"program to big to fit in memory"

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/"program to big to fit in memory"

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#1]
Seriously I just got that error after adding a new field to a type! Then I deleted the field and it compiled. I added it back in and it still compiled. Google search reveals nothing about BlitzMax. Weird!

Anyone had this before?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#2]
Had your memory use become fragmented over time, ie need to reboot your machine? Even if you have lots of ram free it could be so fragmented after a while that it can't allocate a big enough contiguous piece of ram.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#3]
that may well have been it. I didn't do much for it to suddenly work OK though. I have 1GB RAM on XP. Normally XP says it uses half of that (on Task Manager)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#4]
Usually it means you killed off the build of the exe before it was finished...

When you run it, you get that error.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
weird, OK thx.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#6]
You can get ram "optimizers" and defraggers so you don't need to reboot, although I've personally not seen them make any improvemnt to actual performance.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#7]
I don't think they'll improve performance, it's more a matter of whether an app is able to get a large enough contiguous chunk of memory.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#8]
It hasn't happened again and I added more stuff today, so my program is OK. For one horrid moment I thought I'd declared too many constants or fields and hit some internal limit!

Defoc8(Posted 2009) [#9]
You may also running code or another app that isnt releasing its memory..
Run your app a few times + check to see if the memory is being released
after the app has terminated... you may have circular references in bmax, or are failing to release external unmanaged resources via another module or dll..

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
I can replicate it almost every time on Windows, by doing what I said in my previous post.
I'm surprised no-one else has seen this before.

Or perhaps I'm too impatient when it's building ;-)