Synching Modules

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Synching Modules

Macguffin(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey all,

Can someone please explain to me what the deal is with non-standard BlitzMax modules? There at least used to be a bunch of axe modules, but now they seem to have never made the transition to 1.28. Are these not being maintained any more?

My goal here was to obtain the axe.lua module, which I finally dug up from here: http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=68845

The whole process took an amazingly long time, because first I had to find out why the CE IDE wouldn't load any of the Axe stuff (doesn't exist for 1.28), then figure out where I could get them (synch to 1.24), have that blow up my whole Blitz install (whee), then manage to find the above thread with just the Lua stuff... which, frankly, I still have no idea if it works in 1.28. Guess that's next.

Feh. Sometimes the lack of transparency on how to use Blitz makes me want to rip my hair out. Please pardon my venting.

One last question - is there any reason that the IDE would refuse to rebuild my modules? Ctrl-D doesn't work and the option is greyed out in the menu.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
In order to rebuild modules on Windows, you must have MinGW *click* set-up and installed which compiles the parts of the BlitzMax modules that are written in C/C++.

Macguffin(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks Seb - I do already have MinGW set up as per a post I tracked down a while back while installing Grey Alien's Framework. I can actually rebuild my modules using BLIde, but run into this issue with the MaxIDE and the community edition of the same.

(feeling calmer now ;) )

Otus(Posted 2008) [#4]
Are you sure you have MinGW in your PATH? Are you using Vista?

Macguffin(Posted 2008) [#5]
*double checks path*

On XP, and I have "c:\MinGW\bin" at the end of my path.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
And the environment variable, MINGW ?

Macguffin(Posted 2008) [#7]
Bingo! Thanks, guys!

The instructions I had used specified that you only needed the environment variable if you were in Vista, so I didn't do that.

Macguffin(Posted 2008) [#8]
Bumping - I'm still very curious what the deal is on all those other modules. Anyone?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
The instructions I had used specified that you only needed the environment variable if you were in Vista, so I didn't do that.
Which instructions were you using?

There's three environment variables you need - you have to add the MinGW one in every version of windows, modify the Path one on every version of windows, and if you have Vista you also need to add the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX one *and* copy a few files from one place to another. I wrote a guide which can be found over on Syntaxbomb - do a forum search for "MinGW".

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#10]
I think Axe Lua hasn't been brought forward to the 1.28 syncmods repository. It might only be on 1.26, so you would require a 1.26 version of BlitzMax to pick it up, probably...

Or... maybe some kind soul has a recent version available that they can provide you...

or... I believe Skid is in the process of migrating his Axe modules to a different repository, but I have no ETA on that I'm afraid.

I don't have them here, I'm afraid.

Macguffin(Posted 2008) [#11]
GfK - weird, I thought I had gotten the instructions from a Syntax post - but either I'm not finding it now or I just muffed the install. My odds are on two. ;) Thanks.

Brucey - ok, thanks. In any case, I ended up switching over to BriskVM, so now moot.