Need help with code snippet using trig.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Need help with code snippet using trig.

JoJo(Posted 2008) [#1]
I downloaded this code from the net that draws a circle using the sine and cosine functions, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in Max.

Code I converted to Max:

And here is the code written in C using Allegro:

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#2]
Different example, although I believe you're looking for the same thing:

Const Radius:Int = 100
Const Step_Angle:Float = 2.0
Const ScreenWidth:Int = 800
Const ScreenHeight:Int = 600

Global Angle:Int = 0

Graphics ScreenWidth,ScreenHeight

SetColor 255, 255, 255

Cls

While angle < 360

Local X:Int = (ScreenWidth * 0.5) + (Radius * Sin(angle))
	Local Y:Int = (ScreenHeight * 0.5) + (Radius * Cos(angle))
	Plot(x,y)
	Angle:+Step_Angle
Wend

Flip
WaitKey

Edit: If this is your first time getting into small trig, you're probobly just about to hit a time in coding that starts to really get fun, especially when messing around with fractal stuff. And even understanding this small bit will get you through a LOT of 3d formulas. Good luck.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
Remember that BlitzMax works in Degrees, and your example expects Radians... :-)

JoJo(Posted 2008) [#4]
@Retimer
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to using math routines instead of writing hacks.
I figure its about time. I wish I would have started 10-15 years ago though.

@Brucey
Ah...thanks! It's working now!

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#5]
And just as an aside, what you're doing there has nothing to do with trigonometry.

JoJo(Posted 2008) [#6]
@Rob Farley
I thought the sine and cosine functions were trigonometry functions.

plash(Posted 2008) [#7]
I thought the sine and cosine functions were trigonometry functions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometry
win.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#8]
I'm not sure who's winning what but Sine and Cosine functions are used in Trigonometry, however, Sine and Cosine functions do not equal trigonometry.

pmc(Posted 2008) [#9]
sine and cosine are two of the three primary trigonometric functions. This thread (and the code) are entirely about trigonometry.

That said, I've been coding a bunch of vector object transformations this way and I really enjoyed stick-building the math code and re-aquainting myself with basic high-school and undergrad math.

-pmc

sswift(Posted 2008) [#10]
And trigonometry deals with triangles. And how do you draw a circle on a computer screen? By calculating lots and lots of triangles. One for each pixel in fact.

Each pixel in a circle is one point of a right triangle, where the point's radius is the length of the hypoteneuse, the point's X coordinate is the length of the opposite side, and the point's Y coordinate is the length of the adjacent side.

Trigonometry! Ta da!