three wishes

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/three wishes

Stenley(Posted 2008) [#1]
At wirst, I want to say "hello" to all BlitzMax people.

I have three wishes to BlitzMax. The three wishes are:

1. OpenSource
2. Cross-Compiler
3. Proceural Programming

1. OpenSource
I like OpenSource and I used mostly FreeBASIC last time.
But the disadvantage of FreeBASIC is, that it have still not so much nice libaries. Still there existing no minib3d-port to FreeBASIC and still MacOSX of the three big platforms (Linux, Windows, MacOSX) is not supported by FreeBASIC.

So I have now buyed BlitzMax, because it runs on all three platforms. I am very happy, that BlitzMax exists also on the OpenSource OperatingSystem Linux.

But is it possioble, to open BlitzMax more for the OpenSource-world?
For example putting BlitzMax under the GPLv2 and/or GPLv3. Then it isn't allowed to create closed-source programs with it. For closed source programs, BlitzMax have to be buyd. A similar stategy like Trolltech doing with its Qt.

Also you can give only every BlitzMax version four years later under the GPL free. So that people, who wants the newest version, needs also to buy BlitzMax.

But that solutions have lots of advantages for OpenSource-fans like me.
Giving code free under an OpenSource license, where the compiler and the libaries are closed source and only some people who have buyed the Compiler-suite, can use the source-code makes not much sense.

But if I know, that the compiler and the libaries will be four years later under the GPL, it makes sense. Because the code which people produce with the newest BlitzMax can in four years used by every developer.

2. Cross-Compiler
The advantage of the Java-platform (I am not speaking about the language itself) is the "write once, run anywhere".
You need only develop a program on _one_ platform. And they will run on _any_ platform where Java is installed.
The disadvantage is, that Java is a virtual machine. So it starts slower, runs slower and/or needs more memory then native-code written programs.

On the other hand there are things like C++/Qt, BlitzMax, FreeBASIC and so on. It will be on any platform native be compiled.
But the disadvantage is, that you need all platforms, for which you create binaries.
For example AnaWiki creates only at the last time for all three platforms binarys. Most BlitzMax developer create only Windows-binaries, some only Mac-binaries, some Windows- and Mac-binaries or Windows- and Linux-binaries, but there are not much, who create binaries for all three platforms.

But have a look on the videos at the REAL-Basic side at
http://www.realbasic.com/products/realbasic/tour/
Especially I mean there the Chapter "Compiler".
There you can see, that it seems to be possible to create on _one_ platform binaries for _all three_ platforms.

At
http://community.freepascal.org:10000/lists/fpc-pascal/2005-January/007905
there is also a link how to make FreePascal to a cross-compiler.

And at
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9666
there stands something with freeBASIC about that.

3. Proceural Programming
For me the object oriented languages are something confusing.
I have also buyed PureBasic, because there it is easy to develop in GUI the non OOP way.
So I personally hope, that BlitzMax will every time support non OOP ways to develop in it. Or that it becomes very easy to learn OOP materials, so that also people like I am, learning how to develop in OOP.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#2]
Hi Stenley,

1. I don't think this is a realistic expectation. Mark has put a lot of effort into the project and makes his full time living from it. The modules are open source (for registered users) so you can edit them to your heart's content.

2. Cross compilation would be really nice, but I'm not sure what the technical issues are to implement it. I think you would need access to the platform you wish to run on anyway to at least test the binaries before they go out. There are some differences between platforms.

3. Blitz already supports procedural programming. OOP is totally optional.

Azathoth(Posted 2008) [#3]
I'd prefer BlitzMax to be more OO

popcade(Posted 2008) [#4]
Oh.... no, NO MORE TOPIC LIKE THIS!

And, uh, hello.

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]

1. OpenSource
I like OpenSource and I used mostly FreeBASIC last time.
But the disadvantage of FreeBASIC is, that it have still not so much nice libaries. Still there existing no minib3d-port to FreeBASIC and still MacOSX of the three big platforms (Linux, Windows, MacOSX) is not supported by FreeBASIC.

So I have now buyed BlitzMax, because it runs on all three platforms. I am very happy, that BlitzMax exists also on the OpenSource OperatingSystem Linux.

But is it possioble, to open BlitzMax more for the OpenSource-world?
For example putting BlitzMax under the GPLv2 and/or GPLv3. Then it isn't allowed to create closed-source programs with it. For closed source programs, BlitzMax have to be buyd. A similar stategy like Trolltech doing with its Qt.

Also you can give only every BlitzMax version four years later under the GPL free. So that people, who wants the newest version, needs also to buy BlitzMax.

But that solutions have lots of advantages for OpenSource-fans like me.
Giving code free under an OpenSource license, where the compiler and the libaries are closed source and only some people who have buyed the Compiler-suite, can use the source-code makes not much sense.

But if I know, that the compiler and the libaries will be four years later under the GPL, it makes sense. Because the code which people produce with the newest BlitzMax can in four years used by every developer.
Uh.. what?

BlitzMax will never be open.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#6]
Better find Aladin's magic lamp and rubb it! XD

GfK(Posted 2008) [#7]
i want james bond style guns on my car and ejector seats and i want it to be able to go underwater and shoot lasers and drive by remote control.

since it can't do any of that, i'll just wait til they update it. not having any of this stuff is holding me back.

*looks up and puts back of hand on forehead, all thespian-like*...

Ian Thompson(Posted 2008) [#8]
Less OOP, the advanced OOP Basic market does no exist for a reason... its called C++... :P

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#9]
Don't be so harsh on the new comer.

Hello Stenley!