Simple feature request....

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Simple feature request....

Russell(Posted 2008) [#1]
I wish I could use labels while in Strict or SuperStrict mode. Not to jump to during runtime, but to jump to during coding/debugging. It would not interfere with Strict/SuperStrict's functioning because you would still not be allowed to CALL a label during runtime.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement and it should still keep the die-hard programmers happy.

Thanks,
Russell

MGE(Posted 2008) [#2]
Interesting request. Currently you get a list of functions in the code tree, where you can click and jump to that section. A list of labels in a similar tree sounds interesting, but it also might mean your code sections are too long and might need trimming into smaller sections / functions.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#3]
Wouldn't additional labels not slow down the compiler / runtime exectuion?

For me:
I put a "'!!!!!!" reminder comment in the code passage that needs to be recoded. So I can search for vital code inside the ide later.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#4]
I use swearwords as labels,

EOF(Posted 2008) [#5]
My mehod is via comments which I search for
Here, I can jump to the main loop by pressing Ctrl+F , entering 'ml then hitting RETURN ..
'ml Main Loop
Other than that it would be nice to have bookmarks so you can jump immediately to the area you wish

Volker(Posted 2008) [#6]
BLide supports bookmarks. Nice feature.

Russell(Posted 2008) [#7]
I used to use this all the time in previous versions of Blitz (I think even the old Amiga versions had it) and PureBasic allows you to jump to embedded labels (by making a comment like ;- You can even collapse it like a folding function!).

Bookmarks are handy when you have lots of lines of code in a function (or in the main code) where jumping to the start of the function would not be an adequate solution.

Oh, while I'm talking about this area, didn't the BMax IDE used to show the arguments required in User-created functions when you clicked on them in the nav pane on the right (or maybe you had to hit F1. I don't remember). Maybe this was in the community edition of BMax?

Just a thought...
Russell

p.s. Jim, I use your Framework Assistant all the time! Good job! Haven't checked, but does it know that the MaxGUI stuff has to be explicitly imported now?