Plase test this

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Plase test this

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm creating a set-up utility for blitzMax modules. This utility uses a standard wizard display to install a module, compile it if needed after coping the files to the correct location and even generate the documentation, all in a single self-extracting exe. This utlity is meant also for installing several modules in a single wizard, or even install complete frameworks.
This is the first setup application generated by this utility. this setup will install a module called testmod.fontmachine in your blitzmax setup (you can delete the testmod folder after the setup test, no other files will be modified during installation).
I want to be sure everything works well on both XP and Vista with UAC off machines.
get it here: http://www.blide.org/posts/module_setup_3.exe

Obviously all text displayed on the wizard is there for testing only. It will be customizable by the setup modules creator.
thanks!

[EDIT:] changed the link to a fixed one, as I detected a possible unhandled exception.

The benefits of this way to distribute modules:
-Open source modules:
Only the sourcecode can be included in the wizard package, and the self extracting application can compile the module and generate documentation at setup time. This reduces the size of the package drstically. Not to mention that the entire package is already compressed using the NRV algorithm so it is *small*.
Users don't have to deal with the command line commands to install the module, when the wizard says it is ready, it is really ready to be imported.
The wizard can optionally check for the correct setup of MinGW, so if the module compilation requieres minGW on the host machine, and the wizard is suposed to compile the module, the user will be promted to install MinGW first (prerequisite), and will optionally be redirecte to an online step-by-step guide on how to install MinGW on windows.
-Non Open Source Modules:
This package doesn't let the user install the module by coping files in the wrong place, and provides a nice customizable user interface to help the module being installed properly. So you avoid a lot of 'I can't install the module' support requests. You can provide the module in a pre-compiled way without source code and documentation already built too, to protect your code from being lamed.

Obviously this is just a first test of a work in progress.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Works on WindowXP Pro.

Is it possible to add syntax highlighting for non-open-source modules? This has been a problem for my users.

This will be great, I get a lot of questions about module installation, and it is annoying to have to copy folders.

Can you make it check for a required version of BlitzMax? My engine module requires BlitzMax 1.30.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#3]
Is it possible to add syntax highlighting for non-open-source modules?
I'm working on this. I will provide a way for BLIde Plus users to generate a intermediate file with intellisense for non open source modules that can be used by BLIde Free Edition users. This file could be added to the module distro and this way, it should work 'out of the box'. this will also include the documentation to the generated intermediate file, so intellisense will be much more self-explanatory.

Can you make it check for a required version of BlitzMax?
Yes, that may be very easy.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#4]
The set-up wizard will use the version idenifier provided by the bcc compiler to determine the current BlitzMax version. will this be enough?

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#5]
Sure. I didn't know that the BCC version was embedded in a compiled module.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#6]
No, it is not included, but the set-up exe can call the bcc utility of the target computer and compare it to the requested version (that will be included in the wizard script). The idea behind this is that the set-up module creator is based on a script-like language. The set-up creator generates executables using the blitzmax compiler, so at that pass, the used max-compiler version number can be embeded in the set-up exe. The good news is that you won't have to deal with the script as I'm working on a simple sert-up creator utility where you'll set all the files involed in the setup, any additional actions (build after install, generate docs after install, etc.) All needed checks (mingw requiered, speciffic max version, etc.) are also included in the generated set-up.
I'm still a little bit far from a first beta, but I'll make an open beta as soon as possible.