Checking for collisions in a single list

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Checking for collisions in a single list

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have a single list in a tentity type that all of my other game types are extended from, for example player, enemies, bullets and so on. All seems to work well, I can update all of my game objects by running through this single list that everything gets added to when it is created.

The problems begin when I try to check for a collision between two of the object in the one, single list. How can I check for example for collisions between the players bullets and the enemies to see if they have been hit? Is there a way to find out whether a type is an enemy or a player and so on? I`m a little confused but I`m sure that the solution is really simple.

Do I need to use multiple lists instead? One for the enemies, one for the bullets... I`d really like to stick to the one if possible.

Any examples or help would be most appreciated.

Jason.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#2]
its as simple as:
for e:enemy=eachin entitylist

for b:bullet=eachin entitylist

collisions

next

next

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
Ouch... isn't that going to be painfully slow?

I posted an example the other day, where you can hide away the fact that you are using multiple lists. Smaller lists would mean more efficiency, in theory.

tonyg(Posted 2009) [#4]
What if you were to put all the bullets on one layer, enemies on another and the player on a third?

Russell(Posted 2009) [#5]
Yes, check out the layering capability of the BMax collision checking functions: It's a little weird at first, but it is more efficient because you can group items by how they are supposed to interact: Bullets shouldn't collide with other bullets, for example.

Or, check the type of the object before collision checking (if the current object is a bullet, skip over other bullets objects, etc).

Russell

Otus(Posted 2009) [#6]
Smaller lists would mean more efficiency, in theory.

Yeah, in theory... In practice there may also be negative effects on performance (eg. cache misses) from multiple lists. Unless there's a great need of performance, using a single list is good enough. And for something that performance critical, TList is way too slow.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thanks for the help. So is there a way to check the type of an object just out of interest?

Jason.

plash(Posted 2009) [#8]
For Local obj:Object = EachIn MyList

If TPlayer(obj)
	  Local player:TPlayer = TPlayer(obj)
		'etc..
	Else If TBullet(obj)
	  Local bullet:TBullet = TBullet(obj)
		'etc..
	End If

Next

Something of that sorte.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#9]
Thanks, I`ll give it a go.

Jason.

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#10]
Use callbacks for collisions, it is a much better solution.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#11]
Use callbacks for collisions, it is a much better solution.

Only in 3D.

Philip7(Posted 2009) [#12]
I've tried to find some more information specific on callbacks for collisions and i found a lot of threads pointing toward a document on a guys website that no longer exist.

Could you point me in the right direction for some more information about this? Because i don't know exactly what to look for i just get too much hits in google where the words just exists but there's nothing specific on collision callbacks. I know, i should find it myself but it would really help if you could point me in the right direction.

I read this but i just don't understand it :(

Oh wait, just in 3D? I only want to make 2D games. What would be the 'best' solution for 2D in your opinion?
Sigh, i should stay in the beginners corner.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#13]
I don't use bmax pixel collision routines, but for circle, dist, rect, etc, I just iterate each bullet through a list of sprites (as JP said) and it works fine. Even with hundreds (or 1000's) of objects on screen.

Philip7(Posted 2009) [#14]
"iterate each bullet through a list of sprites"

I'm sorry but i don't understand what that means.
I have my big list with all my gameobjects, i cycle thrue them and then... ?