BNetEx authors, how to contact?!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BNetEx authors, how to contact?!

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#1]
Greetings,

We plan to build a new protocol on top of BNetEx instead of BlitzMax sockets. This way we gain good TCP and UDP support.
However, i found BNetEx has an MIT licence. Im not exactly sure if this means that i have to mention their names in my finished game, or just with the new protocol source code, or maybe both? And wheter we would be allowed to sell the new protocol, using (or even, embedding) BNetEx.
So, i would like to contact the authors to talk things trough.
Any suggestions/ tips/ ideas?

Thanks a lot!

-edit-
p.s. can anyone confirm if BNetEx sockets are indeed faster than BlitzMax sockets?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
However, i found BNetEx has an MIT licence.

It generally means you can do whatever you like with the source. You need to include copyright notices with the original source.

And it's always nice to mention names in credits somewhere :-)

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#3]
i dont mind to mention them in the source :) but if it would mean i had to make a credits screen just for them, inside my game, thats a bit to much :) i then rather pay a small fee... but im not even sure if that is actualy required.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#4]
No you don't need to mention the author.

Programmer behind BNet is Vertex

Is it faster: likely not as it uses the same sockets. But it works correctly as it takes window sizes and many more things into consideration which you likely forget and which cause interesting problems when using them

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#5]
what have window sizes todo with sockets? lol

Mahan(Posted 2008) [#6]

i dont mind to mention them in the source :) but if it would mean i had to make a credits screen just for them, inside my game, thats a bit to much :) i then rather pay a small fee... but im not even sure if that is actualy required.

Well, imho if my own game has an about-/credits-screen I have no problems with giving credit where credit is due even though it was not enforced by a license.

But more to the point. MIT is a BSD-like license which means that you have to retain the copyright notice in the headers. (i.e. constant strings).

Anecdote about this: Microsoft didn't write the TCP/IP-stack in Windows NT4, they just used BSD-Unix code. Therefore if you search ping.exe (and other network commands) for strings (in NT4 obviously), you will find references to unix and Berkeley (BSD=Berkeley Software Distribution) inside it because Microsoft had to adhere to the BSD license. There is however not a single mention on the screen while using these commands about this heritage in the "Microsoftized versions" of these tools (wonder why he, he).

Yan(Posted 2008) [#7]
Oh dear...

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#8]

Oh dear...

Indeed

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#9]
@Mahan, yes i agree. point is i dont have one, so it would mean making one and making room for it just for this MIT.

@Yan / tonyg
I misunderstood you guys, i tought for a sec that it was about the height and width of the game window. Yet you meant TCP windows, i had to look it up, to find out we are already doing this, except we dont have the technical term for it.

Anyway, mission accomplished!, our protocol is done and tested last night, and its hell fast, its amazing and we assume up for MMORPG loads (along with the hardware in store). It uses both TCP and UDP.
The serverside is written in Python tough.. using the Twised Networing library.

But back on topic any ideas how i can contact these Vertex?

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#10]
Look up his profile. You can get his email address and web page(German) from there.

Vertex(Posted 2008) [#11]
Hi P.Weijtenburg, you can contact me on bundy_s (at) web.de or via http://vertex.dreamfall.at/contact.php

Andrew (from english board?) have contact me and said, that he have a english translation from original documentation. But my answer emails failed to sent.

If there any interests, there is a new version of BNetEx on my PC with faster buffer handling (capcitary buffers) and a bug fix (thanks to hamZta) for ICMP ping on Mac.

cu Olli

plash(Posted 2008) [#12]
No you don't need to mention the author.
Actually, you do. Vertex, didn't you add that to the license?

Vertex(Posted 2008) [#13]
I have choose the MIT license. Summarized: you can do anything with this module / code but und the restriction to name the author Oliver Skawronek. This can done in a readme or license text. So no need to public your code, link dynamicaly or so on. Only name the author :)