Multi-Touch support for Blitzmax!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Multi-Touch support for Blitzmax!

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

Not sure if there is anyone out there interested in this, but I'm currently developing a Multi-touch library for Blitzmax (BlitzMT).

I am also building a Multi-touch Surface that I intend to use to start developing Multi-touch games and other applications.

My progress is being documented on my project page at http://multitouch.wikia.com/wiki/User:Scaremonger.

[a http://multitouch.wikia.com/wiki/User:Scaremonger] project page [/a]

Kistjes(Posted 2008) [#2]
Why building a surface yourself?
Have you looked at one of these?
MS-Surface
Stantum
The Cell

I'm interested in your progress!
Look at my post about writing a multi-touch module.
Thanks to brucey I'm developing multi-touch applications with BlitzMax now.

I'll have a look at your wiki

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yeah, I saw your post earlier and I'm interested in your progress too.

Until the cost of Multi-touch comes down in price, I doubt it will be anything but corporate and hobbiests that use the technology. When Microsoft actually releases it's SDK or a surface of a reasonable cost, I will upgrade my libraries. For now, I've gone the DIY approach...

The Surface I am building is only A4 in size and all it's cost me is £25(UK). I will be adding back projection later once I've got the touch software working, and I intend to later produce an A2 (or perhaps A1) version of it. Currently it is simply proof of concept.

Can't wait to produce my first game... :)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
The Stantum API was quite easy to wrap.

Kistjes(Posted 2008) [#5]
@brucey: yeah, for you it was ;)

Sound interesting and promising.

Just a thought:
The most interesting thing about multi-touch technology is the fact that it allows multi-user applications, as well. Therefor... think big (literal)!
All the examples on the internet show huge video walls or tables.
Think of the possibilities of real(!) multi-user games. Not only multiple fingers per user but independent interaction by multiple users.

Good luck and keep us informed by your progress!

Bremer(Posted 2008) [#6]
@Kistjes, how much did you have to pay for that Stantum development kit?

Kistjes(Posted 2008) [#7]
5000 euro for the device+SDK

btw. The 15.4" TFT screen sucks. The backlight is very weak and, as a consequence, at daylight there is not much to see.
The multi-touch surface is good. It's possible to detect 24(!) touch points at the same time. It's fast and accurate.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#8]
what about one of those wii remote-driven touch things

Bremer(Posted 2008) [#9]
wow, thats expensive, not something every indy guy would be picking up I would think.

Kistjes(Posted 2008) [#10]
@Yahfree: you refer to Johnny Lee's projects I suppose.
I tried to recreate the multi-touch whiteboard thing but is does not work very reliable. And you "only" have four distinctive cursors with this method.

@zawran: The Cell costs 16.000,- euro!

I hope Scaremonger is able to make a reliable demonstrator at A1 or A0 size at much lower costs.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#11]
I was thinking about taking a junker PC - A wii remote, a IR pen, and a projector then trying johnny's method. How unreliable is it exactly? It'd just be a fun little project.

Have you seen those smart boards? My school has a few and their quite good, though I don't know if their multi-touch.

http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Products/SMART+Boards/default.htm