BlitzMax wiki now available at www.blitzmax.org

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax wiki now available at www.blitzmax.org

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
Go crazy:
http://www.blitzmax.org

The hosting will provide plenty of bandwidth. The hosting and domain registration aren't free. If you would like to help offset the costs, a donation would be appreciated.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#2]
So it's that easy eh? Make a site, add a wiki and expect the masses to add content? JK..;) lol..

Ian Thompson(Posted 2008) [#3]
Josh, its a start... I would still like to see a Basic annotated manual on the main site though but this is a good contribution, none-the-less, thank you ;)

Philip7(Posted 2008) [#4]
Apperently i need to post at least a lot of messages before i have the right to demand a manual with my bought version of BlitzMax.

Yeah, i've been reading and reading on the forum and the internet in general for hours and hours at work and at home after i bought BlitzMax. I tried some stuff, i posted a few messages and than it hit me 'This! is absurd, this is like buying a puzzle without the end-example'.

Yes, i can complain about the absense of a normal manual from post nr. 1. I'm a consumer who paid for a product and found the product lacking a basic necesaty. To make things worse, today i found out that people have been complaining about this for 2 years. So yes, i'm pissed off and paying $80 USD entitles me to vent my frustration on the forum of the supplier. Remember, i'm not flaming a person here, i'm voicing my complaints as a customer.

That you don't like to read my complaint doesn't make my post 'abusive'.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
What i don't understand is why BlitzMax themselfs don't start these initiatives. If they want Blitz to grow they should show some initiative, like putting a goddamn BlitzMax manual on there website. And don't give me the 'in the forum you can find.. bal bla..'. There is a nice tab on this page called 'Manuals', thats where a professional company would put all the manuals for there products. Only Blitz3d and BlitzPlus manuals on the site, where is BlitzMax, where's MaxGui? Earn your money people.
You probably need to get a few more than 11 posts under your belt before you start posting abusive and demanding things like this.

Posting here is a privilege, not a right. Control yourself or you're not likely to be staying very long.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#6]
Since you saw fit to edit your post...

Apperently i need to post at least a lot of messages before i have the right to demand a manual with my bought version of BlitzMax.
You have no right to demand anything regardless of how many times you've posted. If you want to start hurling abuse around after only a dozen posts then perhaps you've made a mistake in buying Blitzmax. Or maybe that's just how you are. There was no 'online manual' before you bought it - surely you didn't expect one to magically appear as soon as you parted with some money?

Press F1 for help, and use the forum. It works for everybody else.

Yeah, i've been reading and reading on the forum and the internet in general for hours and hours at work and at home after i bought BlitzMax. I tried some stuff, i posted a few messages and than it hit me 'This! is absurd, this is like buying a puzzle without the end-example'.
So, you can't use it fluently after five minutes. Is that BRL's fault?

Yes, i can complain about the absense of a normal manual from post nr. 1. I'm a consumer who paid for a product and found the product lacking a basic necesaty. To make things worse, today i found out that people have been complaining about this for 2 years... ...Remember, i'm not flaming a person here, i'm voicing my complaints as a customer.
You can complain, but haven't you ever heard of e-mail? By posting nasty messages about BRL here (and that's certainly how you came across in the pre-edit), you're going to A) make yourself look like a complete pillock, resulting in B) nobody will bother helping you in the future, and C) you'll get yourself banned.

So yes, i'm pissed off and paying $80 USD entitles me to vent my frustration on the forum of the supplier.
It entitles you to nothing of the sort. You're being childish and disruptive and if you don't belt up, the moderators are going to make you sit in the naughty corner.

If you have a complaint this is not the place to do it. Do it by e-mail.

That you don't like to read my complaint doesn't make my post 'abusive'.
No it doesn't. Using bad language ('goddamn' and 'pissed' being two immediate examples), plus your general antagonistic attitude are what makes it abusive.

Philip7(Posted 2008) [#7]
Fair enough, English isn't my first language so i may give off the wrong tone with my post. I apoligize if i set a bad vibe within the community.
I've already had some great help from different persons on the forum.

After reading about the new wiki, i spent the afternoon reading on the previous wiki where a lot of people complained about the manual (and the spam on the wiki). I thought my post would contribute to the 'demand' for a better manual. In the Netherlands, when you want something done by a supplier, you have to complain in large numbers.
Maybe i expected to much to easy from Blitz as a product, maybe i didn't do enough research on the product and maybe i expected myself to pick the Blitz language much easier, my bad.

Sorry for venting my frustration in the wrong place.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#8]
I'm as critical as anyone of BRL, but this isn't the right thread.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#9]
thanks for setting up the wiki

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#10]
Leadwerks, every once and a while, could you provide a public backup file of the wiki?

I don't have bad faith on your side, but it would be a good way to keep peoples minds off the worry of it disapearing one day, and all work being lost.

Time

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#11]
Sure.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#12]
A simple zipped phpMyAdmin export (sans user info) would probably suffice.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#13]
Any chance that this http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi#Supported_languages could get installed?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#14]
Okay, I will add this.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#15]
cool, thanks :)

Otus(Posted 2008) [#16]
What license(s) will you use?

MGE(Posted 2008) [#17]
"Posting here is a privilege, not a right. Control yourself or you're not likely to be staying very long. "

hmm...I was giving the right to post here after I bought the product. Correct? ;)

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#18]
hmm...I was giving the right to post here after I bought the product. Correct? ;)

Not really or else they wouldn't be allowed to ban you or set rules for forum behaviour.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#19]
Or, one could say you were given the privilege to post here when you bought the product. ;)

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#20]
i spiced up the intro, any chance you could fix up the logo,

maybe this one as a place holder before blitzmax.org hires an art team...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#21]
No, you were given permission. BRL could shut this forum down right now and you'd have no rights to demand that they put it back.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#22]
Thanks Leadwerks for this!

Ive changed the front-page a bit, hope you dont mind.

Added colours and put each section in a cell of its own... Ive added Tools (IDEs etc)

Also looks like Perturbatio been busy with the command reference...

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#23]
I found a bigger BMX logo. It looks pretty nice.

Also copied the help page from the Leadwerks wiki, so you have all the syntax and tags right there:
http://blitzmax.org/index.php?title=Help:Contents

therevills(Posted 2008) [#24]
Thats better! It needed a logo... maybe stick the work Wiki under the BlitzMax logo

Ian Thompson(Posted 2008) [#25]
A very good start.

Not sure what the educational value of the 'games' section is though, as all the games seem to be commercial and are closed source?

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#26]
a few more requests:

- a site icon if possible to friendly up bookmarks

- edit the warning about posting or at least put it to the bottom so you don't have to scroll the page after editting text to get to the submit button.

in regards to the warning, Josh or whoever, r u really suggesting you are taking contributions but have no formal public method for moderating the content?

I love wiki and would be hurt if blitzmax.org was operated with gay abandon in regards to vandal proofing peoples contributions.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#27]
Not sure what the educational value of the 'games' section is though, as all the games seem to be commercial and are closed source?
Motivational?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#28]
- a site icon if possible to friendly up bookmarks

How do I do that? I don't have an .ico file.

- edit the warning about posting or at least put it to the bottom so you don't have to scroll the page after editting text to get to the submit button.

I don't understand. Are you only previewing your edits?

- in regards to the warning, Josh or whoever, r u really suggesting you are taking contributions but have no formal public method for moderating the content?

Anyone can edit the content. If anyone causes problems I can ban IPs. Wikis work because they can only usually be spammed once. Go ahead and try messing up a main page of wikipedia.org. It will be fixed in a few minutes. You can always roll back changes to an earlier version, so nothing is ever lost.

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#29]
If anyone causes problems I can ban IPs

I'm pretty sure wikipedia have a slightly different political hierachy.

eg You suck.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#30]
I have no idea what you are talking about.

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#31]
No worries, I was under the impression the old BlitzMax wiki was vandalised and people couldn't be bothered maintaining it, if you stay on the ball at blitzmax.org I think the new wiki is a very good thing.

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#32]
Here is a patch for makedocs, try adding the following to blitzmax/src/makedocs/fredborgstyle.bmx:

Global wikiURL$="http://blitzmax.org/index.php?title="

and after the block that begins with
			If t.example

add
			If wikiURL
				Emit "<tr>"
				Emit "<td class=docleft width=1%><a href="+wikiURL+t.id+">Wiki Page</a></td>"
				Emit "<td class=docright>iframe here???</td>"
				Emit "</tr>"
			EndIf				

you then need to rebuild makedocs and run it, i used the following script saved as blitzmax/src/maketools.bat:

bmk makeapp -a -r -o ..\bin\makedocs makedocs\makedocs

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#33]
>How do I do that? I don't have an .ico file.

You need to have a 32x32 .ico file - there's some code in the archive to convert bitmaps to this format.

[edit]
http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2141

If you don't have b3d or a means of converting a image to a icon I can do it, I just need the 32x32 image.
[/edit]

From there you edit the name to "favicon.ico" and place it in the websites main directory.

Done :).

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#34]
I am lazy and drunk, so if you can just post the ICO i will upload ti

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#35]
I can do it, but I need the first image to start with. Do you want me to size down skids bmax logo?

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#36]
Edit you got it :)

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#37]
If you want it to look like a standard wiki nevermind the following(many people prefer it to look standard).

But if you wanted a custom look, i'm good with website stuff, (that includes css) I can edit the wiki css and make it look better.

I've worked with media wiki in the past, it was an unpleasent experience setting up (but only because I had to get it to take an account feed from a database)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#38]
Hm my IP has been blocked, because on the very first day this was posted, I put "CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in responce to the first post. I guess my humour was not spotted..

markcw(Posted 2008) [#39]
OT: does anyone else see that in skidracer's post: "Here is a patch for makedocs...." the 3rd table has a line of code that actually goes out of it's codebox? Must be all those tabs.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#40]
well its not comming up for me via www.blitzmax.org

Otus(Posted 2008) [#41]
Again: What license(s) will you use?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#42]
I don't know what you are talking about. I don't know how to use a license. I don't know what a political hierarchy means. I just uploaded the wiki and let people edit it.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#43]
I don't know what you are talking about. I don't know how to use a license. I don't know what a political hierarchy means. I just uploaded the wiki and let people edit it.

I think the "license" question is one of copyright on material posted: is it public domain / creative commons / some other "public" and "free" license, or by posting, are your contributions being assimilated into Leadwerks plc? (I'm sure it's the former btw!)

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#44]
I always assumed you had to be a non profit to qualify for a .org address, obviously not.

Josh it is common etiquette in many civilized countries that when you ask for donations you are a little more specific about their purpose. I personally think you should turn blitzmax.org ownership to some sort of collective and proudly sponsor the site for a couple of years, given the market similarity to your own financial interests.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#45]
GFDL is the usual license used for wikis so just use that.

Basically, all you need is to do is make a page with a declaration of copyright intent like here, and then link to a page with the full license spiel on it, which you can grab a copy of here. I don't think you personally need to write your name on a license anywhere in this case, you just need to state the website name and what license it uses. A disclaimer page similar to this would also be handy. I doubt you'd need any more than that. Hope that helps.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#46]
Are you joking? A collective? How many of these exist for Blitz?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#47]
Are we the borg?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#48]
I always assumed you had to be a non profit to qualify for a .org address, obviously not.

Historically, the .org hierarchy was for "anything that doesn't fit in the other categories".
There never has been a requirement to be a non-profit. Case in point: www.microsoft.org ;-)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#49]
I tried downloading that code syntax highlighting thing, but all the links are dead:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=114997&package_id=124605&release_id=618638

If you find the package, just email it to me and I will install it.

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#50]
Thanks for the Wiki.

Were any backups of the last Wiki attempt taken? Maybe they can be restored into the new one?

Philip7(Posted 2008) [#51]
Really looking forward to some more content on the wiki.
I hope that keeping this message high in the thread will contribute to the number of visitors.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#52]
Josh, I'm sending the highlighter package to you now.

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#53]
I've started the Wiki guide to wrapping C++, by adding an an example posted by @DStastny

(and posting that I've done it here to promote the wiki)

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#54]
Any chance image uploads could be enabled on the Wiki?

I'm developing some templates for it, and they would look much better with some little standard graphics...

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#55]
I enabled uploads and installed that geshi thing.

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#56]
Great @Leadwerks, many thanks.

I've added a standard Wiki {{stub}} template (With an image), and a {{todo}} template to highlight missing content.

I've also created a standard {{tocright}} to move the Table of Content to the right hand side when required.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#57]
GeSHi is working now.

you can add blitz code (or many others) with the following:

<source lang="blitzmax">
Superstrict
print "BMax code"
</source>

*(Posted 2008) [#58]
Think its a brilliant idea, its a shame that BRL didnt come up with this.

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#59]
Syntax highlighting; fantastic.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#60]
If anyone notices any commands missing from the highlighter, could they please post them here?

Blueapples(Posted 2008) [#61]
Who is providing the hosting?

What happens when that person gets tired of it or an act of God comes along?

What is wrong with http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/BlitzMax ? We've already got something going, contributions should be made there, not on a new wiki.

wikibooks isn't going anywhere, it's backed by a foundation that supports it. I'm not contributing to a privately hosted wiki so it can have ads inserted into pages eventually when the contributions don't make up for hosting costs, or the site just disappears and adds yet another huge batch of dead links in the forum archives.

Sorry, unless it's backed by BRL themselves or a neutral foundation, it's a bad idea.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#62]
I added a little info on DLL compilation. I am not sure if you still have to manually install the dllcrt2.o file in v1.30.

Is there a way to back up the entire site in one step, or is the only way to do this to download all files and export the database to an XLS file?

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#63]
The problem with the site at Wiki books is that clicking "Main Page" doesn't take you to a Blitzmax site, it takes you to the Wikibooks main page. It isn't very easy to navigate without a menu.

If you are worried about it being on a privately hosted site, create one at Wikia.com, otherwise this new one is great.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#64]
Is there a way to back up the entire site in one step

All you really need is a backup of the database (via phpmyadmin would be the easiest way), the wiki and other files can always be reinstalled.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#65]
I made a backup of the database in .sql format. Is it safe to post this file in a "Backup" folder of the server, so that it can be publically downloaded?

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#66]
Yes, unless you have a table with user accounts and passwords stored within them. Or other sensitive information. A .sql file only contains the queries to recreate a database.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#67]
Here is the first database backup:
http://www.blitzmax.org/BlitzMax1.sql

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#68]
The wiki is going to be closed if no one is interested. I already provided a database backup, so the contributions people made won't be lost.