New BLIde version 0.9.65 available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New BLIde version 0.9.65 available

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi!
There's a new BLIde version available for all BLIde Plus users
changelog since version 0.9.63-a:

* Several fixes on the BLIde Solution Explorer

* Several fixes on the BLIde SDK API

* Several important stability fixes on Solution Creation wizard, and in Unmanaged Project creation wizard

* BLIde now detects if a file being imported in a solution is already in the solution structure, and gives the user the possibility to import the file in the original location

* Fixed a window-focuss issue on the module loading database window

* Improved internal api window handlers creation and deletion while working with tabbed documents on BLIde, releasing more resources to the OS

* Fixed an issue that was causing BLIde to not import properly BMX files to a Solution, if the file was already imported by unmanaged code

* Fixed an issue that was making BLIde throw sometimes an error message on the code analyzer when BLIde was executed from a quad 2 core intel based computer, with 64 bits windows

* Improved intellisense when working with the common / all tabs of intellisense active

* Some very deep changes have been done to the BLIde SDK system. Now plugins have to be in a compiled way (DLL) and stored inside folders this way:
BLIde For BlitzMax\Plug-ins\pluginname.sdk.dll\pluginname.sdk.dll
This is based on how BlitzMax organizes modules, and give plugins a folder to store data

* Added a PlugIn register to the BLIde SDK, for Plugins to be able to store/read/share data

* Improved information window when a plugin is loaded on BLIde and it has binary incompatibilities

* Fixed a GDI+ 'out of memory' message when BLIde was minimized while a solution or project was being loaded (thanks to muttley)

* Improved core-distribution of the processes being debuged on multi-core CPUs

* Excluded the Sync Modules dialog from BLIde. It is no longer built-in as this service has been discontinued by BRL for current BlitzMax versions.

* Added a Sync Modules application for users of older BlitzMax versions. This is a separate application accesible from the Start menu

* Improved BLIde intelliprompt performance. It's a bit faster now and does not interfere with autocompletion

* Updated the Compatibility plugin to the new BLIde SDK API

* Improved the Ansi C parser intellisense

* Improved the SDK parser intellisense, now it has autocompletion with Ctrl+Space

* Improved GDI+ hadling of resources

* Improved the check for updates algorithm to prevent ISP catching outdated information about BLIde updates

All BLIde Plus users can get the update at http://www.blide.org/plus

To BLIde Free Users: BLIde Free Edition users will get an update at the begining of next year.

Also, any BLIde user using the BCS generator plugin for BLIde, can get an updated version of the Plugin here (source code included): http://www.blide.org/posts/generate_bcs.rar

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#2]
looking great as always! Thanks for the update.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hey, I've updated (a little bit) the SDK documentation, it can be found here: http://www.blide.org/sdk/BLIde_SDK_Manual_and_tutorials.htm (Google chrome doesn't display it properly, don't know why yet).

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks for the update! That's quite a list. Haven't been able to do much with BlitzMax lately but I hope to get back at it soon.

Bremer(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks for the update.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks for the continued support/updates. This is just an incredible tool that no Blitzmax coder should be without.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#7]
thanks for the possitive feedback!

Mahan(Posted 2008) [#8]

Thanks for the continued support/updates. This is just an incredible tool that no Blitzmax coder should be without.

Word

@Ziggy: Your listed minimum specs for BLIde are quite high. Minimum spec according to your site is 1.8GHz CPU and 256Mb ram. I however use BLIde on my eee 900MHz from time to time and it quite usable! My eee has 2Gb of ram though, and usually .NET apps feel good the more ram you got. Just wanted to tell you that you don't need an exceptionally good PC for it to work, if you just got enough ram.

You are making a VERY good product!

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#9]
@Mahan: Really?? Haven't tested on a machine like yours, hence the minimum specs listed. Wow, I'm impressed :D Thanks for the info!!!!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thanks Ziggy !

Still no news about the dual screen focus problem ? (ctrl+... not working on detached windows or detached debug windows simply refuse to work when not launch in the same screen as Blide ?).

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#11]

Quoted for Truth.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#12]
Ziggy...if you read, this please check your email, I have an urgent question that needs to be resolved ASAP. Thanks.

jkrankie(Posted 2008) [#13]
Hi ziggy, i have a bug!

when i go to add files to the solution explorer (embed a rescourse etc.), or just open a file in some way more often than not Blide will crash.

is there anything i/you can do about this?

Cheers
Charlie

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#14]
@MGE: Email replied.

@jkrankie: could you send me the crash related information in order for me to fix it? (email in profile). If it is an unhandled exception, it sohuld be some related information in the BLIde crash window.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#15]
Ziggy - Thanks for the reply, everything is working. Thanks! :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#16]
I am using the free version of Blide and found some things that needed to be fixed, but then I thought, they may be fixed in plus already. So I purchased Plus.

The purchase process let me download an old version of Blide, so now I am stuck waiting for my user name and password.

Ziggy, if you see this, can you process my order? I really want to get my hands on the latest version. :)

Edit: Got my code. Thanks Ziggy.

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#17]
BlIDE is the hands down best IDE for BMAX. after a yea on the free version, I happily went all in.

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#18]
Heh yeah it is easily the best, I am really liking the plus version now that I can load my various ogre scripts into the same ide as bmx files. .material, .layout, .imageset and the OSM scene format are all XML based formats.

We liked BLIDE so much we have set everything up to tie in with the intellisense and auto complete features making BLIDE a real asset to our production pipeline.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#19]
wow, thanks to all for the feedback!

also, That's great news AdrianT. by the way, do you have any ETA for any public beta or release of Flow3D? I'm really looking fordward to playing with it!

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#20]
Actually yes, we plan to release the flow beta sometime today Christmas day. Just need to get some sleep and quickly sort out a few things with the others in the morning 1am here :)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#21]
Wow, release it NOW! hehehe

AdrianT(Posted 2008) [#22]
Heh a few hours later than intended but the Flow Beta is out now :) Cygnus posted on the General Discussion forums.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#23]
I finally decided to buy blide plus as I have definitely recieved more value over the price by a long shot, and previously I was under the impression not much was included in the plus vs free edition.

Man was I wrong...I can't believe how much faster the intellisense is, and how much faster Blide loads all together. The module caching also seems about 5x faster as well. Also, a couple of bugs, while I had gotten used to them, are now gone and my experience seems so much smoother.

Seriously, for anyone using free edition and contemplating on buying Plus, just do it, you won't regret it. At this point I don't think i've ever been more satisfied by spending my money on software.

Cheers ziggy.

Edit:

@Ziggy: Your listed minimum specs for BLIde are quite high. Minimum spec according to your site is 1.8GHz CPU and 256Mb ram. I however use BLIde on my eee 900MHz from time to time and it quite usable! My eee has 2Gb of ram though, and usually .NET apps feel good the more ram you got. Just wanted to tell you that you don't need an exceptionally good PC for it to work, if you just got enough ram.

The free version seems quite sluggish even on minimum specs for intellisense, caching and load times (expected), although with the updates that plus gives (and apparently free will give come january) i'de assume it would run great on much much lower end systems, no problems and at fair speeds on the mentioned slug-features.

I have to mention though, the slowdown on free version was definitely caused by having basically every module by brucey (including wx), pub mods, fmod, enet, and a ton of my own. It wasn't so bad on a fresh blitzmax install at first.

Time

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#24]
@Retimer: Thanks for the feedback!! It's much apreciated.
Regarding the free version update, I'm not sure if it'll be ready on January or maybe later, as I'm making a new project management for BLIde (plus and free) and free version will get the update once the new project management is ready for the plus version, as I want free and plus to be cross compatible; but this new project management for unmanaged projects is getting a bit more complicated that I first thought... More info to come soon, but the main idea is to provide a complete project explorer for unmanaged projects, more or less, the same functionality you get on solutions, but with the obvious limitations of an unmanaged project system, that is, no my namespace emulation, no incbin manager, etc.

If you ever get BLIde a bit 'long' to load becouse you have tones of modules, you can disable any of them on the plus version from the option 'configure modules database' on the Modules menu. This is very important if you have several 3D engines installed, when some of them have a TEntity class (that happened to me when mixing Flow3D and miniB3D). Now I've disabled miniB3D while Im having a great time with then Flow3D Demo.

nrasool(Posted 2008) [#25]
Hi ziggy, Just a question really? Have you thought about creating a portable version of Blide, so it can run on a usb stick?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#26]
@nrasool: It is already portable as long as the host computer is Vista or has the .net framework installed. If you want you partable version, just copy the whole BLIde installation folder to your USB stick and run it from there on any computer with blitzmax installed (or place blitzmax in the same stick)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#27]
Hi!
Just to inform that a new version of the Font Machine Editor is available for BLIde Plus Users. This version fixes several stability fixes and produces optimized fonts that are smaller and load faster.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#28]
Thanks Ziggy! I'm off to download it now.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#29]
Small suggestion: Could you put the link to the fontmachine module on the BLIde Plus download area as well? Now we have to download the editor from the restricted area, and search the website for the module as well. Yes, I'm lazy.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#30]
@Htbba: Thanks for the suggestion. Done. Be sure to have the editor version 1.0.50, if not, download it again, as there was an issue with the server cache.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#31]
I just checked, seems I downloaded the 1.0.20 version. I'll download it again. Thanks for the heads-up.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#32]
Don't know if it's related to Blide but from time to time when I launch for the first time of the day my project in debug mode I get a blue screen of dead saying merely that windows XP is freeing the memory and lockup to not harm my hardware...
It only happen when developing with Bmax so I wonder if anybody already had this problem before ?

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#33]
I haven't had these kind of problems. It always worked fine for me.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#34]
I develop on XP, Blitzmax, Blide Plus for close to a year. No problems at all. But run "msconfig" to see what's happening at boot up.

Muttley(Posted 2009) [#35]
Sounds like a driver or hardware issue to me. The (very) few BSoDs I've ever had on XP were down to flakey drivers. Never had any BSoDs at all on Vista.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#36]
I'm sorry to say that, but this sounds to me like a broken ram or something like this.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#37]
Yeah, driver or ram.

If you have a couple ram sticks in the box, try switching around and using one at a time and see if the problem arises...perhaps you can find out which stick is causing it, if it is in fact a ram issue.

As for drivers, that usually only happens with video drivers, or viruses that have replaced important windows drivers. Do you have the latest windows updates?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#38]
The video drivers are near to up to date, my msconfig is rather empty and if it would be a ram issue then it would happen in others programming language, application/games or with test ram application which is never the case.
But It's rare enough to not preoccupy me too much :)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#39]
Also did you find any solution for the Dual screen Debug pannel problem ?
I discovered that if you don't set your blide window to fullscreen (with the button next to the windows minimize) then every windows work flawlessly.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#40]
The dual window issue is something related to a very speciffic hardward configuration and I can't replicate it on my studio. Anyway, while making some beta-testing to find a way to solve it, I discovered* that if you put BLIde on the main window, and the running app in the non-main window, the issue does not exists on any hardware config (as far as I know). I'll investigate further when I have the chance to upgrade my dev machine, but upgrading a dev machine usually have side effects I would like to avoid...

[EDIT] * To be honest, AlexO Discovered this

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#41]
No problem !
I'll do fine with an un-fullscreen Blide window ;)

Thanks again for this wonderful IDE I wouldn't be able to code in blitzMax without it.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#42]
Just an update for BLIde users:
The new BLIde project management system will be integrated on a public BLIde beta for BLIde Plus users and BLIde Free Edition Users on march 11 2009. The final release is still not scheduled but it should be at the begining of April, if not before.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#43]
@Armitage 1982: i've found what was causing the flickering issue on some dual monitor setups. It is being caused by windows API returning a wrong workingarea size of windows (one pixel smaller) when using some graphic cards and having a extended monitor setup. A tweak that fixes the flickering on BLIde has been introduced to next version.

plash(Posted 2009) [#44]
When is the next free version going to be released?

The link to the BCS generator is dead.
What version is that? I have 0.0.0.0 (the dll) and it does not parse and output for includes.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#45]
It'll be released once the beta period for the new project management system is finished. Following my plans, a public RC for this update will be out on March the 11th, depending on how it goes, the official release will happen at the end of march, begining of April.
I'm following strictly my latest development plan, and everything is going pretty well, so I supose this time, everything will be as planned.

The current version of the BCS file generator does not inspect include files, but the source code of the plugin is included on distribution, so you may be able to add this funcionality easilly. The version I'm currently making of this plugin is based on an updated BLIde SDK, so I can't share it. Well, I can, but it won't run on current free BLIde version, so I don't see the point on sharing it.

anyway, what is this broken link? I can take a look to it and fix it to make it reflect latest version.

By the way, the current BLIde SDK compiler does not support the inclussion of meta data on the generated plugin dll, so it shows always version number 0.0.0 This is something I'll fix as soon as possible, but the whole BLIde SDK is still on heavy development.

plash(Posted 2009) [#46]
In your first post, this link: http://www.blide.org/post/generate_bcs.rar
does not work.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#47]
Ok, the link was worng. the correct one is: http://www.blide.org/posts/generate_bcs.rar

plash(Posted 2009) [#48]
Thank you.

plash(Posted 2009) [#49]
I don't think BLIde closes folders correctly, sometimes on plugins (might be the plugin fault) but sometimes just because I loaded a source code file (can't delete the folder it was in until I close BLIde).

plash(Posted 2009) [#50]
BLIde has Local Shortcuts, which also means it parses the changes as you type. Why is the list not usable in scripts (in the generator it parses the code - yuck!)?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#51]
This information will be available on future versions of the SDK, including definitions from modules etc. It is just not yet available.

EDIT: By the way, the SDK is not based on scripts. The code is really jit-compiled to regular machine code at runtime, so it is as fast as any other portion of BLIde. In fact, a very simple tweak on the SDK compiler would allow users to create regular .net EXE files.

plash(Posted 2009) [#52]
Fantastic.

plash(Posted 2009) [#53]
If the new version(s) of BLIde doesn't already do this: BLIde should not be changing/resetting my find/replace parameters (text, from cursor/entire scope, etc) when I switch tabs.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#54]
I know it shouldn't but this is not an easy fix to do (due to this is how the internal editor control of BLIde works by default). This is one of the things that needs better handling. I'll do my best to arrange this as soon as possible. Not sure it'll be available on the next update.

plash(Posted 2009) [#55]
Fixing/formatting code (adding spaces between parameters, parenthesizing everything, full typenaming everything.. etc), even with having BLIde pretty much do it all when u add a space to the end of a line, is quite time consuming.

Can we have an 'auto format' feature? (essentially the same thing as adding a space to the end of every line)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#56]
You mean a way to reformat a entire document at once? If that's what you mean, just go to Edit / Advanced / Parse and format document

plash(Posted 2009) [#57]
Never saw that before!
Thanks.

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#58]
BLIde request: It would be really handy to have a built-in spell checker that would scan for and check the spelling of "text within quotation marks".

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#59]
@Tachyon: That's a great idea, not sure how to implement it 'easilly' using base languages and user-based dictionaries. Anyway, I'll investigate...

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#60]
Seeing as BLIde allows you to add an icon to your window is there any chance that you could add an option to allow the window to be centered as well? By this I mean non MaxGUI windows. Also does the changing of the icon work for non MaxGUI windows just out of interest? If not can it be included in a future release?

Jason.

plash(Posted 2009) [#61]
BLIde is just inserting the icon into the compiled exe, it does nothing with the code.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#62]
Plash: Also there's a publisher module available that inserts the icon to any created window, to ensure it is properly used by all windows versions on the alt+tab window, and on any dialog window representing the executing application. You can get it from the customer's section of the BLIde Plus website. It should not be too complicated to add there also a centerwindow routine. I'll take a look but I don't promise anything untill I see wich APIs are needed for this.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#63]
OK thanks for taking a look. Hopefully it can be added as I`m sure that it will be a nice feature to have for many.

Jason.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#64]
When will the demo be updated to the current version?

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#65]
The paid version hasn't even been updated in a couple months. It has a lot of improvements that I can't wait to get my hands on. :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#66]
I'm thinking of buying it (again) but the demo is way out of date; 0.9.62 i think it is. I bought it before and ended up requesting a refund as I managed to kill it twice within the first hour - can't remember the details now. I have a fairly hefty project with over 70 source files. I was also put off by the number of spelling mistakes. I know English isn't Ziggy's first language but still...

The other thing I couldn't get my head around - why did I have to let the solution manager handle includes? I don't want to do it way, I wanted to just use 'Include "whatever.bmx"'.

I assumed a lot of this stuff to be limitations of the demo version, but it turned out not to be.

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#67]
Major problems on Vista 64bit with Blide Plus, menu items seem "corrupt", autocomplete and all that jazz fails to work, hovering over hints are duplicated... just spent £20 and it seems a bit iffy. The free version wasnt like this.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#68]
Not sure there Snixx, I've been using it no problem. Are all your .net libraries up to date? Hell, i'm even using blide on LINUX! haha.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#69]
The lag of updates is due to new functionality being beta tested. the new features also include a new unmanaged solution system for people (like Gfk and others) that prefer the IDE not to handle the includes and this kind of stuff for them.
This new project management system has involved quite a bit of rewrite of the BLIde core engine (wich now is not absolutelly based on dependencies as it was).

The 11 of this month a open beta will be available for both BLIde Free Edition and BLIde Plus. We're now at the end of the closed beta-testing process.

You can take a look to the progress in my worklog. This new update will also include several improvements on the SDK side of things, so now you'll be able to create, run test and debug BLIde plugins directly from visual studio, using Visual Basic, or even C#.
I'm just documenting the new features with my terrible wrong English (I'm open to corrections!!)

@Snixx: There must be something wrong in your set-up. Please:
1.-Run the BLIde recovery tool (in the start menu)
2.-Uninstall your BLIde plus version, then delete the program files\blide folder (if it's still there)
3.-Install it again
4.- If the problems still exists, we can take a look to it privatelly to see if there's anything related to your computer. use the purchase email to contact me.

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#70]
The recovery seems to have worked, im not sure why thou as this is the first time ive installed any kinda blide on this system...

the only problem is the recently opened docs menu being blank

GfK(Posted 2009) [#71]
the new features also include a new unmanaged solution system for people (like Gfk and others) that prefer the IDE not to handle the includes and this kind of stuff for them.
Excellent - when will that be released?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#72]
@Snixx: Yes, the recovery deletes this list (to leave BLIde on a default status) but it'll get filled again due regular use.

@Gfk: It will be released as a public beta the 11th of this month, depending on the progress of the beta process, maybe in 4-5 weeks time it'll be released as a stable production version.

This new solution system also allows the creation of C or C++ projects, and I'm also testing a web-development plugin for BLIde plus. It opens the 'door' to many interesting BLIde possibilities, but still on testing phase!

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#73]
the new features also include a new unmanaged solution system for people (like Gfk and others) that prefer the IDE not to handle the includes and this kind of stuff for them.

Perfect - I wasn't a big fan of the solution system because of that.

This new solution system also allows the creation of C or C++ projects

Even better :)

I'm looking forward to this release.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#74]
I am looking forward to this next release, too.

I am also not a fan of the manage solution system. A good unmanaged solution system will be great.