Letting the user create a portable Exe

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Letting the user create a portable Exe

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2009) [#1]
This program I'm writing lets a user pick multiple images and music and sequence them into a show for showing off to their friends.

Currently, the file structure that they have to work with looks like this:

Is there a way to write a function in my program that allows the end
user to take all of those media files and wrap it up into a single
exe? That way, when they want to show off their slideshow, they just
have to worry about bringing along a single exe file, not a folder
filled with a bunch of media files.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Gman's ZIPEngine module might work.

http://www.gprogs.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=8

Can't add files into the EXE but you should be able to lump everything together into one additional file.

rs22(Posted 2009) [#3]
I don't think there is a way to build them into an executable along with the main program, but you can put them all in a single 'pak' file. There are some examples around the site, one of which is http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2249 from the Code Archives. If you use this, the user will only need to distribute two files, rather than several.

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
You could use the exe's resource section to store the images, there is code to do it for BlitzPlus somewhere around here (should be a snap to convert it to Max).

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2009) [#5]
Cool, but could the end user do it by themselves?

Oh, and thanks GFK. That looks like a good solution.

plash(Posted 2009) [#6]
You could create an exe to do all the features using its own exe resources and incbin that, and when you want to make a portable app for viewing the images you just write the incbin'd executable to the HD and write all the images/config files to the exe's resources.

Cool, but could the end user do it by themselves?
Probably if you gave them a wizard to use..