OSX 10.5 Sound Issue

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/OSX 10.5 Sound Issue

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi, I've had this reported by a few different customers now.

Basically my framework uses FreeAudio for Mac and sometimes customers have reported that the game stops playing sounds after a while (I don't know if they mean mid-game or on loading the game up on a separate occasion). They exit and restart the game and it still doesn't play - that's because I have a line which says:

If SetAudioDriver(driver$) Then
   'blah

And if the driver sets correctly, driver% is stored in the ini, if it fails "none" is stored in the ini. When they are restarting the game, the above code fails and "none" is getting stored in the ini.

The resolution appears to reboot then edit the ini to put back "FreeAudio" as the sound driver.

So has anyone else experienced sound stopping on the Mac and also SetAudioDriver FAILING to return 1?

Thx in advance.

computercoder(Posted 2008) [#2]
Does this occur in all your games Grey? Or is this just the framework customers reporting?

Anyrate, I'm gonna see on my end if it does that as well. I have a MB Pro (intel) with 10.5.4 installed. To answer your question, I've not noticed anything like this yet tho.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
I've had it reported for Fairway Solitaire which is the only game I've made that has achieved a big Mac audience. I get the feeling it's fairly rare as the Mac version has had thousands of sales and I've only had this reported a few times. It may be some particular sound driver that is causing the problem.