DirectX 10 in BlitzMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/DirectX 10 in BlitzMax

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
Is this possible? How much work would be involved?

I am just researching options for future development, and looking at language and graphics API combinations. This isn't going to happen in the immediate future. It would be nice if I could make a gradual transition from BMX to CPP, and just use BMX when writing a windowed app or tool.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#2]
Not sure why, but I always thought dx 10+ was only available in the .net languages. I would wage that i'm completely wrong though.

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#3]
You can use the sdk with C++ and C# (headers included) and you can compile programms without the .net Framework.

bye

smilertoo(Posted 2008) [#4]
Its vista only, so a good way of cutting down your potential market to a miniscule one.

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
Nothing is impossible..

Dabhand(Posted 2008) [#6]
I dare to say that it shouldnt be a massive problem... The only one I can see is that currently, theres not really many resources surrounding DX10.

I've used DirectX 9 to make a small lib that roughly shares the same graphical properties of Max2D, and this was due to the fact the internet is literally dripping with DX9 resources.

http://www.syntaxbomb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998

I've poked around with DirectX10 regarding sprites and such, and its a different beast altogether and stopped after getting a sprite on the screen:-

http://www.syntaxbomb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1851

I'll give it a year or two before I move up and have another play! :)

Dabz

MGE(Posted 2008) [#7]
Hi Dabz - I would pay for a stable, reliable Max2D DX9 replacement for Blitzmax. Using the DX9's sprite object, it should be a piece of cake to code. If I had time, I would give it a go myself.

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#8]
Why not aim for Dx11 right away... ;)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#9]
DX11 is not going to be very different from DX10.

I will start the DX10 tutorials soon and see what I think.

ChristianK(Posted 2008) [#10]
You only need the interface and function definitions of Direct3D 10 to use it in BlitzMax. I have converted parts of the official D3D10 headers a few weeks ago. They are not complete and untested yet, but i think it's a good starting point.

DXGI Header

D3D10 Header