Gnet(Enet) only for UDP?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Gnet(Enet) only for UDP?

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#1]
hi there,
i am using gnet mod to write server and client,i put the server on a
remote server and run it,the client can connect but can't sync
the message! i looked through the mod and find that gnet using
enet.so it's only support UDP???

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#2]
any hints?

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#3]
any hints?

yes, Raknet. It already has features for syncing that would make delta-timing based on server vs client ticktime differences easy, and also supports reliable udp among many other things. Not to mention, there's an entire community that you can get support for it, rather then the few here who actually like or use gnet.

Even though I wrote an enet module that worked fairly well, I still have a lot against enet (+gnet) due to the fact they have so many missing features that led me to dead-ends constantly - not something you want to wrap your head around for a year before perfecting what you want or need for your app/engine.

Just a suggestion that i'm thinking would save you a lot of brain aches.

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#4]
thanks retimer,i know Raknet for a while and it's really powerful,
but also complex,due to it's from c++(for me :P),
also i checked the easyRak,
it's nice.
i can use my code in LAN but i want to build my remote server,
would you mind to share your enet mod if it can do this?

reliable UDP? sounds great,
please give more details on this, how to do it in raknet?
appreciate!!

also i wonder which mod should i use?i got a dev-version,release version and some mod from jimon,and i know brucy are working on
a updating one...

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#5]
Brucey has released a modern module for RakNet that you would be much better off using than my EasyRak (which uses the old wrap from Jimon), with ported examples.

http://maxmods.googlecode.com

svn location:

http://maxmods.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

reliable UDP? sounds great,
please give more details on this, how to do it in raknet?

Take a look at the examples provided with his wrap, and you'll find that it is very easy to adapt to, even without simplifying it like I did with EasyRak.

When you send a packet in raknet you can declare whether you want it reliable, non reliable, or reliable and in-order. You can even set the priority of the packet.

Drackbolt(Posted 2009) [#6]
It's confusing that the Raknet modules aren't available in Downloads on Brucey's code pages. I don't use SVN and I don't see how else to get it.

GW(Posted 2009) [#7]
I agree its confusing. I see people also mention the CrazyEddi gui port, but ive never seen any kind of download for that either.