Particles system

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Particles system

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#1]
So
After roughly read this topic http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=76706#860840

I'm wondering if anybody successfully created a robust particles system and would be generous enough to sharing-it ?
Or then, does anyone has good extensive documentation about particles system ?

I enjoy solution like :
- splash ( http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75201 ) but no news about it
- Pyro ( http://pyro.fenomen-games.com/ ) unfortunately very expensive for casual games and still a lot of work to do with SDK
- HGE ( http://hge.relishgames.com/ ) but there isn't any portable SDK out of the box.

Because they came with particles editors.
I found very weird there isn't any good particles engine specific to BlitzMax.
There maybe modules like the Yahfree ( http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=78008#874898 ) but they often look incomplete.

I will probably develop my own particles system from what I can read here and there and specially adapt it to my game.
But as many others already discuss the question I though it would be better to share experiences on this.

This also had links with the particular slow down of using MAX2D rendering system...

Thanks

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
My framework has a particle system, but I'm afraid it's not free. I've used it for my last 3 games. It's very comprehensive and allows you to attached special user defined movement and action functions to each particle, and difference phases so their movement is scripted etc. It doesn't have an editor though - it's on my to do list ;-)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hi Grey Alien
Your framework look very interesting but unfortunately I have already develop my own framework and since I'm working on it for a few month I won't be able to switch.
I was also thinking about a more open-source or community usage of this particles system as it's something many games require.

By the way, does your framework using some kind of rendering methods that work better than the Max2D one ?
I'm asking this since the current "bottleneck" of my game is about rendering.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#4]
Any sprite rendering system is really just a particle system. Okay so particles sometimes are used to do certain effects or whatever but let's face it, they're just sprites with a few bells and whistles which could apply to any sprite in the game. In my engine I'm just creating a single mass particle system and using it for all graphics objects.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#5]
It's not totally false but I'm very interested by how many bells and whistles we can add to control in the best condition those sprites :)

Said like this even a physics engine is trivial since it's only "things moving around".

There are interesting things to do with particles system for examples :
- Emiters (Line, area, point,...)
- Orientation (Random, Fixed, Aligned,..)
- Z-order
- Life Time
- Quantity
- Size
- Speed
- Spin
- Forces
- Color/Alpha Life
- Emission (Force, Angle, Arc, Random Motion,...)
- Timed evolution
- Sub-Emiters
- Collisions

MGE(Posted 2008) [#6]
Internal max2d rendering is fine as is. If you are experiencing bottle necks on decent systems then your code is at fault, or you're simply trying to render too many particles. Yes there are a few ways you can speed rendering up, which works on older machines. But the need for this is shrinking rapidly.

One trick I'm using is to create a sprite image that looks like there is more than 1 particle in it, then when rendered with a few other similar objects, the overall look appears to have much more visual activity. ;)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#7]
...which all apply to pretty much any sprite, so you might just as well make a fancy sprite engine and call it a particle system.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#8]
@JGOware
My code seems fine.
I'm working with multiple viewport (and a rough culling system) to split the screen in 4.
It's not things are slow it's just that rendering stuff take most of the time and I know this work could be speed up, for example with a pipeline system or something.
This would allow more things on the screen which isn't a bad idea :)

@ImaginaryHuman
... So well let call this a fancy sprite engine then.
This isn't very helpful if I'm searching a particles system with that key words but who knows ^^

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#9]
Yep, the basic Max2D rendering code is quite inefficient, which is why you'll find that is a major bottleneck.
The problem is that the code has needed to be abstracted in such a way as to make it more flexible.
If you were to deal directly with the graphics backend, and avoid all the intermediate transformations etc that are made on each call, you would get more through-put.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#10]
@Armitage 1982: No special rendering on my system, although I have in place some code form a customer that uses single surface textures and also some render pipeline caching stuff that gives a speed boost but still in all practical terms it's about 10%. I haven't bothered to use Particle Pooling yet, may do in the future. Also my particles are flexible with many purposes, so of course if you have a very specific purpose in mind for a particle you can cut out lots of code and speed it up.

Jake L.(Posted 2008) [#11]
Splash is still beeing developed. Unfortunately my day job keeps me busy (needs 150% of my time) at the moment, but better times will come. I'm sure about it!

Best regards
Jake

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#12]
There's the Smash Particle Engine which comes with the editor and code.
It doesn't use any funky low-level bypasses just Bmax commands and seems to do OK.
The best Particle system information I have seen is from 2D Special Effects in DirectX which also includes editor information.
<edit> There were 3 systems which provided source code at one point :
ParticleDreams frpom Dreamora but source was removed due to lack of feedback.
ParticleSky from Suco-X but the link is dead
ParticleEngine from Filax but can't find it anymore. There was a suggestion of ParticleEngine2 but not heard much recently.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#13]
"Yep, the basic Max2D rendering code is quite inefficient..."

100% disagree. And so would a few games such as "Bullet Candy", "Annihilation", etc. Granted, there is no internal batching, etc, but again, this is really only an issue if you want a zillion things rendered on an older integrated system. And if you're wanting to render 1000's of particles, sprites, etc, at 60fps or better, you're going to need modern hardware anyway.

One observation I can make is, I've seen several Bmax demos/games using fairly large sprites on high resolution screens. Go down to 800x600 and use smaller sprites and you will get better frame rates with a small loss in visual "pizzazz".

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#14]
Relatively speaking the Max2D code is okay speed but it can get quite a bit faster.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#15]
There once was internal batching and all it made was make the whole thing slower actually.
On any real 3d cards, the OpenGL driver will already lead to batching like behavior through the driver from what it seems from my benchmarks. Thought as well that it is pretty slow so I wrote an own prototype driver for Kamaya (2D game dev framework that is on hold for an undefined amount of time). The result was that it ran at the same speed as the regular OpenGL one.

the only thing thats slow is the DX7 driver but that is not BMs fault. Back in DX7 days, NVIDIA and ATI didn't have high end monsters and the higher end monsters just didn't get optimized DX7 drivers anymore. For intel its even worse: back in DX7 days they did not have any 3D card at all. they didn't reach DX7 GPU capability level until GMA900 at all.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#16]
Using things like vertex arrays, vertex buffers and the like, you can make things faster.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#17]
Still, even on modest desktops from my own testing, you can get hundreds of sprites zipping around at 20-30fps. On more modern hardware, you can get several 1000 at 60fps. Again...I don't think it's that much of an issue. Are there faster solutions? Sure... DX9 for instance and the Sprite Object is very fast and once an official driver for Bmax /DX9 using the Sprite Object is available, we'll have a substantial speed increase. (The DX9 Sprite Object supports batching as well.) I would assume this is in the works. ? ?

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#18]
I think Max is pretty quick if you are intelligent about how you use it, like stick to the smallest pow2 size you can etc and don't fill the entire screen with particles etc. Plus write good code. You can definitely make a good game in Bmax that makes big money. At the end of the day most people would probably have more fun if they just got and made a game and didn't worry too much about a 10% speed increase by twiddling with the API or changing language imho.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#19]
Using things like vertex arrays, vertex buffers and the like, you can make things faster.

Hmmm... let's not start all that again.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#20]
Thanks for the Links TonyG
Don't know why all of these particles systems get lost though...
Sound's very handy to have a fast pre-made one.

Well like I said I started my own Particles system and add the needed math to get something good.
For the moment around 1000 particles (+ a platform game without game logic) run nicely.
I will probably optimize it a bit if needed when it's done.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#21]
Armitage, if you're interested, here's the source of my particle engine:

particles.bmx

Include/bParticles.bmx

Include/cParticles.cpp

The slowest part of the particle engine as of now is the constant allocation/delocation of the memory for each particle, this could be drastically improved with arrays, but I had to many problems with doing so, so I dropped that for now, the particle engine can handle upwards of 4500+ particles before slowing down(at least on my system)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#22]
"the particle engine can handle upwards of 4500+ particles before slowing down(at least on my system)"

Depending on GPU, your mileage will vary ofcourse. ;)

Why the need for C??????

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#23]
well I figure it's slightly faster doing all the updating in C++, plus I was learning C++ at the time.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#24]
What spec machine and graphic card do you have, getting the 4500 objects, and what size are the objects, and what resolution is the screen, and at what hertz rate?

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#25]
intel p4 3.0GHz processer, 3gb ram, windows xp, and a NVIDIA 9600GT gfx card

MGE(Posted 2008) [#26]
wow..that's not typical of a casual 2d gamer. ;)

Filax(Posted 2008) [#27]
Try to convert an old blitz3D particle engine ?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#28]
Wowza. So your gfx card is about 5 times faster than mine, which means your 4500 turns into around 1000 objects, which does not sound very fast?

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#29]
dunno, I can write a stress test app if you want to test it?

MGE(Posted 2008) [#30]
The main bottle neck is GPU not so much CPU. Then you have to consider the size of each particle, if you're scaling, rotating, alpha, even blend mode makes a difference. Squeezing a little bit of speed from an array system or compiled C code helps, but perhaps not much. I have an old computer with a good Geforce card that has frame rates faster than a brand spanking new Vista Laptop (DX or GL mode).

I'm guessing my MGE system v.s. YahFree or ImaginaryHuman's or Grey's system would all come very close, because we're all at the mercy of the built in gpu engine.

The only way one of our particle engines could really outperform another substantially would be if we coded our own low level batch system in DX7 or OpenGL and even that may not yield much better results depending what you're doing. And if you need that much of a performance increase you're probably dealing with a hardcore audience who will more than likely have a modern gpu anyway.

I've downloaded particle demos, sprite demos, game demos, in Blitzmax the past few months and not one has really out performed the other as far as rendering speed. I did see a few OpenGL only demos that did some cool stuff, but who wants to code a game that requires a specific GPU Driver?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#31]
Thanks Yahfree
Well at the moment I was telling you I was working on my own particle system I finished it a few hour after.
On my AMD X2 2ghz and 1go ram Nvidia 7600 GS my platform game running a full blitzmax particles system at 6000 particles without fps drop (currently 60 fps).

I've add a tweening start/end function for every parameters (arc, angles, scale, spawn, speed, color, gravity, frame, etc.) with variance, random values and for the moment only use a linear motion. I can tell that BlitzMax is very robust so any optimisation of that kind won't be necessary for casual games.

I have something similar to the HGE particle system which is really enough for me.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#32]
Yeah either you would aim to make it as fast as possible to work better on higher end systems or just in general so that people with slower computers get a better framerate, which is still attractive. My particle engine is in pieces at the moment so I can't really test or compare it but I hope it will be efficient. When you're dealing with large numbers of things, small speedups on the micro scale can turn into big speedups on the macro scale.

For casual games or games with less effects I guess it doesn't really matter so much how fast it is so long as it's fast enough for a reasonable amount of action like most retro games or casual games. I'm aiming for 10's of thousands of particles on my system as well as every particle colliding with every other particle, so we'll see how it goes.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#33]
"I'm aiming for 10's of thousands of particles on my system as well as every particle colliding with every other particle, so we'll see how it goes."

Can't wait for the benchmark test for that one. ;)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#34]
You right ^^
Also, The time I complete my game the middleware computer will be far more powerful than the one i'm using right now for developing it :)
They already talk about quadcore and so on...

10k particles with collision seem challenging though !

MGE(Posted 2008) [#35]
All you peeps coding a zillion things moving around, for pete's sake, test it on low end gpu's just for the fun of it. Nothing like seeing something that was running at 200fps or greater run at 20fps or less. A real eye opener in some cases. ;)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#36]
True. My GPU is an ATI X1600 128mb, about twice the speed of an NVidea GeForce 4 FX at only 2 billion texels/sec, compared with some of the 20-80 billion/sec at the high end, it's not exactly state of the art but is some 10-40 times slower and is roughly what you get on the lowest end iMac these days.

I'm not sure I'll have 10's of thousands of particles on the viewable screen area at once, but they will all be still moving and animating off-screen with maybe a few thousand visible at a time. But collisions and stuff still needs to happen for all objects all the time no matter where they are.

If you think about physics, in order for a physics model to be stable and continuous you have to simulate the interactions of all objects everywhere all the time, not just in some isolated local area. That means handling thousands of off-screen objects in addition to what you can see.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#37]
Yeah I test my stuff on a Vista Laptop and an old ME machine to see if it's stinky and slow and if so I tweak the particle count (down).