BRL.audio or irrKlang Module ?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BRL.audio or irrKlang Module ?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi

I know some of you had problems with the first versions of BlitzMax BRL.audio module.

But what do you think about the current version ?

I'm wondering if it's a better idea to use irrKlang Brucey module or not ?
Any idea about the CPU consumption differences or cons & pro ?

I only need to play game musics in loop mode and use channel with different volume for the samples.
So all the irrKlang features are probably a bit unuseful in the present case.

May I ask you advices on this ?
Thanks

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#2]
IRRKLANG COSTS LOADS OF MONEY

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hmm... 65€ (unlimited products < 20€), 290€ (unlimited products < 27€) or 490€ (single commercial game >= 27€) ... is not that much?

And if you plan selling your game for 40€, you'd get your 490€ back selling 13 games...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#4]
I would fall under the hobbyist category so 65€ is not that much...
But I'm not planning to sell any game for the moment so the free edition is enough.

I try to play repeatedly a sample under BRL/irrKlang and there is definitely differences between BRL and irrKlang.
Notting really measurable for the moment...

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#5]
And if you plan selling your game for 40€, you'd get your 490€ back selling 13 games...

..assuming that you don't have to eat or pay bills and that you've written the rest of the game without costing a penny.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
Eating is so last decade...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yeah "has been",
I stopped last year !
Plus I was wasting my time

;)

Philip7(Posted 2009) [#8]
..assuming that you don't have to eat or pay bills and that you've written the rest of the game without costing a penny.

If you're that dependent on the income from your homemade games maybe you should take a parttime job in something that pay's by the hour. The whole 'could i have made more money flipping burgers in the same time it took me develop this game' perspective. Sure, flipping burgers isn't much fun but 'not eating' has it's downside also :)

But seriously, if you're planning to sell games buying some code to minimize developtime looks to me like a smart plan: your time costs money too.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
I'm sure Mr Gabriel was just being facetious :-)

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#10]
assuming that you don't have to eat or pay bills
I always eat them, it solves two problems! ;)

Soon I will also add sound to my game so I am curious to see the audio module in action.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#11]
Eating the bills.
Hum... Nice "optimisation" :p

Since I don't need any features of irrKlang at the present time, I will use the BRL.audio module.

Then if I change my mind and since there is an irrKlang audio drivers I should switch easily to it if I ever need of something more powerful.
That's sound logic to me.

Brucey
If I ever switch to irrKlang and since eating is "so last decade" I will pay you a beer in exchange :o)