Can I Allow Bass to Run It's Own Update Thread?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Can I Allow Bass to Run It's Own Update Thread?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm using the BASS Audio library for streaming music and 3D sound effects among other things, and I've noticed that I can let it update itself in a thread or I can update in my main loop. In the past, I had problems on some machines ( none of mine, sadly ) when I let IrrKlang do this, but I'm not sure if that's a BlitzMax issue or an IrrKlang issue. Just wondering if it's safe to let Bass run a thread to update the sound, or whether I'll have to do it manually. Obviously there are no GC issues as nothing is destroyed.

kfprimm(Posted 2008) [#2]
Hm, are you running BASS from a DLL? I believe I read thread awhile ago where someone had said that threads created in a DLL were safe. Not sure though.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yes, it's in a DLL. I would have expected it to be ok, since it's running from a DLL, and since there is nothing being collected. Just had a few doubts after the IrrKlang problems where a few people were getting the audio not actually updating. No crashes though.