TrueVision3D Module Updated

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/TrueVision3D Module Updated

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm finally satisfied that the TV3D developers have released a version which has less bugs than the last version, so I've taken the time to update the module to work with it.

EDIT: Anyone who gets the source should have received it by now. I emailed it out a little while ago. Send me an email if you don't get it.

You'll need to download the SDK from the TV3D site as always, and you'll probably need the November DX9 release.

http://www.electronicfiles.net/files/12340/TV3D/Lite.zip

I'll upload the updated samples again soon. I can only find the old ones that Amon sent me at the moment, and I know I have the updated ones around here somewhere.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#2]
Do you mean the update released in November? After reading forum posts it seemed so buggy that I never even downloaded it.

I would really love to use TrueVision but I am too scared about bugs and developer inactivity.

sigi(Posted 2009) [#3]
The latest release works fine here. Downloaded today and tested with the new wrapper. The version before didn`t work for me. No i can develope my editor further. Horray!

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#4]
Well, the second release in November. They actually released a second one shortly after the first, buggy one, which fixed all the new bugs. They just forgot to tell anyone or mention what had been fixed or any of that important stuff.

I've been using it for about a couple of weeks to confirm that it's truly bug-free, and I can confirm that it's as good it's ever been. Honestly, I'm pretty loud and obnoxious on the bug-fixing issues, because I'm doing this professionally, so it really hurts me when they ignore bugs for nine months. However, TV3D is so far ahead of everything else that I feel you really don't have much choice if you want all the eye candy, without compromising on speed or ease of use. It's compatible with pretty much anything with a 3D card in it, it has all the Blitz3D-style fixed function stuff. It will do all the shader stuff on ATI and Nvidia hardware, and seems to do most of it on Intel hardware too, which is impressive. It's very fast. It doesn't require a bleeding edge videocard even for the top eye-candy.

Of all the bugs I've reported and complained about, I only have one which hasn't been fixed, and it's a slight visual bug, not a crash or anything. So I suppose that's better than most engines. And I'm always being told that I'm pushing TV3D to the edge, so I guess most people wouldn't have come across these bugs anyway. There's not much to be scared about that. The wrapper is free, the engine is free for non-commercial use, so it's not like you have to lose any money if you find it doesn't suit you.

I think I probably best summed TV3D up when someone asked me about an animation bug which has since been fixed. I said simply that TV3D is the worst 3D engine out there, apart from all the others.

EDIT: Thanks for letting me know, Sigi. Glad everything's working well.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#5]
Got the email with the latest version. Gonna test it in a bit. Thanks! :)

No worries on me hosting the download and certainly no donations are needed or will be accepted.

Donations are not needed but if you feel the need to donate then please (as Gabriel says) pick a charity of your choice and make the donation to them.

Once I've tested the latest wrapper I'll edit my post and add to it if things don't work. :)

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#6]
I have to check the forums again, I guess. I didn't realize that there had been a new release. Last time I checked things with TV3D I got the feeling that it was going down. Hopefully my feeling was unfounded.

I really, really want to use TV. It's so easy to use, there are so many cool features (for example, I think often neglected stuff like 2D is extremely good in TV, perhaps even better than Max2D), it's so fast and very compatible. What's not to love? :)

The down side is that I find it very tempting to go dot net with TV. Mainly because the debugging power of Visual Studio is on totally other realm if compared to BlitzMax. Blitz is a bit easier to deploy and doesn't require separate libraries for stuff like sounds and networking. With TV I'd lose Mac and Linux, but I just might be able to live with it.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#7]
Updated the download. Two small bugs in the wrapper fixed. Also it seems I left out some important files from the archive. Hopefully all fixed now. Any problems, please let me know.

There were no files missing from the Pro version. I haven't resent the Pro version as I don't like to keep sending out attachments over and over every time I make a change. If anyone wants the fixed version though, I have it packed up and waiting to send.

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#8]
hi gabriel,thanks for the hard working!
i wonder what's the difference between the lite and the pro?
also,how can i get the pro?(without watermark?)
do i need to buy a license?
thanks

BTW:i have a personal server in asia and the speed is not bad,
with 160G space if you want to host something(even a full website),just call me
:P

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#9]
The only difference with the Pro version is that you get the source code, and can therefore make changes yourself, if you wanted to. It was available to anyone who donated to me, but I'm not taking donations any more. I'm not aware of anyone using the source, I think they just donated to show their appreciation, so I'm assuming that there's no great desired to get the source from anyone.

If anyone desperately wanted the source, they could email me and we could work something out. Probably, to be fair to those who already donated, I'd let anyone else have the source in exchange for a charitable donationation of some kind. That way, I don't take anything, but I'm still being fair to those who supported me. But, like I say, I don't expect anyone will want or need it that badly. If you found a bug you needed fixing, pestering me about it ought to be reasonably effective.

mongia2(Posted 2009) [#10]
now work!!!

thanks

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#11]
got it,i will send you an email!!

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#12]
check your email ,Gabriel :)

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#13]
And the blitz world get another dimension ^^

Very good work Gaby ( I can call you gaby ? :) )

Judging on my experiments, tv3d module is very far from what I could expect, It actually runs 2 or 3 times faster than the blitz3d engine .

Now I think I have thought my future support for 3D , and that's all thanks to you.

You don't take cash anymore ? ...mmm ... ok, so I'm just happy I won't have to pay anything for this marvelous module :D . Many many many thanks !

+ >Landscape engine is a good approach for terrain, CLOD is probably the best way to get a large world running with lots of entitys.
+ >Bones management Inside ! That makes all the difference with blitz3D or whatever engines I tryed
+ >Enable to save as TVA or TVM , very good idea !
I thought about every time I managed to code exporter for this or that...
+ >Shadow system is maybe not very accurate, but works very fine. Enough for what I want ^^
+ >large available commands for picking and collisions
+ >bonus with the newton engine for physics...

maybe some negate points :
+ >not available for linux
+ >doc is really not enough, inefficient !!!
+ >problem while rendering meshes with alpha blending... but this is probably the same of every engines...

And now, I really enjoy with blitzmax :)
Another one : Thank you Gabriel ! Great work !!!

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#14]
Bobysait:
do you mean you want to support the tv3d module?

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#15]
For now, as we are trying to make a wrapper for the wrapper +> to have Blitz-Like syntax, and easier access for blitz users, maybe it's not the moment for support...

But probably in few months , yes :)

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#16]
that's nice!!

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#17]
There used to be BlitzMax TV3D tutorials. Are they available somewhere?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#18]
I lost them when I lost my old hosting. I still have the old versions that Amon sent me a while back, but most of them needed to be updated to work with new versions of TV3D. If anyone has the fixed, updated ones available and can email them to me, I'll gladly put them up on the webspace Amon gave me. If not, I'll try to find some time this week to fix all the old ones.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#19]
I believe I have some versions burned on a backup DVD. I think they are from last fall. I'll try to find that DVD in case it's of any use.

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#20]
You can get the latest versions of the tutorials, up to date and working with the latest TV3D wrapper from my sig. There is also a working particle tutorial in there which I never got around to completing.
:)

Gabriel: What are the outstanding bugs in TV3D which are still causing you problems? Is it the glow not respecting multiple viewports? Are there any others to watch out for? I read recently that the path system is basically useless.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#21]
The glow wasn't respecting even a single viewport if you used anything but the default one, but that's apparently been fixed now. I haven't seen it yet, but I hope to test it later this week.

That's the last outstanding bug for me. If there was anything else it's either been fixed or I've found a way around it, because everything else seems to be fine.

I haven't used the path system at all. I wrote my own pathfinding.

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#22]
Cool. Can't wait to see what you've written.

One day I should pull my finger out and complete them tutorials. I notice there's a bunch of other ones specifically for 6.5 that could do with being converted:

http://www.bartkuipers.com/index.php?id=27

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#23]
Kenshin the link on your sig is not working.

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#24]
Damn, my hosting provider (electronicfiles.net) had a hard drive crash and lost my account and uploaded files. I'll set up another account and upload the tuts again in a few hours. I'd do it now, but wifey is watching net tv (i.e scamming all my bandwidth).

Thanks for letting me know about it, and I'll post back here when they're ready for downloading again.
:)

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#25]
Okay, the link in my sig works again now.

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#26]
I've noticed that if I don't run a program using TV3D for a while, say about 2 hours, then attempt to run one, it can take up to 10 seconds before anything appears on screen. After this, if I quit and try to run another TV3D program (not necessarily the same one) then it starts instantly. If I let the pc idle for another few hours, then run a TV3D program it takes a long time again.

This happens with all the tutorials, even the 1st one which does nothing other than open a 3D window. While it's going through this 'pause' it seems as though the program has hung. After it finally starts going, fps is okay (>3000) and everything seems fine. Strange???

Anyone else noticed this? Got any ideas why it happens? Are there any workarounds?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#27]
Doesn't happen for me. Are you on that Windows 7 64 Bit OS in your sig?

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#28]
Yeah. I was thinking about that too. I might try it on missus laptop tomorrow. That's running XP 32. It's no huge drama, just a bit strange.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#29]
Thanks for the update.

Sledge(Posted 2009) [#30]
Where would be a trustworthy source of d3dx9_36.dll? I notice I have a several copies knocking around each of a different size, which is... suspicious. (Top marks to Gabriel, BTW -- the samples that come with TV3D don't run at all on my machine but the BMax wrapper works fine.)

Cheers for the tutorials kenshin, I wouldn't have time to check out the module without them.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#31]
The DirectX RunTime Web Installer will spot which files are missing and download just those.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#32]
The 'pause' doesn't happen on XP, so it must be a Win7 x64 Beta only 'feature'. I can't recall it ever happening on Vista x64. Hopefully it's only a Beta thing as I've tried fullscreen, windowed and also pointing TV3D at a BMax window, but regardless it still happens.

Not too concerned at the moment, but I'll be interested to see what happens in the full version of Win7 when it's released. Who knows? Maybe then there will be Win7 specific drivers for the gfx card which fix the problem.

Thankfully nothing else BMax or TV3D related seems to be affected by it.

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#33]
Looks like it was a problem with the TV3D developer license system and me not updating drivers.

I just noticed that I had to regenerate a new license every time I rebooted otherwise I'd get exceptions/crashes similar to ones you'd get from a corrupt/incorrect license file. Fixed this by removing some unnecessary hardware (IDE Raid controller, 2 DVD drives) which were not being picked up in Device Manager (don't ask) and also updating drivers for my network controller. Now my license survives a reboot and the 'pause' is gone.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#34]
That's good news. They do seem to have had some issues with the developer licenses. I just hope the end user licenses are solid.

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#35]
I spoke too soon. I just had that 'pause' again, but the license is still okay which is good.

I think they're dev license checks are too strict. I can understand a MAC address check, but anything else is overkill imho.

Oh well, here's hoping the pause automagically disappears in the Win7 final release.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#36]
What are the main reasons why you use TV in BlitzMax? I have thought about this before and I am once against thinking about this.

For me the biggest reasons are that I get audio, network and some other libraries for free with BlitzMax. With .Net I would have to buy them separately. Another bonus is that my application won't require dot net runtime (or does TV itself require it?).

On the other hand with BlitzMax I am dependant on updations of the wrapper, I can't be sure that all TV functions work (do they?) and I can't use TV "plugins" (like the one that lets you play SWF apps in textures). I also can't use any of the goodies that Visual Studio gives, like that handy debugger, intellisense or any dot net components or dialogs.

Are there some other reasons why you use TV in BlitzMax? I just want to be sure I am not missing something.

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#37]
for me:
easy and fast,is what i want.
that's up to what you want!

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#38]
What are the main reasons why you use TV in BlitzMax?

I can code faster and more reliably in BlitzMax than I can in C++. I marginally prefer Blide to Visual Studio. I'm more comfortable with TList and TMap than I am with std::vector and std::map.

(or does TV itself require it?).

No it doesn't. TV is written in unmanaged C++.

I can't be sure that all TV functions work (do they?)

Every function has been wrapped, and there are currently no reported bugs waiting to be fixed. I'm not prepared to say there aren't any bugs in there, because that's an absolute, and I can't possibly be 100% certain. All I know is that I fix bugs when they're reported or when I find them myself (I work with TV on a daily basis) and at the time of writing, I've fixed everything that's been found.

I also can't use any of the goodies that Visual Studio gives, like that handy debugger, intellisense or any dot net components or dialogs.

Blide most definitely has intellisense, both for BlitzMax itself and the TV3D wrapper specifically. You may need BlidePlus to get intellisense in third party closed source modules though, but BlidePlus is an exceptionally good product. It's well worth it.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#39]
I'm not thinking about going C++, but C# and VB.Net are options. Development with BMax is still going to be faster, tho.

I guess there is no way to get things like EvoGUI or EEGui to work in Max?

I have to get BlidePlus and try it out. Does it improve debugging in any way?

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#40]
if somebody don't know,tv3d65 had a new version out!!!

http://www.truevision3d.com/forums/news_and_announcements/new_release-t18866.0.html

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#41]
Thanks, I did spot it. I'm slightly concerned by the mention of using the DX10 compiler for shaders. I want to make sure that doesn't require having DX10 installed, and hence mean it only works on Vista. I can't imagine they would do something like that, but I want to be sure before I update the wrapper and people want to lynch me for breaking their work on everything but Vista.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#42]
I installed Directx10 for windows XP and it worked,

I tried to make a chasecam but it had a unhandled memory exception:

CTVCamera_ChaseCameraActor(pactor,cTV3DVECTOR_Create(0,2,-5),ctv3dvector_create(0,0,0),ctv3dvector_create(0,0,0),2,1,2,1,1)

all I did was add this line to the animated character with glow code sample

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#43]
I don't even know where to begin telling you what's wrong with that line of code you've added. :)

Well firstly, you really shouldn't be trying to use internal functions. There is no procedural interface to TV3D. It's an object oriented library, and the wrapper is therefore object oriented. In addition to that, you're passing the actor where the camera should be passed. You're passing the BlitzMax actor object instead of the C++ object (if you absolutely must use the internal functions, you need to be passing the internal C++ objects stored in the BlitzMax object) you pass three vectors but the function only takes two, and you're calling another internal function to create vectors but you're not storing the result so they will each go out of scope immediately. If the GC happened to collect any of those before TV3D had finished dealing with them, that would crash the DLL too.

The ints and floats on the end might be ok. :)

I would show you how the line should look, but the AnimatedCharacterWithGlow sample doesn't even create a camera so I don't really know how to show you. EDIT: Ok, I think I have it now.

I think what you're trying to do would be achieved by adding the following line before the line commented "Main Loop"

Global pCamera:cTVCamera=pScene.GetCamera()

That retrieves the scene camera.

Then immediately after that you can add:

pCamera.ChaseCameraActor(pActor,cTV_3DVECTOR.Create(0,2,-5),cTV_3DVECTOR.Create(0,0,0),2,1,2,1,True)

That tells the camera to chase the actor with the parameters you chose. I've never used a chase camera, so I have no idea if you just call it once or if you need to call it in the main loop. Either way seems to work just fine so possibly it only needs to be called once.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#44]
thanks for the help,

I was looking in the assembly files for the functions, because I didnt know which command to use :)

I am just using commands from the official TV3D manual now though!

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#45]
Do you use Blide (Plus) as an IDE? If you do, it will make things a lot easier, as it will give you intellisense on all the classes. If you use Blide, but not the Plus edition, send me an email and I can let you have a slightly different version of the library which will still give you intellisense on all the classes.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#46]
yes can you send me the email plz?

The manual on the website is only 6.1
and apparently they added sliding collisions recently

Volker(Posted 2009) [#47]
Oh, sliding collisions? Do you have more infos or a link?
The SDK 6.3 contains a helpfile in the doc folder, which I
use until there is a more actual one.
I think it won't hurt anyone if I send it to you via mail if you wish.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#48]
yes please,

I just searched truevision and sliding collisions in google and it showed me a forum post saying that 6.5 had them

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#49]
Hi,

What about a Blitz3D wrapper? ;-)

JP

Diban(Posted 2009) [#50]
Is it still Possible To have the pro wrapper TV3dModule
Thank You

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#51]
Gabriel, what hosting service are you using?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#52]
Is it still Possible To have the pro wrapper TV3dModule

Yes, but at the moment, I'm using an unreleased version of TV3D. (They've been promising to release it "any day now" for the past six months.) For that reason, I'm not updating the public downloads because people will try (and fail) to use it with the most recent public version of TV3D. If you want it, I'll email you with it. Is the email address in your profile ok to receive attachments of 3-4mb?

Gabriel, what hosting service are you using?

Electronic Files.

Diban(Posted 2009) [#53]
Yes Its possible to send me the mail at the profile mail,
Thank You

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#54]
Hi Ivan,

I'm sorry I didn't get around to sending the module sooner. I was keeping an eye out for your reply on saturday, but I got sidetracked working and haven't checked back since.

Please accept my apologies for not sending it sooner.

Diban(Posted 2009) [#55]
Not A Plobleem Thank You very MUCH

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#56]
@Gabriel

Will a new Pro Wrapper be made available for the new release.
Currently im setting up my Win7 pc and would be nice to start of with a clean setup :)

btw Your game is looking awsome :)

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#57]
bump :)

Is there anything new i need to do to use TV3d and wrapper on Win7 ?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#58]
http://www.electronicfiles.net/files/12340/TV3D/CurrentTV.zip

There's something funky I can't pinpoint with the version of TV they've got for download now, so I've included the DLL and the lib in my zip to ensure you're using the one I know works.

Otherwise, installation is the same as ever, and all the Newton 2.0 stuff is in there.

Is there anything new i need to do to use TV3d and wrapper on Win7 ?

I don't have Windows 7, so I can't say for sure. I can't think of anything which would have changed offhand though.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#59]
Still cant get it working could you tell me where to install all the files please as if doing a new install

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#60]
The libs go in BlitzMax\Lib
The DLLs go in System\Win32 or the application folder
tv3d65.mod folder goes in BlitzMax\mod\glimmer.mod

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#61]
is it possible to send me the source version as i am a pro owner ?

currently it will not run the simple window example it just hangs

isnt the dll meant to be tv3dc65.dll ?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#62]
http://www.electronicfiles.net/files/12340/TV3D/source.zip

I can't think of any reason for it hanging.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#63]
Thankyou :)

but sadly still no bone for me im gonna double check on the directx side is installed

isnt the dll meant to be tv3dc65.dll ?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#64]
No. The module has had a complete rewrite since then and no longer uses the GCC version of the library.

This should ensure that all DX9 files are up to date.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#65]
could you post a new version of simple window using this version please so i can check my coding structure is correct

also a bmx.exe would be good

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#66]
Just to let you know it was the lic file thats what was giving me all the errors i just deleted it and bingo all working just gonna have to wait for the new version of the wrapper to remove the logo :)

now i got to do some speed tests :)

so yep Window7 works fine with TV3d no need for installing XpMode

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#67]
Ah, glad you got it fixed. The license doesn't work? You've downloaded the fixed version of LicenseSign? (Apparently the version that was initially uploaded was the wrong one.)

SabataRH(Posted 2009) [#68]
Hi Gabriel, just to confirm - the current wrapper release will work fine with the new licensing system that TV has in place? Hate to spend so much time developing a project and not being able to offically license it.. thanks for the heads up.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#69]
Works fine for me, and all my beta testers, so that covers the developer and application licenses. I didn't hear back from Duckstab about him not being to remove the logo, mind you.