BlitxMax IDE Features ...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitxMax IDE Features ...

mic_pringle(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

I'm in the early stages of developing a new IDE, initially targeted at BlitzMax, but may consider opening up to other gaming frameworks such as Love2d in the future.

So I was wondering if you'd all mind sharing with me what features you expect a good IDE to have ?

I'll use this thread to try to get together a definitive list.

Suggestions compiled from the threads below

1 - Find and replace from within a selection
2 - Collapse and expand sections of code. Automatic detection for types, functions etc
3 - Code completion & keyword highlighting (already implemented)
4 - Show/Hide comment blocks
5 - Variable highlighting (All instances from a single click)
6 - Cross Platform
7 - Multi Windowed Layout

(last updated 14-11-08 08:57am)

Thanks

-Mic

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#2]
Find and replace within a selection

Philip7(Posted 2008) [#3]
- Being able to collapse and expand sections of the program. The sections must be automaticly divided by functions, types, etc.

- Code completion (suggestion in tooltip while typing)

- Easy 1-button show/hide commentblocks

plash(Posted 2008) [#4]
Linux version that doesn't suck.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#5]
Intellisense!! Using an OOP language without it, is a crime!

Highlight variables when clicking on them, similar to notepad++ when you click on a word, it highlights are instances of that word... very useful of tracking variables..

BTW Good Luck!

MGE(Posted 2008) [#6]
"So I was wondering if you'd all mind sharing with me what features you expect a good IDE to have ?"

Everything BlidePlus for Blitzmax already has. Seriously, not trying to shoot you down, nor do I have anything to do with the company, but BlidePlus is so easy....even "I" could use it. It already has all of the features mentioned here and alot more.

If you are going to take on this project, spend a few bucks and fully research BlidePlus. If you can build a more robust, better, fully integrated IDE for Blitzmax, I'll be your first customer.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#7]
Blide is really good... but I still wish for BlitzMax Plug in for Eclipse (or NetBeans)...

There is always room for another IDE in the Blitz World.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#8]
I think you need split-screen/multi-window interface so you can view one part of the program (or more) while working on another. It's annoying having to constantly scroll back and forth.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#9]
ll I'm really looking for is something pretty much identical to the Official BlitzMax IDE, with the addition of code/function folding.

mic_pringle(Posted 2008) [#10]
"Everything BlidePlus for Blitzmax already has. Seriously, not trying to shoot you down, nor do I have anything to do with the company, but BlidePlus is so easy....even "I" could use it. It already has all of the features mentioned here and alot more.

If you are going to take on this project, spend a few bucks and fully research BlidePlus. If you can build a more robust, better, fully integrated IDE for Blitzmax, I'll be your first customer."

The issue with this is that it's Windows only, and I'm primarily a Mac user and casual Linux user, therefore my only real option is the standard BlitzMax IDE or the enhanced community version.

The main reason I'm approaching this is because BlitzMax is cross-platform yet most of the 3rd party tools available are primarily for Windows users.

Thanks

-Mic

plash(Posted 2008) [#11]
The main reason I'm approaching this is because BlitzMax is cross-platform yet most of the 3rd party tools available are primarily for Windows users.
Also why I very much love the idea of a CROSSPLATFORM ide that isn't crap on Linux (I still hate FLTK). You may want to consider using wxMax, if you are actually going to develop it in BlitzMax. wxMax has Scintilla support too as well as awesometastic wxFormBuilder Project > BlitzMax (wxCodeGen) - makes developing loooads faster.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#12]
If I were to start BLIde again, I would writte it on max using WX widgets, now that max also has multithreading. So I would suggest you to take a look to it.
Looking fordward to seeing this on action!

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#13]
ziggy, have you ever tried to see how difficult it'd be to get Blide running on Mono (.NET on linux/mac)? If that was possible, it'd truly be amazing to finally have such an incredible IDE on all platforms.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#14]
@Alexo: Yes, I use mono for some projects. As instance, the fontmachine editor can be used on mac and linux with mono, but there are some visualization issues as the GDI+ implementation of mono is still very inmature. BLIde uses some direct API calls, specially the text renderer that is based on direct api GDI instead of managed GDI+ for speed reasons. I supose this could be addressed mixing wine and mono, but all in all seems a bit too esotheric to me. I keep an eye open to the mono framework progress, latest version has a lot of fixes and speed improvements.