Blizmax still does not center windows on creation

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blizmax still does not center windows on creation

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#1]
I seriously cannot believe how unprofessional this is years down the line.

deps(Posted 2008) [#2]
I seriously cannot believe how this can be important!
But then again, an optional argument to graphics that centers the window would not be a bad idea for people who think this is important.

It behaves just like any other application, it will try to position itself so it doesn't cover other open applications. But most games is usually fullscreen.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
Isn't it terrible? It almost makes me want to stop using BlitzMax altogether.

If only we had access to the source, we could spend 2 minutes making it work ourselves... oh well...

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#4]
Stuff auto-centering windows is really bloody annoying if you have two monitors (like me). You end up having to drag every window that opens so you can actually use it without breaking your eyes. ;)

So, please, leave the window positioning to the OS. :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
If only we had access to the source, we could spend 2 minutes making it work ourselves... oh well...
lol :D

So, please, leave the window positioning to the OS. :)
Windows XP has none.

Winni(Posted 2008) [#6]
Brucey, I like your sarcasm. ;-)

But in defense of the original poster, I don't think that customers should patch source codes themselves. All you get in the end is a messy versioning nightmare, and you won't be coding on top of a supported platform. (Ok, I agree that support is not a big issue in the BlitzMax niche...)

By the way, on OS X for PowerPC, we still have to use your version of the Pixmap module if we want to use your Cairo module; BRL still have not fixed that, although they have merged many of your other modifications with their original sources.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#7]
we still have to use your version of the Pixmap module

I never got around to actively pushing for it to be added. I could do :-)

Picklesworth(Posted 2008) [#8]
At this level, it is the window manager's job to find a comfortable spot for that window. An application itself should not reverse its influence backwards onto the desktop environment, because the environment knows best.
If Windows' window manager is a piece of garbage, then so be it; Mac OS's and most Linuxes' window managers are not.

In other words, I don't think it is a good idea to have the window position hard-coded in the basic libraries here. Having said that, a little "PositionWindowNicely" function would be nice.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#9]
There's some workarounds for centering the window in this thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=66129

MGE(Posted 2008) [#10]
Granted, you can do it yourself, but I agree, an optioinal argument passed to center window = true or false should be added.

Blueapples(Posted 2008) [#11]
If this is a big deal... uh...

How are you ever going to finish your game/application? You're going to run into hundreds of things like this in any complex application, it's just sort of the way it is.

popcade(Posted 2008) [#12]
@Lowcs

Buy Grey Alien's Game Framework, and you'll be very happy :)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#13]

I guess you think you're clever for saying that, but sadly you're not because:

* I need to change the source every time something is updated
* every app I've ever used in windows in recent years, centers the window on first run

It a very simple basic need for a game to open in the middle, and just one of the many unprofessional things in blitzmax.

If you can't take criticism from customers, don't sell.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#14]

So something BRL could have added quite simply then?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#15]
Or buy MaxGUI.