Vista and OpenGL

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Vista and OpenGL

Tricky(Posted 2008) [#1]
The latest project of mine, is coded that way that the Windows version can be run in both OpenGL and DirectX and that is just depends on the player which driver is used. A test run in Windows XP pointed out that GL is much faster and a few more benefits, so I could in the documentation really advice GL if the PC supports it. However, Vista does not appear to support GL (or at least not the version I could use to test this out). Of course the project does support DX, so the players can live without it, but still for the completeness of my docs I'd like a small explanation on how to solve this "problem". I tried to look on the site of OpenGL itself, but it was pretty hard to dig through, and if it's hard for me to dig through it will be even harder for those who don't have the experience I have.

Do you have any ideas on how I can cover this best in my docs?
(In a way that even a total doofus can understand it).

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#2]
OpenGL works well on Vista as long as you're not using an old intel driver for a crap intel graphics card like the one that came with my labtop. Updating drivers usually fix it.

Tricky(Posted 2008) [#3]
I see, so it could be the soft/hardware of the PC I use that could cause that GL is not supported. Since this PC is not mine (it belongs to my boss, and I'm only allowed to use it to test my apps) I fear that this is not in my power to fix, but at least I know what to say in my docs.

Thank you.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
You're better off defaulting to DX and allowing the user to switch over to GL.

Mark said that a lot of the Blitzmax/GL problems were to do with shared GL contexts - whatever those are. The bottom line was that anything you draw in GL comes out as white squares.

The last Intel driver update resolved this certainly for the GMA965 chipset and I think others too. I'm not sure you can rely on driver updates to fix the problem though, since older graphics cards might not have any recent driver updates available.

Tricky(Posted 2008) [#5]
You're better off defaulting to DX and allowing the user to switch over to GL.

That's exactly what I did. The window that asks for the driver also recommends DX "if you are not sure GL is supported".

MGE(Posted 2008) [#6]
If running on Windows, just stick to DX. It's better off in the long run.

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#7]
I've moved to Vista and have had no issues with OpenGL (in either 32bit or 64bit versoins of Vista).

On my system at least, OpenGL actually appears to be significantly faster than DirectX in windowed mode, full-screen they're about the same though.

Tricky(Posted 2008) [#8]
I haven't tried it if Full Screen mode yet, but I did see that GL was very much faster than DX....

Anyway, I know how to document it now, so my problem is solved...