Bitwise operators and conditions

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Bitwise operators and conditions

Mineth(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I'm trying to achieve something like this (pseudocode), but this doesn't seem to work:

If (keyhit(LEFT) and (state & not STATE_LEFT)) OR (keyhit(RIGHT) and (state & STATE_LEFT)) and not "turning" then
    state :+ STATE_TURNING
    do "turning"... etc
end if

It's about the (state & not STATE_LEFT), I don't think it works that way. Can anyone give me his/her input on how to fix this?

SQD

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#2]
you need to explain exactly what each part is supposed to do. There are several ways of doing it. the 'and' compares two values and returns true or false (0 or 1).the 'Not' will allways return true or false (0 or 1).
The '&' is a bit operator it works on bits. If the value 3(%0011) is '&' with 8(%1000) the result is 0(000). if 3(%0011) is '&' with 9(%1001) the result is 1. if 10(%1010) is '&' with 8(%1000) the result is 8.
first example:
%0011
%1000 &
----
%0000

second example:
%0011
%1001 &
----
%0001

third example:
%1010
%1000 &
------
%1000 (8)

so unless you know what you are trying to acomplish on each comparison it is really difficult to help you.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#3]
Not entirely sure what you're trying to do but...
Not(state & STATE_LEFT)
I think you need to explain a bit more.

grable(Posted 2009) [#4]
You probably want bitwise not instead of boolean not.
state & ~STATE_LEFT

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#5]
grable wrote:
You probably want bitwise not instead of boolean not.

state & ~STATE_LEFT
I'm not so sure he does. I think he's doing a bit flag check. In which case that code will return true if any of the other bit flags are set regardless of the state of the STATE_LEFT bit flag, but of course, that may be exactly what he's trying to do. This is why we need more explination before we can help.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#6]
Careful there, I don't think State & ~STATE_LEFT is the same as ~(State & STATE_LEFT).