FireWire Interface?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/FireWire Interface?

KrayzBlu(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

I'm looking at using my own home-made piece of hardware for a game that connects via a firewire port (on a mac). Is there any easy way to interface with the port low-level in BlitzMax, or is that simply out of the program's scope?

Thanks,
KrayzBlu

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
Check out the Firewire SDKs (26 for 10.5 and 20 for 10.4) at http://developer.apple.com/sdk/

Includes documentation and examples on accessing the Firewire stack etc.

You would need to implement some of the code in Cocoa, probably, and then add to that some comparative BlitzMax wrapping/API.

Good luck :-)

KrayzBlu(Posted 2008) [#3]
... I give up. I'm definately not a low-level coder. :(

Would anyone be interrested in working with me to write this code? I can offer ~$100 US (negotiable) and credit in compensation.

Thanks,
KrayzBlu

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#4]
I cannot help with the mac, but my first question would be about the hardware piece you made. What kind of hardware is it and did you pull some electronics out of an existing Firewire part and build that into your own hardware?

Maybe it needs a driver in the first place when it's not detected by the Mac itself, if that part works you would probably need some kind of library to translate stuff from your game to the hardware driver or backwards.

I do the same under Windows when I need to connect a webcam, relais interface card or something else on my computer and want to communicate with it using BlitzMax.

KrayzBlu(Posted 2008) [#5]
No, I built the hardware myself. It currently doesn't have any ROM, and I'm not sure if ROM data is required for detection. But that can be easily done. Do you find that it's usually pretty easy to interface hardware with BlitzMax?

Building on top of Apple's FireWire APIs would of course be easiest, I think.