How is BMax on OSX 10.3.9?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/How is BMax on OSX 10.3.9?

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#1]
I know the product page says that's the minimum so in theory it's supported but are there any known issues with that?

I ask because I need to get a PPC Mac to make the PPC builds of my game to combine with the Intel builds (can do them on my Macbook Pro) and I want to make sure it'll be fine before shelling out.

Thanks in advance!

boomboom(Posted 2009) [#2]
you can get PPC's that will run 10.4 and 10.5 fine.

I have a g4 iMac (the 'iLamp') and it came with 10.4 Installed.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#3]
i know it used to run on 10.3.9, that was 4 or 5 years ago though and i'm sure i read somewhere that Mark had said it probably doesn't work any more. Are there many people running it these days anyway?

Cheers
Charlie

degac(Posted 2009) [#4]
I have 2 system (ibook and iMac-lamp) running 10.3.9...both PowerPC!
In my 'plan-of-the-things' I've decided to buy a new Mac (or MacMini...), but 'things' are quite different in these months...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#5]
I was using Blitz on a 10.3.9 Panther iMac G4 1GHz for quite a while - until lightning struck. That probably was not the latest version of Max but it worked without any issues.

degac(Posted 2009) [#6]
...little OT...just seen today the 'new MacMini'...and its price! No comment...to high for my pockets. I will start to looking for an used one...

therevills(Posted 2009) [#7]
Im using BlitzMax 1.30 on a 10.3.9 G4 Mac mini... and it works, just have to install the CodeX (?) stuff...

Ill going to get one of the new Mac minis and keep the G4 so I can make universal binaries...

@GA, didnt you already have a G4? Did you leave/sell it back in the UK?

WendellM(Posted 2009) [#8]
I last compiled under 10.3.9 on my PPC Mac about a year ago and everything was fine (though a few, minor GUI tweaks were needed when converting Windows code, similar to those required by Linux). I don't really develop on/port for it any more, though.

Are there many people running it these days anyway?

I don't know about "many," but I bought my used G4 with 10.3.9 three or four years ago for about $200 just to have a Mac at home. It still crunches four out of the six BOINC projects that I run across my three computers, so it's still useful enough for me (I currently have it dedicated to SETI@home).

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#9]
@Therevills: Yeah I had a G4 in the UK but I left it there. In hindsight I should have shipped it. So I saw a G4 here but it was only 10.3.9 and I don't to waste time/money upgrading it to 10.4 if I can avoid it. Therefore your post was very helpful thanks, and so were the other people that have run it OK. Thanks all!