Compiling Mac-version on PC

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Compiling Mac-version on PC

FantomKite(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi. I have a question about compiling and building my game for Mac. Blitzmax is multiplatform, so i thought that i can build a Mac-version of my game on PC (because i do not have a Mac). Can i? And what should i do in this case? Thx.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#2]
No, sorry. You can only compile the Mac version on a Mac, the Windows version on Windows, and the Linux version on Linux.

FantomKite(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks, jhans0n. But what should i do now? Actually I can use Mac at my publisher's office, but not for long. As i know, there must be X-Code installed? Maybe something else? (I am completely noob in Mac)...

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#4]
you *could* get a mac emulator and purchase OSX to use on it, it won't be perfect, but you should be able to compile.

Winni(Posted 2008) [#5]
BlitzMax is mult-platform, but it's not cross-platform.

If you want to create Universal Binaries, you'd actually need -two- Macs: An older PowerPC model and an Intel Mac, because you need to compile for each architecture respectively.

You only need the Apple developers tools (XCode & Co.) and BlitzMax on the machine, that's it. XCode is on the OS X installation DVD, so you don't have to download it (unless you want or need to use the most recent version).

If you want to use the SVN versions of BlitzMax, look for "SCPlugin" for the Mac; it's for the Mac what TortoiseSVN is for Windows.

As the Klingons say: Qapla'!

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#6]
There are no good mac emulators. PearPC is dreadfully slow, and only supports the PowerPC architecture. None of the virtualization software like VMWare will run the Intel version of OS X. There are people who build "hackintoshes", but running OS X on non-Apple hardware is a violation of the EULA, and your machine will probably break whenever there's an update.

Karja(Posted 2008) [#7]
I'm not saying that it's a good choice, but just so you know: it _is_ possible to compile a PPC binary with PearPC and then build an Intel binary on OS X running VMWare. (If you google around you'll find hints for how to run OS X on VMWare.) Then you can create a universal binary on the VMWare machine.

It's a slow and inefficient process, though, and not legal. And transferring files between the different virtual machines isn't always trivial.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#8]
It'll probably addle your brain less if you just buy a cheap Mac off ebay.

FantomKite(Posted 2008) [#9]
Thanks to all for help))