DLL Function Pointers Declared With "win32"

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/DLL Function Pointers Declared With "win32"

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

I've spent the entire afternoon tracking down a problem whereby some of my DLL code worked fine in Debug mode, but not in Release mode. 2 minutes ago, after deciding to call it a day, I noticed that some of the DLL function pointers had "win32" after them, and some didn't. For example,

Global DrawThemeText( hTheme%, hDC%, iPartID%, iStateID%, pszText$w, iCharCount%, dwTextFlags%, dwTextFlags2%, pRect:Int Ptr ) "win32" = GetProcAddress(libUXTheme, "DrawThemeText")
	Global GetThemeBackgroundContentRect( hTheme%, hdc%, iPartId%, iStateId%, pBoundingRect:Int Ptr, pContentRect:Int Ptr ) "win32" = GetProcAddress(libUXTheme, "GetThemeBackgroundContentRect")
	Global IsThemeBackgroundPartiallyTransparent( hTheme%, iPartId%, iStateId% ) = GetProcAddress(libUXTheme, "IsThemeBackgroundPartiallyTransparent")
As I'm interfacing with the Windows API, I added "win32" to the remaining function pointers, hit compile, and everything worked brilliantly.

What the hell does "win32" actually do? I can't see it documented anywhere, but it's just wasted several hours of my life!!!! (Calm down Seb, take deep breaths)

Anyone any ideas?

Edit: They also seem to have a use after Methods, and Extern blocks.

Azathoth(Posted 2008) [#2]
From what I can tell it makes the function use the stdcall calling convention.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#3]
From what I can tell it makes the function use the stdcall calling convention.

Oh... I've never heard of stdcall before, but I looked it up on Google and it seems to make sense. Thanks.

Not sure why it was working in debug but not release mode, though...

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#4]
The wrong calling convention usually corrupts memory and causes an error after the actual call itself. So it's possible that there was just a bit more code in debug and it had more chance to throw an error. It can be a real SOB to debug incorrect calling conventions, so you probably got off lightly with several hours. I know I've done worse.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#5]
It gives you STD.