Bitmap font code?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Bitmap font code?

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#1]
does anyone know of any bitmap font tools?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#2]
Fontext?
<edit> ... but then you know about that already.
Ziggy has released a Bitmap Font creator on BLIde homepage.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#3]
i couldnt get the code to work on that page

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#4]
What problems did you get and what code were you using?

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#5]
The module by Ziggy (the editor comes with BLide Plus) is a real enlightenment. I don't know about any other though.

iprice(Posted 2008) [#6]
I'm not sure if you are asking for a function that prints a bitmap font, or somethign that helps to create one.

I've gone for the former. This is a simplified version of a function I use (I've removed all aspects for kerning and resizing text and shadows/outlines).

This code allows you to display and adapt the text colour easily by altering the R,G,B values.

Text_width is the width of each text character in pixels - change this value to suit your font.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#7]
tonyg: I couldnt get the words to display correctly
the letters were wrong and looked....weird

thanks iprice, hopefully its compatible with fontext

iprice(Posted 2008) [#8]
I doubt that my code is compatible with anything, but it works with my bitmap fonts, and to me that's all that matters :)

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#9]
tonyg: I couldnt get the words to display correctly
the letters were wrong and looked....weird

Could you post the code and the font as I think many people are using Fontext and would like to know if there is a hidden problem. I have it working nicely here so it might be you're missing out on a really good free bitmap font program

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#10]
Jeremy, I just tried Fontext with tonygs Bmax code and it seems to work fine. You probably just have something set wrong in the Font Editor. You can send me the project file (ini) and I will take a look if you want.

tonyg - there is a slight bug in your code that makes text wrapping not work correctly (at least for the fonts i tried). It seems to wrap but leaves the 'a' from 'automatically' (for example) on the line above. Any ideas?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#11]
I didn't really do anything to the supplied code other than update the DX related code. If OGL works OK then it might be something I did but I can't see what it would be. Let me know which font you used and I'll have a go
<edit> Having said that I tried a random font (Nimrod) and got the problem. I'll have a look.
<edit> It's detecting a space in a word when there isn't one. The fontext bmx code has the following comment :
'blockHeight/2 *seems* to be an ok value for spaces

which suggests a problem was always possible.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#12]
ah I just realized it only messes up if I dont tick the 'pack' tickbox

thanks for the help

popcade(Posted 2008) [#13]
Maybe this?

http://www.wieringsoftware.nl/blitz/

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#14]
I use the "Bitmap Font Generator", google it. It's simple and powerful but only makes plain fonts. However you can specify a blank border round the resulting font and then style it yourself in photoshop. I use it's fonts with my Grey Alien Framework's bitmap font code. I used it for all the fonts in Fairway Solitaire, so it's suitable for professional use.