Difference between 'strict' and 'superstrict' mode

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Difference between 'strict' and 'superstrict' mode

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#1]
So, what are the main differences? In the manual it says about SuperStrict command:
"Set SuperStrict mode"

...and couldn't find info using search, so any pointers would be appreciated.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#2]
SuperStrict forces you to set the datatype of any variable, function or method, while Strict assumes variables, functions and methods return INT if you don't specify anything. SuperStrict forces you to work in a more elegant way. I don't think there are any performance differences at runtime, as oposite to what happens with relaxed mode, wich can run slowlier.

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#3]
thanks!

I'm using superstrict, so it was nice to know what it actually means... ;)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#4]
Also I would add that it is not possible to declare void functions or methods without the use of superstrict. Not sure wich performance improvement it represents to declare a void function or method like a real void function or method, but theorically it should be a bit (absolutelly unoticeable) faster. I'm sure this difference can be ignored completelly.

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#5]
I'd say we can ignore that for now. In a theory level yes, but in practical level doesn't make a difference me thinks :)