Requesting Help: Smooth Keyframe Interpolation Alg

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Requesting Help: Smooth Keyframe Interpolation Alg

Will(Posted 2009) [#1]
Animations in my game are stored as a series of keyframes and I use linear interpolation to tween between them when running them on a character - but linear interpolation either makes the animator use extra of keyframes (harder for them (me in this case)) or looks jerky.

I'd like to smoothly tween between the values, but I can't figure out an algorithm for this.

My terms:
time[] 'is the array of keyframe times
value[] 'is the array of keyframe values
t# 'is the time I want a value for
lowIdx 'is the index of the closest keyframe lower than t
highIdx 'is the index of the closest keyframe higher than t
rLowHigh# 'is the ratio of the distance of t from time[lowIdx] relative to the distance between time[highIdx] - time[lowIdx]
vLowHigh# 'is the value from linear interpolation between value[lowIdx] and value[highIdx]

My linear interpolation algorithm:
rLowHigh# = (t - time[lowIdx]) / (time[highIdx] - time[lowIdx])
vLowHigh# = value[lowIdx] + (value[highIdx] - value[lowIdx]) * rLowHigh

I've been trying to think of ways to smooth this, taking into account the keyframes before and after low and high, time[lowIdx - 1] and time[highIdx + 1] but I haven't come up with anything that works.

What algorithms do you use that are smoother looking than linear interpolation? I'd really love to fix this :D

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
Is this 3d??

tonyg(Posted 2009) [#3]
If it's 2D then use Fixed-Step logic timing to update the anim frame and then display the image frame in the draw cycle.

Philip7(Posted 2009) [#4]
Look at DMAZ code in this thread:

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=80553

Its awesome! I won't pretend i fully understand the passing of the 2 functions but this is the best working sourcecode i have found so far.

Goodluck

Kistjes(Posted 2009) [#5]
I use parametric animations.
That is: normalize start and end situations (start = 0, end = 1) e.g. (millisecs() - startTime) / float(duration)

and then use the parameter to animate.
Then you can bias the parameter to ease-in or out the animation.
I hope this is what you mean.

example:

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#6]
You could also try splines, like bezier curves, where the start and end points are the previous and next tween points, passing through the mid-point as the current tween position. Then you can find a step along the slpine curve. This would also give you smoother tweening with rounded corner movements rather than sudden changes in trajectory with sharper angles.

Will(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thanks everyone!

The answer was to use Cardinal Splines which I got the code for here:

http://erikloyer.com/index.php/blog/comments/cardinal_splines_in_actionscript/

Function getCardinalSplinePoint#(prevVal#, startVal#, endVal#, nextVal#, ratio#, tension#)  
		Return (((2 * ratio^3) - (3 * ratio^2) + 1) * startVal) + ((-(2 * ratio^3) + (3 * ratio^2)) * endVal) +..
				((ratio^3 - (2 * ratio^2) + ratio) * ((endVal - prevVal)*tension)) + ((ratio^3 - ratio^2) * ((nextVal - startVal)*tension));
End Function

The logic is unreadable because I've collapsed it for speed, but you can get it from the website too - a tension value of .5 looks great on the keyframes :D

There is one trick to it that isn't mentioned: It assumes an equal distance between keyframes in time between prevVal, StartVal, EndVal and nextVal - the trick here (because I have uneven keyframes) is to use linear interpolation to grab the right values for those times rather than the actual early and late keyframe values.

Later on and when I'm sure it's working I'll post my keyframe code.

Best,
Will