Eee pc 701

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Eee pc 701

smilertoo(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello,

Has anyone tested bmax on one of these low end eee 701 computers?
Either default linux or with xp.

I'm wondering if they have enough power for '2d' games.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
I had somebody test Buzzword on an Eee PC but I can't remember the spec. Apparently it ran great (XP, obviously).

EOF(Posted 2008) [#3]
> I'm wondering if they have enough power for '2d' games

Apparently they do to a certain degree.
I have seen youtube videos of GTA Vice City running on a 701!

Blitzmax works absolutely fine on my eeePC 901 with WinXP (nLited). Both OGL and DX7

Actually I play Duke Nuked 3D at full speed too

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#4]
My 701 (Linux) seems powerful enough to run some 3D games, so I don't see why it wouldn't do 2D fine. They don't generally lack power, they are just a bit last gen (or last 2 gens) hardware. Not that great at multitasking (ie. MP3 player will stall briefly when loading/using another app).

Also, many of them are quite low res (mine is 800x480). Breakdown of specs here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
Actually "2d via 3d" can task the gpu more than regular 3d games especially when it comes to fill rate limitations.

Someone needs to download this app and run it on those machines:

http://www.greyaliengames.com/misc/spritetest.zip

EOF(Posted 2008) [#6]
For the sprite test:

I get a maximum 26FPS under DX7 (window or full screen) in super-performance mode on my eeePC901 + WinXP

MGE(Posted 2008) [#7]
yikes... that's not good performance at all. Not even as good as my crappy outdated dev kit which has an intel 82845G in it. I was hoping the GPU in those things would be one of the newer mobile intel gpu's which have very good performance.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#8]
I'm going to order an Acer One 150 end of next week with a 160GB HD and 1GB mem and a atom 1,6 Ghz CPU. You can compare the Atom 1,6Ghz cpu a bit with a PIII 1Ghz according to charts and it has ofcourse a intel graphics chipset with shared memmory. I prefer the Acers Netbooks more then the Asus eee PC's.

Smaller/Older games will run ok. I'll use mine for blitzmax mostly for creating small games, this way I can test if games will run on lower end systems as well when I write them. I'm not sure If I am going to order the one with Linplus / Windows XP... Will probably wil do a clean XP install anyway from USB-stick / external CD-rom.

Mahan(Posted 2008) [#9]
I'm using a eee900 (which is similar to the eee701 except 900MHz and a 1024x600 screen) and i have both MiniB3D and the Blitz3D-SDK running on it.

Ofcourse the performance is limited but the minib3d-demo CollisionTest runs at a steady 60fps as long as I don't enable threading.

(platform: XP)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#10]
Mahan - Can you run this:
http://www.greyaliengames.com/misc/spritetest.zip

And report frame rate in DX7 mode? Thanks.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#11]
I play 2D games on me Eee all of the time, even bought a mini joypad to use with it.