Sound problems with SVN max

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Sound problems with SVN max

siread(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've downloaded the SVN version of BlitzMax and am experiencing problems with my ogg files. Every sound is getting distorted using FreeAudio or OpenAl. If I switch back to 1.30 it works fine.

Any ideas?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
What kind of distortion? Skipping?

siread(Posted 2009) [#3]
No, it's playing ok time-wise. But every sample and the music is accompanied by a distorted buzzing noise...

http://download.newstargames.com/misc/SoundProbs.wma

siread(Posted 2009) [#4]
I tried copying the following modules from the official version into the SVN version and rebuilt, but the problem persists...

brl.audio
brl.audiosample
brl.directsoundaudio
brl.freeaudioaudio
brl.oggloader
brl.openalaudio
pub.freeaudio
pub.openal

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
I've just installed the SVN mods (brl and pub) on XP, built, and ran a small test (wav and ogg). Audio is fine here.

Hmm, that was with the default FreeAudio driver.
However, if I try SetAudioDriver("FreeAudio DirectSound") I get the same issues as you.... interesting.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
It appears to be a problem with the buffer in with directsound. If I increase the buffer size, the "ticks" come less often.

I haven't tried openal yet.
My 3 audio mods play okay (irrKlang indicates it is using directsound8)

siread(Posted 2009) [#7]
Brucey, is it possible that I can revert to 1.30 and just update the mods that have changed to include your Unicode filepath support? If so which mods would it be?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yeah, I have a zip with *just* the files I changed... but I'm at work now, so I can't get them to you til later...

The zip here has full modules, which you might want to try, but it's not the latest-latest version.

siread(Posted 2009) [#9]
This is strange, I tried the zip and rebuilt all but now when I do this:
Local ini:TStream=OpenFile("ToDo.txt")
If Not ini Notify("Could not open file") Else Notify("Found file")

I get "Could not open file" when running from Blide or MaxIDE but if I run the resulting exe it works fine.

Also if I put the full file path it works ok either way.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
In blitz_app.c (in brl.mod/blitz.mod) at the end of the bbStartup() function, you will see this :
	chdir( app_dir );

it wants to be this :
#ifdef _WIN32
	_wchdir( app_dir );
#else
	chdir( app_dir );
#endif

The "bug" is because the current directory is not being set when the app starts.
Like I said, that's not the latest-latest version ;-)

siread(Posted 2009) [#11]
Ah cool. I'll wait patiently then. :)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#12]
Are the sounds working okay with this patch running on 1.30?

siread(Posted 2009) [#13]
At first I thought they were then I started getting that noise again. I'm not sure where it went wrong again so I'm doing a fresh install and repeating the process...