problems with brucey's irrKlang and irrKlangAudio

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/problems with brucey's irrKlang and irrKlangAudio

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

somehow I don't get the examples running. I downloaded both modules, put them into /mod/bah.mod/ and rebuilded all modules + documentation.

When I start the example codes (I put the dll's into the same folder) I get always an error. By example:

When I start the example_01.bmx or example_02.bmx in irrklangaudio.mod/examples I get an Unhandled Exception: Attempt to access field or method of Null object in irrklang.bmx line 202.

When I start the example_03.bmx in irrklangaudio.mod/examples I get a Unhandled Memory Exeption Error in IrrklangAudio.bmx line 138.

Someone here who can help me? (System: WinXP, BMax Version 1.30)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
I just downloaded the combi release, built the mods, and tried them out here. All three work as expected.

What happens when you try the examples included in the irrklang.mod/examples? Same problems?

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2008) [#3]
In the 3DSound.bmx I get an error in line 38
music.setMinDistance(5.0)

Unhandled Exception: Unhandled Memory Exception Error.

In HelloWorld.bmx I get an error in line 23
_engine.Play2D("media/getout.ogg", True)

Unhandled Exception: Unhandled Memory Exception Error.

and in MemoryPlayback.bmx I get an error in line 32
_engine.AddSoundSourceFromMemory(IncbinPtr("media/getout.ogg"), IncbinLen("media/getout.ogg"), "testsound.ogg")

Also an Unhandled Exception: Unhandled Memory Exception Error.
This Error I traced till irrklang.bmx line 125.

When I download the examples directly from irrlicht, the .exe samples there are working fine.

You said "All three work as expected.", but I just saw 2 mod files (or do you mean the Mac OS thing?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
And you're using the DLLs that came with the module? (1.04)

I've also tried 1.10, and those DLLs worked too.

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes, I took just 1.04 provided with the package. (Beforehand I tried with 1.10, but it didn't work).

Hmm, I'll delete both modules and try it again.

edit: still there.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
Can you email me one of the example exe's that isn't working, so that I can try it here please?
Interested to know if it is the compiled code or your PC that is the problem.

Address listed in my profile.

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2008) [#7]
I sent it to you. I just tried it also on my other pc here at home, and it's also not working. I uninstalled whole BMax, and set it up from the scatch.

Maybe I'd something wrong?

- I downloaded your combi release.
- I unzipped it and put the two folders irrklang.mod and irrklangaudio.mod into the folder BaH.mod. So now they are under
BMax\mod\BaH.mod\irrklang.mod
BMax\mod\BaH.mod\irrklangaudio.mod

- Now I started BMax and started Tools\RebuildAllModules

- Then I copied the two .dll files irrKlang.dll and ikpMP3.dll into the examples folder of irrklang.mod. I compiled the example 3dsound.bmx and got an error.

Maybe I missed something stupid?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#8]
Your exe's didn't work here either... I've sent you back builds of mine, for you to try out.

You might have to make the folder "bah.mod" rather than "BaH.mod"... it does sometimes make a difference.

btw, you should only have to "Build Modules". "Rebuild All Modules" takes such a long time...

I can't see you've done anything wrong other than perhaps that folder name.

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2008) [#9]
I changed the "BaH.mod" into "bah.mod", but it's still not working.

You know, I'wouldn't wonder if it wasn't the same error on my two different pc's.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#10]
How did my exe's compare on your system? They run fine here. I would hope for the same on your side.

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2008) [#11]
Your exe's are working fine. But mine not.

I'm using the BlitzMax Version 1.3 (no SVN) with BMax GUI.
My System is WinXP Home SP3.

I'm really confused...
(By the way, your other modules are working well)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#12]
That's a strange one indeed!

I am running here, XP Pro, SP2 (I think), with BlitzMax 1.30 + GUI.
My Windows is running on Parallels (on Mac), but that won't make a difference - if anything, it would be less likely to work!

I am also using MinGW 5.1.4 - this is important. Make sure you are running 5.1.x.

My modules *should* generally work everywhere (I hope that's not being over-confident?), since unless stated otherwise, they are built to run on all platforms that BlitzMax supports. Yours sounds pretty typical, but there appears to be something not compiling properly for your binaries to be failing like that.

One thing to note. If you "updated" your MinGW from an older version to 5.1.x, by installing over the old version, that can cause all kinds of strange issues. If you installed fresh, then that shouldn't be the problem.

I can't think of anything else for now...

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2008) [#13]
got it.

Somehow I messed up my MinGW installation on both systems, or maybe it was cause it was not the current version (it was 5.1.3). I uninstalled everything related to BMax and MinGW and made a complete reinstall. After that it works fine now on both systems.

But anyway, thank you very much for your great help!

FDM