Official Request: DX9 Support for Max2D

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Official Request: DX9 Support for Max2D

MGE(Posted 2008) [#1]
I think it's time to think about the immediate future of 2D games in Blitzmax and Max2D.

DX9 has a powerful sprite object that would make drawing, batching sprites very easy. Much easier and faster than DX7.

All you do is tell it the rect of the texture you want to blit from (all your sprites can be on one large texture) and you can do rotation, scaling, modulation, all from 1 call.

Thanks.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#2]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=67633

The download link appears to be broken, but I'm sure someone has it and could let you have it.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks Gabriel, but that release was not stable enough to use. Hence , the request for official support. ;)

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#4]
Yes, well you won't get BRL to do something someone has already done. You probably wouldn't have got it even if no one had done it. You might get lucky and find out that they wrote the forthcoming 3D engine with a DX9 driver for Windows, but I doubt it. Last I heard, they were planning on leaving the DX9 driver for the 3D engine to a third party too. If the existing driver isn't good enough, have a go at making it better, or find someone else who wants to.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
I'm finding it hard to believe no one else understands the importance of this for future 2D game development on Vista and beyond using BMax. As it stands right now, DX7 performance is well off what DX9 is capable of.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#6]
I'm finding it hard to believe no one else understands the importance of this for future 2D game development on Vista and beyond using BMax. As it stands right now, DX7 performance is well off what DX9 is capable of.
Isn't that why there is the OpenGL driver for Max2D?

popcade(Posted 2008) [#7]
Isn't that Max3D going to have?

In Max3D you should do more with tricky shader 3D combination etc...

DStastny(Posted 2008) [#8]
I havent been on line in a while..

@MGE I have seen a couple of comments regarding stablity of the Dx9 Max2d module that I wrote.

If you would care to share or provide an example of your problem, I would be more than willing to look at it. The only known issue that arose are it does not work correctly on older Intel Chipsets. Although all my requests for people with that chipset have never been responded too to attempt to find resolution.

There was also a bug in the early 1.26/28 (cant remember) with issues with reflection that required a fix to the compiler. That has been corrected. Also issues caused by bugs in the BMAX debugger could cause problems single stepping if you wound up in the Dx9 codde. This too to my knowledge has been corrected. These two issues where not driver problem but BMAX problems.

Now if you would provide a working example that demonstrates this "instablility" and possibliy some feedback on what hardware you are experiencing the problem I might be able to address the issues.

Regards
Doug Stastny

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#9]
Budman; Do you still have a download link for your DX9 module somewhere?

Winni(Posted 2008) [#10]

I think it's time to think about the immediate future of 2D games in Blitzmax and Max2D.

DX9 has a powerful sprite object that would make drawing, batching sprites very easy. Much easier and faster than DX7.

The only problem with that is that BlitzMax is positioned as a multi-platform programming language, and it does not make much sense to implement a one-platform-only technology for a multi-platform product.

DStastny(Posted 2008) [#11]
@xlsior I just realized that something has gone very wrong with my hosted site. I am looking into finding alternative repository. So at this time I dont have a working link.

@Winni - the point of being MAX is cross platform however it was designed to provide diver layers for things like Max2d.

I am not even going to discuss the OpenGL vs DirectX thing as that is just waste of time. Needless to say they both have there compatibility issues regardless of the concept of Cross platform.

Doug Stastny

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#12]
@xlsior I just realized that something has gone very wrong with my hosted site. I am looking into finding alternative repository. So at this time I dont have a working link.

I had an old link that went to something like smokenmirrors.com, but that one no longer worked -- I found that prefixing the www made the site itself come up OK, but the file in question apparently no longer exists.

Amon(Posted 2008) [#13]
Send it to me and I'll host it. My email is in my profile.

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#14]
http://www.abrexxes.huntingsoftware.de/blitz/dx9tests.rar

I dont know if it is the lattest version.

History
-------
0.1 Initial Test release - Sept. 18 2006
0.2 Dx9Max2dGraphicsDriver
- revised handling of Pixmap to Texture
0.2 DX9Graphics
- fixed issue with _InScene variable when D3DDevice Recreated
- revised DeleteDevice Object to Queue objects for deletion. Allows delete for object to be called while handling message
0.2 Dx9Max2dGraphicsDriver
- changed textures management to use DEVICECREATE/DESTROY Message improve alt/tab or display change response
- fixed issue deletion queue not always purging deleted objects until shutdown
0.3 DX9Graphics
- updated to 1.24 fixed issue with order of imports resolving
0.3 Dx9Max2dGraphicsDriver
- changed to BRL 1.24 Max2d implementation
0.4 DX9Graphics
- complete rewrite, better match to brl 1.24 Dx7 driver model to access raw interfaces
- usage of swapchains for multiple render targets when using MAXGUI
- used swapchain to flip to control VSYNC without reseting devivce
0.4 Dx9Max2dGraphicsDriver
- updated to new version of Dx9GraphicsDriver
Feb 24,2007
0.5 Dx9Max2dGraphicsDriver
- revised Driver Message Sink to detach upon DestroyMessage since implies context nonlonger valid
0.5 DX9Graphics
-added Cap checking and ablitlty to get caps for current display adapter

bye

DStastny(Posted 2008) [#15]
@Abrexxes
Thanks, that is the last public release.

Doug