirements it DOES work.

And that was the question, what Max2D (and maybe MaxGui) need minimal to run, and from that I can recommend better hard/software (as I already did btw).

Most important to know right now is which DX or OGL version Max2D minimally needs.

Perhaps that makes it all more clear :)

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#6]
The latest MaxGUI (as of v1.32 release) requires Windows 2000+ or higher, and OS X 10.3.9.

As for graphics, someone else is probably better at answering this question but I believe BlitzMax uses DirectX v7, so that would be their minimum requirement on Windows.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#7]
You need OpenGL 1.1 and/or DirectX 7.

Not sure about which o/s versions anymore. Used to be that it'd run on OSX Panther but not sure if that got bumped up to Tiger.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#8]
Thanks a lot... I'll add that information in my documents right away ;)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#9]
Back in the 1.24 release of BlitzMax:

"***** 1.24 Release *****

OS X versions less than 10.3.9 no longer supported. This applies to both the IDE and generated apps. (this means it supports panther)

Win95 no longer supported. This applies to both the IDE and generated apps. BlitzMax is unlikely to have worked on Win95 for a while now anyway (haven't tried for a long, long time), but it's now official. (this means it supports win 2000/me/xp/vista as far as I know)
"

Anyone know any different?

Not sure about the Linux requirements?

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#10]
Thanks. I couldn't find that info.

As for Linux, I don't know if I can put that in a FAQ, as I can imagine that some things can be really dependant on distro. Some may have a higher version already than others. Or am I talking silly?

therevills(Posted 2009) [#11]

OS X versions less than 10.3.9 no longer supported

It might not be supported anymore, but BlitzMax v1.30 (and IDE) works fine on my G4 Mac Mini running 10.3.9 ;-)

(Havent updated yet to v1.32(a? b? c? d? :-)))

markcw(Posted 2009) [#12]
For Linux min spec would be:

- any major 32-bit distro with fltk 1.3 / gtk 2+ (depending on what gui you use)
- opengl 1.1 (assuming you use max2d)
- a pc

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#13]
Alright, I note that for the Linux requirements. Thanks ;)

MGE(Posted 2009) [#14]
Whatever you're developing the game on should be considered either a max or min spec depending on your point of view. It's always good to have a low end spec machine around. If your game runs on that, then that's your min spec. ;)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#15]
OS X versions less than 10.3.9 no longer supported

LESS THAN.

10.3.9 is supported.