how to make a diablo 1 like engine irrlicht

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/how to make a diablo 1 like engine irrlicht

K@li(Posted 2008) [#1]
I want to make a 3d iso engine with lighting, like a diablo I engine.

I think irrlicht bmax was a good idea.

but, i dont think ho to make a big terrain with unique case style 32*332 pixels (same a 2 rpg engine, but in iso view...)

H&K(Posted 2008) [#2]
The problem I think in using "like a diablo engine", is the duel way they made the terrain and units.

For most computers at the time athough the things "look" 3d, and were stored as 3d models, they were infact displayed as 2d sprites, that they screen grabed the sprites from a blue screen mockup of the unit at initialization of level. (ok yes this is a simplification).

So when you ask for a diablo like engine, ppl who know how blizzard did diablo may start to talk simply about 2d sprite engines.

Do you mean an engine like Baulders gate (pure 2d iso) or like Warcraft 3 (pure 3d iso veiw). (or maybe a better example starcraft 1 2d iso, or starcraft 2 3d iso view)

K@li(Posted 2008) [#3]
NO

i want to generate a matriced terrain with the help of irlicht

(irrlicht is very powerfull 3d engine, il used it before a year)

but i d'ont have find the method for drawing individual tile in a little square

i dont want use 2d function, because lighting and special effects are hard to dev...

K@li(Posted 2008) [#4]
i don"t find the way for use light effects with irrlicht 2d drawing...

deps(Posted 2008) [#5]
Irrlicht 2d drawing is just like bmax 2d, so you would not gain anything there I think.
Use the 3d engine in irrlicht, but switch to an orthogonal camera mode instead. It will look 2D (no perspective) and you can use the light effects.

K@li(Posted 2008) [#6]
the 2D fuction in irrlicht are min 500% faster than the 2d engine in blitzmax

it's a real gain !

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#7]
the 2D fuction in irrlicht are min 500% faster than the 2d engine in blitzmax

Wow! That's impressive. I didn't even think coding in native C++ with DirectX 9 API was that much faster.
What 2D functions are being used? It'd be interesting to see some comparison code to get results on a few different machine types.

K@li(Posted 2009) [#8]
' affiche le jeu de tiles de l'editeur
i=0
For y=0 To 5
For x=0 To 15
driver.draw2DImageSegment(images1, _POSITION2DI(debjeux+x*tilesize, debjeuy+y*tilesize), _RECTI(x*tilesize,y*tilesize,(x*tilesize)+32,(y*tilesize)+32))
i=i+1
Next
Next
driver.draw2DRectangle(_SCOLOR(100,255,55,255), _RECTI(debjeux+memox,debjeuy+ memoy, debjeux+memox+tilesize, debjeuy+memoy+tilesize))

et je peu vous dire que ca torche !!

beanage(Posted 2009) [#9]
how to use the example above? my brain says
Compile error: unknown identifier "et je peu vous dire que ca torche !!"

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#10]
The original Diablo 1 & 2 developers are using Ogre for their next game.

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49496

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#11]
I always thought NOX was a better engine... but, sadly, the game / story itself wasn't as engaging as Diablo 1

K@li(Posted 2009) [#12]
have you the nox engine ??

lol!

Flow3D are really a great engine

i go to buy it.....

THANKS !!!

K@li(Posted 2009) [#13]
AdrianT (Posted 3 months ago) #10
The original Diablo 1 & 2 developers are using Ogre for their next game.

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49496

good

but it's not the developpers of diablo i & 2 !

i'ts a indie developper !

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#14]
Yeah it says made up of developers from the original diablo 1 & 2 teams.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#15]
3D Isometric is kinda going away now though since 3d engines can easily display a full 3d scene from a height/angle perspective with a lot less overall work. Not to mention the camera movement/zoom benefits.

Cheers

K@li(Posted 2009) [#16]
yes scully

but my problem is on d'ont know how to make a various terrain souch as warcraft III with multiple case (ex : grass, water, ...)

id 2D tile this is very easy, but limited in special effects...

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#17]
I'd look into the Leadworks engine (and I'm sure others that ... others will recommend) if I were you. His engine looks good and its all scripted so the hard stuff is already done.

I'm looking at that for my next project I think... I want GalAxis to live again! lol

K@li(Posted 2009) [#18]
good luck with LeadwErks, this engien was for me higly bugged and hard to code

frefer flow3d, hig level engine based on ogre.....
and mutch easer comprehensive as irrlicht...

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#19]
the title of this post is misleading...i thot it was that you already made one and you wanted to share...

anyways...there's a book out there on how to make isometric games. You can prolly pick it up on amazon for a few $$...but i can tell you it's not anywhere as simple as you think it is. ask Tachyon..

edit: dang...sounds like you want it to be cool but not put much work into it...hire an artist and do some research.

Scienthsine(Posted 2009) [#20]
Chroma> I actually read most of K@li's posts as pretty opinionated, but after reading them all, I'm pretty sure english is not his first language. His title is probley a result of this.

I also generally assume most threads in the programming/beginners area are questions.