Little win32 graphics gui test

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Little win32 graphics gui test

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#1]
Would someone be kind enough to give this a test for me please?
My Parallels is refusing to play nice with OpenGL... so I can't actually *see* anything when the window opens.

What you should see, is a window with the title "Hello World".

guitest.rar (1.1 meg).

If that works, then I can see about getting it running with DirectX too...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Works here; Intel GMA965 X3100.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
Excellent. Thanks Gfk !

... I feel another module warming up ;-)

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#4]
works good here nvidia geforece 8600GT

... I feel another module warming up ;-)

If you do, I'll probably throw my poor excuse for a GUI to the trash bin and use this one.

REDi(Posted 2008) [#5]
Works!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#6]
You should make a "Things you should be able to do with Blitzmax but can't" module.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#7]
Looking goog Brucey!

Volker(Posted 2008) [#8]
Works fine here. Nvidia 8600 GTS.
But the window title is "Hell of World".
Satanism? Better check your code.

GW(Posted 2008) [#9]
Works Here : GeForce Go 7700
The test is rendered with 'flip(false)'? Moving the window around produces jags.

interesting feature: Grab the lower-right corner and drag right side across the left, then drag it back right. ;)

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2008) [#10]
Works fine here.
Gforce FX 5700.

I think it's about time Blittz got renamed to BruceyMax.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#11]
Works just fine for me.
Geforce 8600 GTS.

Looks good too. Very good.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#12]
Very nice Brucey! Seemed a bit buggy when I tried to resize the bottom right corner of the window past the left hand side, but I assume that's the fault of the libary you are using...

Off-topic: have you seen my reply in your MaxIDE splitter flip thread?

plash(Posted 2008) [#13]
Works here, ATI Radeon HD 2600.

Tommo(Posted 2008) [#14]
So it's cegui this time.
You're a saint...

Works here, Nv 6800.

Filax(Posted 2008) [#15]
Work fine, nvidia 8600 M GS + XP SP2 !

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#16]
Works OK here, ATI X1650XT

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#17]
Nice to see it *just works* :-)

This module is actually one of the many mothballed projects that I gave up on a while back as I struggled to get it working on the three platforms. However, with time comes knowledge, and this time round it all came together in an evening.

The next "problem" is how to implement the API. I personally prefer the OOP style, but there are many who are still living in the realms of "flat" function-based interface-land. I suppose at a push I could implement both.

The nice thing with an OOP API is that it maps the original library fairly closely.

Oh, and one other thing, there appear to be DirectX renderers only for 8, 9 and 10. So it'll have to live on OpenGL for the time-being.

What's your particular preference with regards API style? (flat or OOP)

Kistjes(Posted 2008) [#18]
I'd prefer OOP style

btw: test works here on NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#19]
Works here: Radeon 2600XT, XP SP2

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#20]
OOP style is fine

MGE(Posted 2008) [#21]
Intel 82845G - Works fine.

Except if you resize the window past the upper left corner you can't bring it back the other direction. ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#22]
Yeah I noticed that too, + if it goes too small the X covers the caption, but maybe that's OK. Oh and the X doesn't work, and if you click the background the window doesn't defocus, but I guess that's all WIP.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#23]
I guess that's all WIP.

Aye :-)

I just needed to be sure it was generally working before I invested any serious time towards it.

The window probably wants a min size set, to stop wayward dragging ;-)

CS_TBL(Posted 2008) [#24]
It's a worky here on win98se/geforce4mx.

peltazoid(Posted 2008) [#25]
works here on a GeForce 6200 on XP SP3

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#26]
It works here, Win XP, NV 9600GT - And I prefer OOP

What IS it exactly?? Something like FryGUI? It's not actually from the win32 library right?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#27]
What IS it exactly??

It's called CEGUI. Much like FryGUI except it's coded in C++. Skinnable, configurable, scriptable. (although I'm not sure whether we need Lua scripting for it? - if it's not a lot of work, I can include it)

There's also an editor for it, which can help reduce gui-building time.

plash(Posted 2008) [#28]
There's also an editor for it, which can help reduce gui-building time.
*Looks around*

Tired of waiting? :P

I keep getting stuck with the designer, keep following other intriguing ideas..
FryGUI needs quite a few fixes for it to work like it should, I just can't decide if I should stick with the Fry.<mname> interface or make a new one, for applications that might use FryGUI - or if there is really any point to continuing the designer at all, no one seems to use FryGUI..

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#29]
Tired of waiting?

:-)

FryGUI needs quite a few fixes for it to work like it should

I did post some scrollwheel patches at one time - I much prefer using that for moving up and down lists, than having to click on scrollbars.

And hidden inside FryGUI are some nice "table" gadgets... but they need a bit of work in order to be more useful.

plash(Posted 2008) [#30]
I did post some scrollwheel patches at one time - I much prefer using that for moving up and down lists, than having to click on scrollbars.
I noticed those.

And hidden inside FryGUI are some nice "table" gadgets... but they need a bit of work in order to be more useful.
I was referring more to: getting things working with the zipped format (mostly.) FryGUI needs a good amount of work on the fonts, I even considered moving it over to wiering.bmfont (more customized fonts and alot more functionality, like newline formatting and character callbacks.)

CEGUI is much more matured and seems to have everything I was hoping to add to FryGUI (and then some!) - I urge you on, Brucey.