D3D9 driver?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/D3D9 driver?

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#1]
After searching these forums for an hour, I am still not sure what the answer to this question is- is there a functioning D3D9 driver in the current SVN version? I can clearly see something there (the start of a driver?) but calling SetGraphicsDriver D3D9Max2DDriver() gives back Compile Error: Identifier 'D3D9Max2DDriver' not found. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong (wouldn't be the first time I've heard that.)

We're seeing some really crazy (i.e. bad) performance with the D3D7 driver on certain hardware configurations and I would very much like to try the D3D9 driver.

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
We're seeing some really crazy (i.e. bad) performance with the D3D7 driver on certain hardware configurations
Not at all surprised.

My card is massively slower on Max's D3D7 driver compared to the OpenGL driver.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#3]
i had this troble and couldn't work out how to set the driver. i'd like to know too please.

Cheers
Charlie

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#4]
It's currently in the subversion repository. So you could try the dev version of BlitzMax.

plash(Posted 2009) [#5]
It's currently in the subversion repository. So you could try the dev version of BlitzMax.
"I am still not sure what the answer to this question is- is there a functioning D3D9 driver in the current SVN version?"

Sounds to me like he is using the svn ('dev') version of Max.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#6]
I did some testing with it a while back. Performance was slower on some machines compared to the DX7 driver. There was also a weird mouse lag on a couple of machines I tested. I just added it to my program and set the driver to it. This was a few months back when I was going to release a game. I don't know if the driver has been updated since then or not.

While I applaud and give great thanks to the developer for taking the time to do this, it's a shame we never got an official DX9 replacement for Max2D.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#7]
Sorry, didn't read the opening post well I suppose!

markcw(Posted 2009) [#8]
All there is in svn is a directx 9 header file updated by DStastny to work properly with his dx9 module which he hasn't finished yet.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#9]
Any news on updated from DStastny on the DX9 front?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#10]
The last word from Doug is this 3 months ago, so not that I am aware of. Hopefully he will be back soon to finish it.

DStastny(Posted 2009) [#11]
I am still around. Real job has had me in serious crunch mode.

I am awaiting a for BRL to do a formal release of SVN code before I release a module as the SVN changes keep breaking it. Recently the low level TDataType removal and I have not had a chance to fix.

Expect something quickly after BRL releases the Dev branch. I think I saw Mark committing a lot of fixes/changes recently so maybe we will see something soon.

DStastny