ack no class!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/ack no class!

marksibly(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

Ok, we've got a slight problem with the current Mac build of BlitzMax.

Running gui apps is for some reason producing an error that looks like:

2009-03-24 22:26:14.460 test[10329:717] ack no class

As far as I can work out (I can't reproduce it myself), this is just printed to stderr by...something during the execution of any gui app (even a minimal "framework brl.blitz" app).

It's not happening on any of my 3 Mac machines (one identical in spec to the one producing the above error!).

There is a single mention of this in the MaxGUI bug reports forum, but as far as I can work out it's incredibly rare - I can only find 2 google mentions of it.

Any one else experienced this?

Any bright ideas for fixing it?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#2]
Could it be that the user who has this issue, has some corrupted system libraries or something like that, custom to their installation of their o/s, external to Blitz?

DStastny(Posted 2009) [#3]
Not a MAC user, but is there some how a tie in to the ACK search utility?

My curiosity had me watching the Google, and saw some reference to ack for the Mac and built into Textmate which I think is editor some max users like to use. Maybe that has fubared up stderr or stdout.

Doug Stastny

marksibly(Posted 2009) [#4]
Hi,

>Could it be that the user who has this issue, has some corrupted system libraries or
> something like that, custom to their installation of their o/s, external to Blitz?

It's affecting several users, so I doubt it.

> Not a MAC user, but is there some how a tie in to the ACK search utility?

Yeah, I found the 'ack' utility but it looks pretty innocent - the source is just plain Perl and it doesn't look like it's capable of much damage.

Coincidentally (or not), we did find one 'tweet' by a Textmate user encountering a 'ack no class' error...

It doesn't appear to actually affect an app's performance, so we're probably gonna release anyway.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#5]
Could it be a conflict with Safari 4 beta?

N(Posted 2009) [#6]
I have the Safari 4 beta installed (and running). Tried doing this:
SuperStrict

Framework Brl.Blitz
Import Brl.StandardIO

'buildopt:gui

Print "~nFoobar!~n~n"
(Note: 'buildopt:gui is for TextMate to automatically specify -t gui when running bmk)

I can't reproduce the error, assuming you mean it occurs in the one that everyone should already have. Could the folks building the apps that are producing the error post their compiled apps, what options they're building with, and any source code that produces it?

Not a MAC user, but is there some how a tie in to the ACK search utility?
Unlikely. I use it and I see no way it could be responsible for an error in another app when it's not even being used.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#7]
I believe ack serves the same purpose as grep, only a bit more powerful.

marksibly(Posted 2009) [#8]
Well, the official apple cocoa-dev mailing list isn't very helpful!

Sent them this post:

Hi,

I'm the author of BlitzMax, a basic-like compiler for Win/Mac/Linux.

A few users have reported that apps built with BlitzMax are generating an error message similar to the following:

2009-03-24 22:26:14.460 test[10329:717] ack no class

It looks like it's being written via stderr, as the BlitzMax IDE reports it as a compiler error.

I can't reproduce this myself, even with the same OS (Intel 10.5.6) as the users who are experiencing the error.

It appears to be happening somewhere between [NSApp run] in main(), and my app deletgates [applicationDidFinishLaunching] - in other words, somewhere inside MacOS/Cocoa!

It also appears to be caused by 'something' that was installed on the user's Mac, as older versions of BlitzMax which didn't use to generate the error, now do too.

It doesn't seem to affect the app's performance in anyway, but it's something I'd like to clean up if possible.

So...has anyone ever experienced or heard of this "ack no class" error? I really have no idea what it could mean, and there very few clues to be found via google!

Bye,
Mark

...and *2 days later* got this back...

Your request to the Cocoa-dev mailing list

Posting of your message titled "ack no class"

has been rejected by the list moderator. The moderator gave the
following reason for rejecting your request:

"Your message was deemed inappropriate by the moderator. this doesn't
appear to be Cocoa oriented."

I mean, perhaps it's not cocoa related - I don't know, and I doubt the moderator does either - but the cocoa-dev mailing list seems like a sensible place to start.

Gah! Apple are just so *weird* sometimes...

big10p(Posted 2009) [#9]
Jesus. Nice bedside manner. Not.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#10]
Could it be an incorrectly installed dependency?

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#11]
this sounds like a solution?

Raph(Posted 2009) [#12]
I was the one who posted the report back then... never did fix it, and had to stop releasing Mac versions of my apps! I hadn't even seen the fix proposed in the other thread, but I'll try it and see.