Can anyone upload (or email me) defringe.exe pleas

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Can anyone upload (or email me) defringe.exe pleas

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
...e? (ran out of chars)

Anyway I've been using a neat little exe called defringe for a while that I got from this forum, but it's now on my other PC which is non-functional. If anyone has this and can upload it (for the good of all) or email it to me at jake.birkett AT bigfishgames.com , I'd be really grateful, many thanks in advance!

What would be really neat is to have the source so I could add batching support...

Derron(Posted 2008) [#2]
I cannot link you to the file itself (dunno copyright because there is no readme for it ;D).

After searching for "DeFringe.exe" I found a freeware game containing the file in its "gfx"-directory. The Game "StarTrade" can be found here:

http://www.kollegabi08.de/fetze/NeuST0120Windows.zip

The "DeFringe.exe"-file seems to be the one you are searching. Executing it a dialog pops up asking for the inputfile, outputfile is "filename-cnvt.extension".

Hope that helps ... btw I played that freeware game long time ago and it wasn't the best ;D.

bye MB

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#3]
can't you take the hard drive out the old pc and either stick it in your new one or a caddy?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#4]
What does the defringe app do? Maybe we can write you some quick sourcecode?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
What does the defringe app do?

It defringes images :-)

No idea at all really...

As a complete guess, perhaps it makes alpha edges properly alpha, rather than how some gfx programs save them with hints of the original background colours in the edges....

.. or something else entirely.

(but I wouldn't mind one which works as I mentioned)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks Brucey. I got my home PC working so can get the file from that now.

It works like Brucey says as Photoshop saves images with bg colours in the edges which looks bad when the image is drawn at sub-pixel coords or scaled/rotated.

Derron(Posted 2008) [#7]
Photoshop doesn't save real alpha-ed images with some weird colors at the corresponding pixels.

Because my apps heavily relay on alpha-channels I also checked those pixels when working with the sprites. They have no bits for r,g,b - only for the alpha component.

The only app I know behaving kind of weird when it comes to png-alpha channels was the old Paint Shop Pro 5 (with alpha only working when you explicit loaded the alpha-channel-selection) - this app made it the way you describe it (fringed borderalpha).

----

What a 'Defringe' does is: all pixels next to 100% alpha will get some alpha too. So if you have a normal picture and you select some part with the "magic wand" you will end up having some pixels of the background selected too (although only with alpha of 50% - depending on the anti-alias the magic wand tool uses). The defringe tool then removes those pixels.
May be it also works having contrast of border pixels als companion (link below: blue background vs yellow flower) - but this is a matter of implementation.

http://photoshophelp.blogs.com/photos/defringe/fringe.html

bye MB

Yan(Posted 2008) [#8]
A little late but, 'DeFringe' can be found here...

http://yanbloke.googlepages.com/

I keep meaning to add multi file support, but Windows' multi file requester handling makes me sink into a deep depression every time I think about it. |o[

Photoshop doesn't save real alpha-ed images with some weird colors at the corresponding pixels.
I don't know about other versions, but Photoshop 6 and 7 certainly do (Hence the very existence of the above app). In these versions, all transparent pixels are set to white when exported as a PNG (with the default exporter, at least). It only really becomes a problem when the image is filtered.

The 'DeFringe' program referred to here, works by simply setting the colour of all transparent pixels to the average colour of it's neighbouring opaque pixels.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#9]
Working with PaintShop Pro 8 and transparent .png files, I've never come across this problem. ?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#10]
In photoshop do you still get fringe if you create a transparent background layer beneath your image and then flatten it and save png?

I think we're also talking about 2 types of fringes here.

One type is where you cut an image out from a colored background using some kind of selection tool with a threshhold, but it leaves antialiased edge pixels that aren't `just` background with a blend between the background color and the object color. That's pretty annoying when you cut something from one color background and you want to either use it on another color background or just any color. In that case you have to compare the presence of the background color value within the object's edge pixels and remove it.

The other kind is like said above, where the application keeps alpha values separate from pixel values and combines them on the fly when displaying but maybe not when saving.

plash(Posted 2008) [#11]
@Yan: You could use wxWidgets for multi-file selection (.. I think it has that)

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#12]
In photoshop do you still get fringe if you create a transparent background layer beneath your image and then flatten it and save png?

Yes, you do.

Derron(Posted 2008) [#13]
Just don't flatten out the images.

Photoshop (talking 'bout CS1) "save for web" -> png with alpha -> finished (without fringe). Remember to work on a transparent background and not on an opaque one exporting only the drawn over layer.

Paint Shop Pro: I only wrote about PSP 5 because in later versions (6+) they (company formerly known as JASC) improved alphachannel-handling a bit.

Maybe someone has the time to make a small app to show/emphasize "fringed edges" on sprites because I think my sprites don't have such odd pixels next to the opaque ones and I can't believe that others have that much problems.

bye MB