Maybe a dumb question but I'll ask anyway

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Maybe a dumb question but I'll ask anyway

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#1]
Buying a new Mac with Intel processor and Leopard is right on my doorstep and will happen on a very short term.

I don't know if I'll install Windows on it (since I hate Windows, and I still got an old Windows machine on which I can compile Windows builds of my programs).

I am thinking to make a Linux partition on it, which will basically only be used for making Linux builds of my programs. This way I can develop for MacOS X, Windows and Linux...

Now I am a complete nitwit when it comes to Linux.
That's why I need to know the following

- Does it matter in which distro it's build and run?
Say if I use Gentoo to build it, does it work without problems on Ubuntu? (For example)
- Which distro is the best choice for this usage?

Now somebody told me that Linux programs using a GUI environment should be made that way that if run from a purely text mode in Linux they automatically start X in order to run the program in X. Does the BlitzMax compiler for Linux do that, or must you run the programs directly from X?

Those are now my most important questions...

N(Posted 2009) [#2]
- Does it matter in which distro it's build and run?
It shouldn't, your results may vary.

- Which distro is the best choice for this usage?
Shouldn't matter. Distro choice is down to what you like.

Now somebody told me that Linux programs using a GUI environment should be made that way that if run from a purely text mode in Linux they automatically start X in order to run the program in X. Does the BlitzMax compiler for Linux do that, or must you run the programs directly from X?
I've never heard this. I should think you'd need permissions that normal applications don't have in order to automatically start X and such. However, I can't really say whether this is true or not, but it sounds odd to me.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks a lot...

One question I forgot, when it comes to installing stuff in Linux, are there utils (like Inno Setup for Windows) to do that best, or should I just keep it to a .tar files that users can unpack in order to install it...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#4]
in Linux they automatically start X in order to run the program in X.

You are unlikely ever to find yourself booting into the console.
All Desktop distros will start you in a pretty GUI environment.

Whether an application requesting an X DISPLAY will cause the x server to automatically kick off an x session... I can't say I've ever tried it. Your mileage may vary :-)

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks, Brucey... The person who told me this, said I misunderstood him, but he realizes he has been very unclear. I'll talk to him later about what he meant. But thanks anyway...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
should I just keep it to a .tar files that users can unpack in order to install it...

.tar.gz works for most people.

If you want to get adventurous you can look into packaging... like .deb or .rpm (depending on the distro you care about)... but it takes a lot of work to 1) set everything up, 2) understand it.

I've not found anything which lets you create a package without requiring a fairly good amount of knowledge of what you're doing.
(but if someone wants to point me in the direction of one that is easy to get to grips with... point!)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
Also, when picking a distro to install yourself: It's a lot easier to get the Blitzmax compiler going in 32-bit Linux than under 64-bit Linux.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#8]
I went with Kubuntu for a Linux partition and Vista for a Windows partition - triple booting. You should probably decide up front whether you plan to have windows on there as well as linux and leopard because it may affect whether a triple-boot work properly based on which partition is in which order.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#9]
Thanks everybody... This information has been quite useful to me.