axe.luascript help

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/axe.luascript help

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#1]
You can only pass strings, numbers, and boolean parameter in the axe.luascriptengine module.

Is there a way to return a class to a lua function through the module?

I believe in lua they are called tables:
{value1="<value>",value2="<value>,etc}

How can I pass something like that to a lua function? I need to get this working in order to pass several attributes of a TItem type I have going.

Thanks

Macguffin(Posted 2008) [#2]
I tried messing around with the lua stuff a couple months ago, but no one on here is very interested in it - it was a pain just finding the thing. So I moved over to looking at BriskVM.

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#3]
I'm interested in Lua :-). Although I used axe.lua. I don't know what axe.luascript is?

The tutorial over at GameDev helped me understand how to use Lua in BlitzMax: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/lua/

You can skip the first pages since it's about implementing it in C++ but the rest is almost the same as with BlitzMax.

Here's a small example:

test.bmx
SuperStrict
Import axe.lua

Local LuaState:Byte Ptr = luaL_newstate()
luaL_openlibs(LuaState)

lua_pushstring(LuaState, "BMXString")
lua_setglobal (LuaState, "luaglobal")

lua_register(LuaState, "BMXName", BMXName)
luaL_dofile(luaState, "test1.lua");
lua_close(LuaState)

End

Function BMXName:Int (LuaState:Byte Ptr)
	' handling of parameters passed from Lua (if required)
	' actual function body
	' passing results back to Lua (if required)
	luaL_dostring(LuaState, "print('Ahum!')")
	Return 0 ' number of values returned to Lua
End Function

test.lua
print("Test!");
print(luaglobal);

-- Simple lua script
-- comments indicated with a '--'
a = 5;
b = 10;
c = a + b;
print ("5+10=" .. c);

BMXName();

Very simple example but it does show how you can call your BlitzMax functions in a Lua script.

As for methods, I'm now sure. Native Lua doesn't support it if I'm correct. I must say I haven't done a lot with Lua yet but the way I figured is that you need to create Functions that can access the required object.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#4]
I ended up just going a less efficient route by retreiving field counts and having lua request each field independently.

There just does not seem to be a way to pass a table of values through lua from blitzmax properly. And i'm not the one to spend more then a day on the same thing as this is just one of the million things I need to get going.

I tried messing around with the lua stuff a couple months ago, but no one on here is very interested in it - it was a pain just finding the thing. So I moved over to looking at BriskVM.

That's too bad, Lua is great. And I know what you mean...there's hardly any topics on it. I spent some time screwing around with Garrys Mod lua to get a better understanding of how most is done before working on it.

The issue is more with understanding the axe.lua(script) modules, as lua itself is pretty straight forward.

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#5]
There just does not seem to be a way to pass a table of values through lua from blitzmax properly

I only looked at Lua briefly and some time ago at that, but isn't it possible for the Blitz function to push a bunch of stuff on to the stack for Lua to pick up?

I would quite like to get more familiar with Lua myself but, as has been said, it's difficult getting definitive info on it -- I don't even know which of the existing modules is the recommended.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#6]
I don't even know which of the existing modules is the recommended.

I recommend Andreas Rozek's modified version of Axe.Lua. It's excellent.

Can't help with passing a table from BlitzMax. I think you can use Lua_PushValue if the table is already on the stack somewhere to push it up to the top. But no idea about anything else.