Survey: How may times have you made Pong?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Survey: How may times have you made Pong?

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#1]
If you are a stupid amatuer like me, you have spent many weekends trying the latest programming area of interest for developing your next game. Java, .NET, C++, SDL, DX Game Engine. blah, blah.

I spend more time surveying game tech than writing games - at least until BlitzMax which I have been with for at least a year.

Has anybody else re-written Pong 3 or more times to try out a library - or is it just me.

Is there medication I should be taking? Is there a support group?

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#2]
I have never gotten to the point of writng a game with another language, whenever I try a new language its flaws (compared to blitzmax) become apparent quite soon and I just go back to max.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2008) [#3]
I wrote 60s 3d pong in the code archives for fun. Was ment to be 10 line limit or something, don't remember.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#4]
I always write an asteroids clone when I am learning a new language. I have probably written 8 asteroids clones over the years. I even wrote one in BlitzMax when I first learned it a year or two ago...

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yeah. Asteroids was the first thing I wrote in BMAX. I extended the "asteroids in about an hour" tutorial to "Asteroids in a few months".

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#6]
Never.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#7]
Never. I wrote text adventures before anything else.

Wiebo(Posted 2008) [#8]
Never. Did an Asteroids during developement of my 2d vector engine, but never released it

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#9]
I have written pong a few times for testing a new language because it is just soo easy to create.

To learn the basics of a programming language it's best to start of with something simple. The first pong like game I made was under Qbasic just using lines and circles on a 286, but it wasn't the first computer I started programming on. First computer I learned MS Basic on is my trusty Sony HitBit MSX and in there I learned all from books.

In Qbasic it wasn't more than drawing a line on the bottom controlled by keyboard and a circle which moved arround.
Second version was with one line on the left and one on the right in which you need to try to keep the circle in the middle.

After that I bought BlitzBasic 2 on the Amiga because some of the best games where written in it like Skidmarks and lot's of others.
And the first game in it was Pong once again and this time I used graphics drawn in Deluxe Paint and grabbed them with Blitz to use them in the game. I even made a CPU player to play against.

After switching to Windows I never really programmed because I didn't like the other languages. A friend of mine stumbled onto this website because of some remakes. After he told me it wasn't hard for me to buy BlitzMax. But in BlitzMax I didn't start with Pong, but with Grey's tutorial on how to create a shooting game.

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#10]
Only the once. A little challenge to myself to start from scratch and have it running by the end of the lunchbreak. This was just after I'd bought Max. Took about 1hr 5mins in the end. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#11]
never :/

My first game was a worm clone on the BBCb and then a basic shootemup on the spectrum 48

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#12]
Typed one in from a magazine 20 years ago. Never wrote one.

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#13]
I'm not sure, perhaps once when I was learning my first programming language (DIV Games Studio)

SoggyP(Posted 2008) [#14]
Hello.

I have made many a pong...I can't believe I'm the first to make that joke.

Goodbye.

Vilu(Posted 2008) [#15]
Breakout is the one I've done a few times when learning the ropes of a new language. Not with Blitz, though. Actually I didn't write a single line of Blitz code towards a game before I started with my current overly ambitious project. That decision cost me a total re-write of the entire codebase early into the project. :P

Will(Posted 2008) [#16]
5-6

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#17]
None times for me. I tend to aim for things a bit more exciting, like solitaire :-p

H&K(Posted 2008) [#18]
I always write Tron as my learning program

plash(Posted 2008) [#19]
I usually end up doing asteroids, but I've done a few pong remakes in the original blitzbasic.

Curtastic(Posted 2008) [#20]
Yep

Wrote it in QBASIC DOS using ascii characters for graphics.
Wrote it in QBASIC graphically at school and played against friends.
Wrote it in my TI89 calculator in college.
Wrote it in Blitz3D.
Wrote it in Flash.

computercoder(Posted 2008) [#21]
I think everyone has their preferred game to write. Mine used to be simple old Tic-Tac-Toe (which I've lost count on how many times now). As for the past 7 or 8 years, I made up a game called Tank Vs UFO - somewhat stolen from the Commodore VIC20's manual game in the back named the same thing. I've rewritten this about 4 times now.

Ironically, I decided to *finish* the game and built a real game from the concept that plays something other than a game of 21 using BlitzMax. It's about 40% there now. You can see my crappy Windows version on my site

Anyways, I find it more fun to write a game in a language when learning it.

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#22]
ComputerCoder, I remember that book, that same game was actually my first game ever, on my first ever computer. At the time it had long been replaced by the TRS80 on which I tried to make my second game an early attempt at tron with ascii characters. Sudden flashback 8D.

computercoder(Posted 2008) [#23]
The VIC was my first ever computer (in 1981 when they appeared) and TVU was the first game I wrote on it too :) Ahh... the memories! My cousin and I were deep into King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, so we made a load of text adventures based on that with those old computers.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#24]
2. Once on an 8-bit computer and once in assembly on my Amiga. It wasn' pong though, it was breakout, does that count?