Full Screen can sometimes mess up the Desktop

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Full Screen can sometimes mess up the Desktop

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi has anyone ever experienced BlitMax full screen (Direct X) messing up their Desktop icons? I'm using Vista running at a reasonably high res and my game is at 800x600. Sometimes when I exit some of my desktop icons have moved. Specifically it seems to be NEW icons that I have created that go back to a "default" position. It's weird.

I'm not sure if it ocurs after switching from windowed to full-screen in-game or just the fact of running in full-screen, I don't have proper data as it's intermittent. It ALSO happens on XP as other people have reported it too.

I googled this forum for similar threads but could not find any so if anyone knows of similar threads, please let me know, thanks!

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
I think when you go fullscreen your desktop resolution changes - which could be the cause - but usually everything gets put back where it belongs (can't say for sure, I don't have more than 3 or 4 on my desktop).

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hi Jake yes I have noticed this occuring but the majority of the time everything reverts to it's previous settings!

I believe it has also happended with other games, once or twice the resolution did not return to it's defaults, haven't had too many incidents recently though!

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
I've seen this a bunch of times -- not just with Blitzmax games, but others as well. It seems to be more problematic when a game is stops unexpectedly without the proper shutdown procedures, I suppose it's possible that DirectX is missing some cleanup steps in that case.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
I've seen it with other games too but it screws up everything like all icons get put in the top left, that's not quite what's happening, it's just the new ones... I thought that I was shutting my game properly but maybe something weird is going. Perhaps MicroSoft have more info on their site.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#6]
if i change my resolution to a higer level in XP all the icons are arranged as they were in the lower res till i click refresh and this is just windows properties display not a game quitting

ok some times it works, but not all the time

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
(Oops. Just found that I posted this in the wrong thread, so here it goes again:)

Oh -- and I realize that this isn't really a solution for a commercial game that messes up someones icons, but for a quick 'fix' on your own computer I recommend taking a look at DeskSave: http://www.desksave.de/

It's a free tool that you can use to save/restore your desktop icon positions, so if they do get jumbled around you can easily restore them to their proper locations.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#8]
i have never experienced this my self but a friend of mine has told me that he gets pretty much the same thing from my games that i give him to try out. these are games made with blitz2d all the way up to blitzmax + GAFramework. not sure if he's had any problems with any of my blitz3d games though haven't made any in a long time. i always test my games on the 2 computers i have here, 1 XP 1 Vista and i have never seen this problem.