BMax Vista compiling problem

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BMax Vista compiling problem

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#1]
I`ve just started to use Vista and now I cannot compile anything. I`m using the standard 1.30 installer. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks for any help,

Jason.

big10p(Posted 2008) [#2]
What do you mean by 'can't compile anything'? What happens? What errors do you get?

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#3]
Sorted, turned user acount control off. Is this a known remedy? It it safe to turn this setting off?

Jason.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
It it safe to turn this setting off?
Well, no previous version of Windows had UAC, and we're all still here.

If you have a brain, its safe to turn it off.

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#5]
I`m also experiencing problems building MaxGui stuff. I haven`t had a chance to look into it yet but are there any known issues that I should be aware of with that? What are the most common Vista problems that I should be aware of?

Thanks again for the help.

Jason.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#6]
Installing MinGW is a pain in the arse - even more so than in other versions of Windows.

Guide to installing MinGW in Vista

Hotcakes(Posted 2008) [#7]
If you want to write apps/games for the general populace, UAC should be on during testing at least.

It's quite easy to bypass UAC problems if you install all your Max related programs (Max, MinGW, code you are working on) to any non-UAC partition (any partition that isn't the boot partition, the Windows Vista partition and/or the page file/hibernation file partitions). I tried having a mixed environment with Max and MinGW installed to C: and working on code on the S: drive which still caused me major headaches. Moved every installation to the S: drive and havn't had a problem since.

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#8]
@Hotcakes: Thanks for the tip, I`ll give that a try.

@GfK, thanks for the link.

Jason.

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#9]
OK the problem that I am getting with MaxGUI programs when I try to compile is that I get the following error,

Compile Error
Can`t find interface for module `maxgui.win32maxgui`

All that I have done is install version 1.30 (not SVN version) and then copied the MaxGUI folder (after extracting it) into my mods directory.

I cannot see what the problem is, works fine on XP.

Any ideas?

Jason.

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#10]
First, make sure your blitzmax folder looks something like here:

(maxgui.mod in the mod folder)

Secondly, have you run your blitzmax using administrator rights (and/or turned off the user account control)?

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#11]
File structure is correct and UAC is off. I`m out of ideas now. After a quick forum search I cannot see anything similar either.

Jason.

*(Posted 2008) [#12]
I have Vista here too and it works fine, maybe reinstalling it would sort it