need interpolation algorithm... not cosine

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/need interpolation algorithm... not cosine

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#1]
anybody have any ideas for a quick interpolation algorithm that would look something like this... as opposed to the second cosine graph?

0                                                              0
 0                                                            0
  0                                                          0
   0                                                        0
    00                                                    00
      000                                              000
         0000                                      0000

0000                                                             0000
    000                                                       000
       00                                                   00
         00                                               00
           0                                             0
            0                                           0
             0                                         0
              0                                       0
               00                                   00
                 00                               00
                   00                           00
                     000                     000
                        000               000
                           0000       0000

thanks!

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
You mean along the lines of y=x^2 ? (parabolic curve)

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#3]
not really(in my attempts anyway) a parabolic is too close to the cosine for the bottom. I tried limiting the y but then the bottom "corners" were too harsh. it's close.. and that is what I may end up using. the key is something that ramps down then stay steady and then ramps up all through a time or distance variable but I'd like a softer transition from the "sides" to the "bottom".

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#4]
I would start with a higher power of x, and then fiddle with that to get what you want.

Something like (x^6)/1000 looks close - change the 6 to a higher number if you want a wider gap, and increase the 1000 to a higher number if you want a less steep curve.

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#5]
Here is what you might want. I did this by drawing 1/2 of an oval with a diameter equal to the distance between the points, then rotated and transformed the oval to match the position and angle of the points.

ArcDirection is the direction you want the path to curve. 1 is down and -1 is up.
Angle is the angle between where the path starts and ends.
MaxY is how far out the path will move

This probably isn't the most efficient way to do this, but it might be a place to start.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#6]
TomToad - that does look like a rather unwieldy way of doing things. But an ellipse is a type of conic section, so it's on the same sort of track as a parabola.

edit: oop, totally forgot what I came back to this thread for - you can use this equation grapher to play around with equations and see what they look like.

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#7]
TomToad - yeah that does give the shape I want but it's just too much calculation....

Warpy... off the bat what you said does look good but I can't seem to find the right calculation for the full curve(both sides)

a parabolic calc using I using for reference would look like this on the grapher link you posted

a*(x^2)+b*x
filling in the numbers...
x range(0 to 60)
y range(-50 to 50
a = -.045
b = 2.699
for
-.045*(x^2)+x*2.699

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#8]
How about something like this? It starts with a circle 1/3 of the way through the curve, then switches to a line 1/3 of the way, then switches to a circle the last 1/3. Shouldn't be too difficult to modify for different curves and distances.

Edit: Just saw what you posted after posting this. The calcualtions in my previous example can be greatly reduced if you are only going to be following a path allong verticle or horizontal endpoints.

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#9]
yep... that's exactly the shape I was looking for but it changes x... x is a linear component.. this works for drawing the shape but what I'm doing though is basically making a 2d heightmap... sorry I should have been more clear and my top graph should actually look like this, whoops!

0                                                          0
   0                                                        0
    00                                                    00
      000                                              000
         0000                                      0000

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#10]
Ok, that reminds me of this post a bit http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=80236#901908
So I came up with this. x increases in a linear fasion, and y is calculated based on x. It also elliminates the need for sin() and cos(), however, I had to add a Sqr(), but only for the ends.

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#11]
ok that works! yeah I'm not crazy about the sqr but it's called only on deformation of the map so it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

thanks!