Special Effects Programming Job

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Special Effects Programming Job

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

If found there are quite some skilled uses arround here and i tought, hence, lets throw this job on the board.

I need some special effects for my RPG (which technicly, is a 3D world) so dont mistake these effects with simple 2D platformer effects. i think there should be some zooming to get this done.

I am looking for:

> snowfall with sudden windrushes (flakes are stired up and calm down) must be able turn that on/off and the frequency of the windrushes.
Optionaly i would like to set the main direction of the snowfall preferably, automaticly randomised, so they move to left and right like real snow.
Also i want to configure the amount of snow. if possible add an impact/fade effect when it hits the bottom. (fullscreen effect)

> rainfall from different directions (left or right). Also i want to configure the amount of rain.
If possible add lighting and thunder must be realisticly random touh. also with impact/fade effect.
i would need to be able to configure the location (X,Y) on where the lighting impacts!!!) (fullscreen effect with precision for lighting)

> hailstorm from different directions. behaves the same as rain, but comes down a lot faster and obviously has a different texture. What is different is that its impact should make small particles. (fullscreen effect)

> meteorstorm. same as hailstorm, but with the ability to (just as with the thunder) control a bunch of meteors to impact on a specific location. (fullscreen effect with precision for one or more meteors)

> fire effect that i can create with different preset shapes e.g. square, line or circular, and it should fill these shapes with fire. e.g. small circular fire dot on for an arrow, a big square for on a building, a line for a wall on fire. This same engine could be used to light the meteors. e.g. add a circle shaped fire particle generator to the metors to set it on fire.

Then other effects i would like to have is:
> tornado/whirlwind that moves over the map through a list of X,Y positions.
> clouds/fog/moisty overall effect
> blur/gloom overall effect
> an overall wave effect (for underwater scenes)
> sandstorm same as with rain, but a whole lot more particles, possibly pixels that come in waves.

Other things that are to be considered are small particle emiter objects for various purposes.

>Fontain
>Explosions
>Smoke
>Fire sparks
etc...

If you can do any of these please let me know.

Bremer(Posted 2008) [#2]
They would probably need to know, how you have created your 3D world, is this directX, opengl, which 3D lib. are you using, as each of them would have different approaches to how its interfaced.

Also it seems like a fairly big job for someone to just do for the fun of it, so you might want to detail what exactly they will get from doing this.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#3]
it is 2D. but technicly, i use a 3D (x,y,z) map to create the world. but the result is basicly just like any RPG such as Pokemon, Zelda, etc.. except that i work with real depth. but its 2D with pixel tiles.
im building it in openGL (max2D lib) since it is suppose to be cross-platform.

i do not want to mention the numbers but lets say i have a decent budget, and if anyone can make me a good price, we have a deal.

reason for outsourcing is so that i can focus on other things in development. I have got already 2 people working for me of which one is doing networking, and the other graphics. so im most likely looking for a hobbist or freelancer.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#4]
Do you need to manipulate the effects in a 3d space or strictly 2d space?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
I'm guessing he means that everything is 2D, only that he will be drawing it in a pseudo 3D style where tiles towards the top of the screen are implied to be further away. Like in Zelda.

Effects will be 2D, from what I understand.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2008) [#6]
How good is the RPG? Storyline, gameplay etc.

Is it so good like Chrono Trigger (SNES version)?

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yes brucey you are correct :)
(i silently hoped you would help =) your work is very good)

ShadowTurtle,
i dont think that has much todo with the job specification. i just need the effects engine done :)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#8]
Does this job also require graphics creation or do you already have a graphic artist on board?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#9]
I have got already 2 people working for me of which one is doing networking, and the other graphics.

:-)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#10]
Yep, but I wasn't sure if the on board artists would be available to create the graphics used for the fx. ;)

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#11]
ah, graphics would be provided. i can send them to you in a zip file. but we would not like to restrict the coder so feal free to create your own dummies or do it another way.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#12]
When you have time, if you're interested, I would like you to send your payment proposal for this job to: playmge@.... I will respond privately to your offer. Thanks!

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#13]
Ofcourse. I will send you an e-mail.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#14]
Did you get anywhere from the last time? I know its nice to buy stuff in but if you're coding an RPG these effects should have been pretty simple for the programmers. If you show a demo of the RPG it might help show people what sort of style you're after.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#15]
tonyg, i am the only one coding the game beside the person whois doing networking, but he is doing networking and i also hire him. I haven't worked on it for a year because of various reasons. One being lack of time and lack of budget. This has changed and the time is now better then ever. I am currently in contact with a few people and i hope to round this up quickly so i can move on. Life is easy, but you cannot possibly do everything by yourself. Since i do not have budget for a fulltime staff, its best to hire some people here and there to speed up developmentm and so that i can focus on the parts i want to be working on. There is no demo of the RPG because its in development. Also, the style is along the lines of any professional RPG, but i dont see how that is related to the job description. Do you consider helping? if you do, please send me an e-mail and i could update you further.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#16]
I ask because people might already have something which might fit straight in.
Professional RPG like Baldur's Gate are VERY difficult. Even top quality indie RPG like Eschalon took years.
Getting a particle editor (like Smash Particle) or even checking MGE's FX thing (when available) might give you the tool to do the job yourself and be able to adjust it to fit changing needs.
I know you're not looking for advice but, without anything to show, it is an odd time to get somebody to write specific FX.
Still, I'm not the best person to give advice (maybe GA or Tachyon might be better) and there'll be enough people to say 'go for it' which, I guess, is what your'e doing.
If I had the time I would love to do this sort of thing.
Good luck.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#17]
Yes, Eschalon is very nice. My game will be a bit different in style, i guess you are right about the graphics but right now there isnt hardly anything to show. I think what comes close is the style of RPG Maker series, a mixture of pokemon and zelda really, but defently a unique work, the game is aimed for people aging from 12 to 25 and woman also. It has both a social and economic cycle and fighting is not more than 40% of gameplay.

gives a bit of an idea i guess, ours will be pixelated tough. And probably totaly different, but the idea with the characters and the social thing is certainly one of the main features.
It is going to be a whole new concept of gameplay, im almost confident, not seen before!

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#18]
perhaps you should consider issueing an RFP with the specifics. if you are willing to spend budget, then a formal process may save you some grief and missed expectations.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#19]
And where would i do that? isn't this the right place?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#20]
but right now there isnt hardly anything to show.

... so why start with Special FX? Code the game and then, when you know the style and the available cycles you can hire somebody with a complete spec that you know will fit the game.

Trader3564(Posted 2009) [#21]
i have some graphics now..

(p.s. still looking for an effects programmer)