Living Fluid Particles. One last step to take

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Living Fluid Particles. One last step to take

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2009) [#1]
So I've been tinkering with a fluid dynamics screensaver for a number of days now. I just love just sitting and watching it and I think other
people I know might enjoy it too. I want to release it as a screensaver.

I know you can simply change .exe to .scr and it will work as a screensaver. But it doesn't work flawlessly; it doesn't preview properly
in the windows screensaver selection screen.

Is there a way to turn this exe into a proper screensaver executable file? And can I give the file a proper icon? A blank window for an icon
looks very unprofessional.

I encourage you guys to try it and tell me what you think. Here is an exe
http://www.andysuderman.com/1/AndysGelblobScreensaver.exe

and here is the code:

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#2]
It looks great :D. anyway, the code crashes with debug mode on with array out of bounds, and the graphics sentence is trying to use a 1 bit color graphics? It should be something like Graphics(800,600,32) instead of Graphics (800,600,1). Just in case you want to release :D
Anyway, really nice looking effect.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#3]
wow, that is really nice!

By the way, in the definitions of the colour schemes, you're using array indices from 1 to 6, when you should use 0 to 5. I got an array out of bounds error with debug turned on.

Previews and settings windows are activated by command-line parameters - see this VB example.

There are lots of icon editors around, if you google. I don't know which ones are good, but it's definitely something you can do quite easily.

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2009) [#4]
Graphics line fixed and out of bounds bug fixed. Thanks guys. I'm going to go to bed and find out about adding those command line parameters tomorrow, because I've never done anything like that before.

dmaz(Posted 2009) [#5]
very nice!

there are proper screensaver functions for bmax in the code archives.

plash(Posted 2009) [#6]
Dayumm! This is quite awesome!

..Just a note, it ran reallly slow on DirectX for me, switched it to OpenGL and its all snappy now.

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thanks for pointing that out. I hate this OpenGL/DirectX issue. I wish it would just work! So if I add this

SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()

to the beginning of my code, I get one heck of a funky printed halftone look in all of my gradients. Everything looks quite cool and not like your average pixelation, but it's still a complete surprise and not something I want.

plash(Posted 2009) [#8]
to the beginning of my code, I get one heck of a funky printed halftone look in all of my gradients. Everything looks quite cool and not like your average pixelation, but it's still a complete surprise and not something I want.
Not for me!