BMax is good enought?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BMax is good enought?

orgos(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi I have a ambitional question: is BMax good enougth to make games like starcraft and diablo 2?

Ratboy(Posted 2008) [#2]
If you can get a big enough team together, sure.

orgos(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yes, my questions is about the performance and the capabilities to handle lots of sprites and particle effects y screen, also the realtime send and receive data in tcp/ip enviroment like lan and internet games.

ima747(Posted 2008) [#4]
I think it's more a question of your assets and your skill than the tool set. StarCraft and Diablo 2 are both actually quite light in terms of the processing power needed to make the core engines work, as a result there should be more than enough time for reasonably efficient effects etc. especially if you factor in the capabilities of even a low end PC these days.

In short, assuming you're not throwing away massive amounts of processor time on archaic methods of doing things (doing per pixel particle effects in real time on multiple images for example, vs. pre-rendered effects etc.) then I think bmax should be far more than capable of a classic 2d hack n slash or rts.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
The answer is 100% yes. And keep in mind, the rendering end of things isn't really "BlitzMax" so to speak, it's driver dependent on OpenGL or DirectX.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#6]
Based on my experience and tests I would say yes about the sprites/particle effects but I don't know about the networking side of things as I haven't tested it but I bet it's pretty standard.

Arowx(Posted 2008) [#7]
I would agree with the above, it's good enough!

But maybe your asking the wrong question...

"Would it be easy to build an isometric RTS games with BlitzMax?"

is probably a better question!

Philip7(Posted 2008) [#8]

I like that question, who will answer it?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hopefully there is a lot of third party modules to achieve those kind of games with BlitzMax.

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#10]
First of all: yes, definitely it's POSSIBLE to build game. Jake (Gery Alien) there has built for example Fairway Solitaire which is filled with so many features that cince Fairway Solitaire can be programmed, then almost any 2D game can be programmed :)

And the networking side: it's no big deal. BlitzMax can handle it. It's more about having the knowledge on "how to make it work".

Question: "Would it be easy to build an isometric RTS games with BlitzMax?"

(My) Answer: Well, if you have never programmer anything before then it might be bit difficult. If on the other hand you have experience on doing 2D games, then I don't think isometric RTS game would be hard. Of course it depends what kind of stuff you want, and how many features you want to have there, and what kind of team (if any) you have.

I'd say it's more about the developer than it's about the tools :)

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#11]
is BMax good enougth to make games like starcraft and diablo 2?
Yes. I believe Bmax is good enough.
No, it wouldn't be easy.

If the second question is "is BMax good enougth to make an isometric RTS game?" then I would answer "Yes. I believe Bmax is good enough"
p.s. In fact, I believe Bmax is good enough to make nearly any 2D game genre but some funkier special effects might be tricky.

orgos(Posted 2008) [#12]
Ok thanks for replys.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#13]
Eschalon: Book I was made in 100% BlitzMax and the code is completely cross-platform compilable. Book II will be faster, use fewer resources and have a default higher-resolution.

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#14]
Off-topic: Pelit (Finnish gaming magazine) gave 84% to Eschalon: Book I? They are very strict when they give ratings so thumbs up!

Arowx(Posted 2008) [#15]
Wow that is good, so Tackyon have you considered releaseing your isometric game engine? ;0)

Cipher(Posted 2008) [#16]
I agree with the statements about it being more the developer's skills than the toolset. Diablo and Starcraft are running on old tech by today's standards. But yet, most new games still can't come close to the classic appeal of these games.

The best game engine in the world isn't going to help you make a fantastic game. A game is only as good as it's developer.

verfum(Posted 2008) [#17]
Visually.
Visually you can't make D2 or StarCraft with Bmax, you'd need a 3rd party 3D engine, Diablo II is 3D but the perspective is tuned off, you'd have to fake it with isometric, which would actually be harder, you would be better off using the Irrlicht wrapper and make is non perspective, it would be loads easier. StarCraft, again it's using a nice 3D engine with good shaders, It even uses realtime dynamic landscape QuadTrees.

Technically.
Don't take Diablo II too lightly, I'm trying to make a Diablo style game and it's not for the faint hearted, sure the basics are straight forward but look at the actual gameplay features, the item spawning when you kill different level bosses and in-game dudes, and the Inventory, have you actually ever seen an Inventory made anywhere like it, with multi-size slots and the source, exactly, it's because it's not easy!!

So it is possible just depends on the angle of attack.
I think if your an experienced programmer it's possible.

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#18]
Why you'd need 3d engine for Diablo 2? :)

And... anycase: there's 3D options for bmax... so no problem. It's more about the developer than about bmax capabilities. Me thinks.

And I think nobody was saying that Diablo style game would be easy to create ;)

verfum(Posted 2008) [#19]
Well you don't I guess, but Diablo II is nice in the sense you can adjust the resolution and because it's all billbards it just scales easily. With 2D your stuck, plus again, like I've said, just use a wrapper :)

I think I posted some similar questions like this a while ago?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#20]
... can't that be done with Bmax? I thought a few people had released code that did this but I could be wrong.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#21]
After reading this thread again, I still say it could all be done with BMax. Remember, BMax out of the box is just as capable as any generic programming language. There's nothing in BMax that makes it harder or easier to write a game than any other language. And like GameProd said, this is more about developer capability than BMax capability.

verfum(Posted 2008) [#22]
tonyg
Dammit, I keep forgetting that Bmax is basically 3D but applied to quads, sorry I do appologise :S Yes you could setup your project to use SetScale().

MGE
I do agree that out of the box Bmax will make most small-medium games if coded carefully, but for large games I'd say I'm not sure about it? Firstly, if your not a really experienced programmer you'd have to rely on wrappers written by people on here, so the support is by one person, whereas with C you have the original forum to run for help, i.e. better supported libs, for example RakNet, Irrlicht and the physics engines. I'd also say the OO side of Bmax may proove problematic when a project becomes massive, I dont know from first hand experience, just from what I've read about complex OO projects. For example, you can't overload, you can't have multiple Constructors, this was one of the features that turned me to C++, not completely, I still like Bmax. You can't use Multiplie Inherritence, yes I know this sometimes means the design is bad, but it can be quite usefull here and there.

Other than that Bmax is a perfectly capable language and engine.